Allied Support Unit Attachments

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Q-Ball

Allied Support Unit Attachments

Post by Q-Ball »

Allies get piles and piles of support units. I am curious what everyone does with attachments. It seems like for starters one should attach 3 SUs to every division, because you have enough. But which ones?

Convert or not convert? I know it depends, because sometimes you want max combat power in a hex, and sometimes you just want units to hold ground. But in general, do you convert or not:

BR Tank Brigades: Do you break these down and use as attachments mostly? They are BEASTS as SUs.
US/BR Inf Regts/Bde: Same question....standalone, or attached?
US Cav: My instinct would be to leave them unattached, since they don't provide tons of combat power, but can be handy in a breakout situation. What do you think?

BN SUs:

Tank/SP TD: Seems like a no-brainer to attach all of them to units
Combat Engineers: I would be inclined to get one of them attached to every division; is that about right? This also means that the US will need to give some to the British.
AA Units: Here is where I am not sure what to do. The SP AA provides a little offensive push, so that seems like a good idea, but how much flak do you need? I wonder if it's better off in the HQ units. I also wonder if Allied flak fires vs. German AFVs, even though that was not Allied doctrine. 90mm can take out a Tiger, for sure.
SP Artillery: Same here; would you put in divisions, or keep at Corps level?

Baelfiin

RE: Allied Support Unit Attachments

Post by Baelfiin »

I don't think there is a one best way for multi role units, especially the Tank brigades. I have used them both ways, sometimes you need those extra counters on the map.
Infantry regt I think are best in corps or on map. I would rather put TD's or tanks or engineer in a division than another INF battalion.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”