In Italy, German AI seems too willing to give up on encircled units

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

wokelly

In Italy, German AI seems too willing to give up on encircled units

Post by wokelly »

So I have noticed the German AI in Italy are more concerned with establishing a new defensive line rather then try to save cut off units. When I break through and cut off a hex with a division or two, the AI just pulls back several hexes and waits for me to crush the surrounded units and pull up against them.

I know the AI can crunch numbers and figure out what will work, and probably determined it can't save the unit, but its pretty immersion breaking for the AI to at least not try. The AI is cold and rational, but in the context of WWII I can't imagine any side not attempting a relief, even if it likely would not succeed.
Numdydar

RE: In Italy, German AI seems too willing to give up on encircled units

Post by Numdydar »

Have you read much about the eastern front at all [:)]?

It happened all the time to both sides there where units were left surrounded with no attempt to save them due to more important needs at the time. So I see nothing wrong with this.
wokelly

Post by wokelly »

Really? Stalingrad, Demyansk, Korsun, Kamenets, Falaise. All had relief attempts or breakout attempts or both. Even the Russians in 1941/42 attempted to break open corridors for encircled troops when they could. The AI divs in Italy don't even really try, the guys in the pocket sit there though they must still have supply, and the AI never masses his divisions against my encirclement to try to open it up.

In terms of the image below, the AI could mass some units on the 4 hexes near my units and try to open up a corridor to extract the trapped divisions. Instead, they fall back and create a rather wide defensive line. And I see this every time I encircle a unit in the Italy theater. It seems like the AI's priority is to establish a new defensive line rather then try to save any cut off divisions.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (200.11 KiB) Viewed 42 times
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

You are suggesting the AI commit maybe half a dozen divisions to rescue what I assume is 2 Bdes, whilst compromising the new defensive line and possibly risking further encirclements and an allied break out all the way to Sienna? Want a game? ;)
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: wokelly

Really? Stalingrad, Demyansk, Korsun, Kamenets, Falaise. All had relief attempts or breakout attempts or both. Even the Russians in 1941/42 attempted to break open corridors for encircled troops when they could. The AI divs in Italy don't even really try, the guys in the pocket sit there though they must still have supply, and the AI never masses his divisions against my encirclement to try to open it up.

In terms of the image below, the AI could mass some units on the 4 hexes near my units and try to open up a corridor to extract the trapped divisions. Instead, they fall back and create a rather wide defensive line. And I see this every time I encircle a unit in the Italy theater. It seems like the AI's priority is to establish a new defensive line rather then try to save any cut off divisions.

Yes but how many more were left without relief efforts. Trying to save 100's of thousands is much different than trying to save 50,000 or less.
Steelers708

Post by Steelers708 »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar
Yes but how many more were left without relief efforts. Trying to save 100's of thousands is much different than trying to save 50,000 or less.

Well the Cholm pocket only had 5,500 men and the Halbe pocket had aproximately 50,000 troops and both were relieved/brokeout.

whilst I agree that rescuing 5-10,000 men is improbable in a game at this scale, 50,000+ is a considerable number for the AI to ignore.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

I see the AI trying to rescue units sometimes. It will only do so if it thinks it has chances to win.

Here :

- you have some very powerful units encircling, tanks and motorized in open terrain
- the hex with the NZ div can only be attacked from two hexes
- the other with the SA armored div from 3, one being rough terrain
- light mud reduces offensive CV
- the Tevere, the mountains on the east and the lake Bolsena makes it more difficult to bring more units to counter attack without dangeroulsy weakening the front

I'm not even sure a human would try to relieve those units.

One trick to give the AI more chances to counter attack is playing at a higher difficuly level, challenging at least. The AI will "see" better attacking prospects with higher morale and transport.

micheljq

Post by micheljq »

I am not sure the russians were relieving are their encircled forces Steelers. Did they relief the 1,5 million soldiers trapped around Kiev? I do not know but i know 600 000 were lost. Maybe they could not afford though.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Steelers708

Post by Steelers708 »

I'm not sure that the 1941 pockets are a fair comparison given the parlous state of the Soviet army and the rapidity of the German advances. Off the top of my head I can't think of many, if any, German pockets where the Germans didn't try a relief operation of those in the pocket didn't try to breakout.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

OK, but to get back to this question, how would you (we) as a player actually break that pocket... FoW means planning is hard but you would need to have significant reserves or strip out the line almost to the mountains, certainly to the Tevere... Recipe for major grief next turn even if it succeeds. I presume the indicator is on Supplies? In which case Allied supply isnt brilliant, but nor is Axis. I think that is a definite case of the pocket remains as a nuisance in the Allied rear until it surrenders.
AWGreif

Post by AWGreif »

The question for me is not why the AI didn't attack to releive the encircles units, but why arrange a defense line so far from enemy, instead of holding the line at side of Bolsena Lake.
WITW Beta Tester
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Actually, I would probably put a line even further back, behind the Ombrone and Lake Trasimene. It gives probably a turn more fortification, and after all any line on the plain is only a speed bump.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: wokelly

How?

for a start the rain will be affecting offensive CVs. The only really vulnerable hex is the one with the Canadian armour and you'd need around 42 cv to even start to have a decent chance. The AI probably has around 60 attack cvs in all the units and there is no way the infantry to the east of Bolsena can arrive and take part (you usually need 5-6 MPs for a full attack).

even if by some fluke the AI could bring everything it has to bear, its going to be a marginal attack with nearly everything it has on the map. And would set up its entire Italian army for a grand encirclement over the next few turns.

think pulling back is pretty sensible, I'd be worried if the AI actually risked an attack
ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

OK, but to get back to this question, how would you (we) as a player actually break that pocket... FoW means planning is hard but you would need to have significant reserves or strip out the line almost to the mountains, certainly to the Tevere... Recipe for major grief next turn even if it succeeds. I presume the indicator is on Supplies? In which case Allied supply isnt brilliant, but nor is Axis. I think that is a definite case of the pocket remains as a nuisance in the Allied rear until it surrenders.

I'm not sure I'd even try. Lets assume that there is more armour than appears. I guess you could get the best units into 1 corps, pour all your supplies into that (ie level 4), starve the rest, get your support units into that formation and commit the level bombers you have been hoarding for a critical moment. You *might* just do it, but like you, I'd fall back behind the Ombrone rather than where the defense line appears to be

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”