Defending The Fatherland

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Peltonx

Defending The Fatherland

Post by Peltonx »

Ports are critical!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just wanted to go over the ground game as far as Germany goes seeing we have so many new people playing WitW.

I played WitE from release so I have learnt stuff the 2x4 way and by chatting with other player or watching other players work over people.

I only play Germany so if you want tips on Allies ask someone else.

Basic Panzer Army setup.

1. Army HQ-Leadership is key, should be at least a 7 mech and 7 initiative and high admin. You can put SU's in the unit but only put 1 mixed AA.
Corp HQ-Leadership at least same 7 and 7 atleast, I put in and 8 or 9 if I can find one. SU's 6 of the highest MM guns u can find.
I try to have 2 Corp Panzers and 1 Infantry
2. 5 high morale GD/tank/Panzer divisions per Corp and 6 infantry divisions for infantry Corp.
3. SU's--1 mixed AA you can switch this for engineers as allied / 1 engineer / 1 hvy tank or as close as you can get.
The Infantry are for holding hexes 1 hvy AA 1 mix and 1 AT or stug.

Ok assaulting.

You can hit with 3 panzers or 6 depending on CV/terrain ect ect.

Standard assault of a high CV stack on a beach or clear hex with 1-3 fort.

The extra 4 panzers are in reserve mode. 3 as full divisions and 1 broken down.
Then DA from 2 hexes 6 ( 60 to 90 CV )divisions assault the hex. 99% of the time you get a RR if needed, engineers will drop fort under 3 to 2 2 to 1 ect. If you have allot of Guns they will drop fort more and tanks will drop it more.
The leaders help allot because of die rolls.

Say your looking at a stack with 10=63 CV lvl 3 fort ect you drop the fort and the CV crash to 10. even 1/2 and its 30 plus disruption from guns and tanks ect.

So even if you only attack with 40-50 CV dropping the fort 50% will drop CV to 30ish+disruption ect and you get 2 to 1 odds.

Once I am done attacking I will move up infantry 2 per hex and then add 1 panzer. Ok say 1 panzer from I SS Corp is with infantry,
I will then make sure 2 PD are on refit, 1 is broken down into regiments in reserve mode and 1 full in reserve mode.

You can also add 1 or 2 panzer divisions to army under the army HQ and rotate in and out of the Panzer Corp or leave them in reserve mode defending or attacking.

The infantry will lose the hex some times but who cares because if the WA's are foolish enough to move into it they get smoked the next turn. You can use this to counter attack out of level 2-3 forts-driving them back out of theirs until they are at beach.

This Panzer Army is set on 4 and the rest of the armys on 1 unless there is another defending (2).

Also make sure depots are all on 2 other then the ones close to combat (4) + make sure every single transport is dropping supplies to the Army/Corp after combat seems to work best but I am still screwing with this.

Also make sure depots are all on 2 other then the ones close to combat + make sure every single transport is dropping supplies to the Army/Corp after combat seems to work best but I am still screwing with this.

The down side to WitW is you really only have enough forces to set up 1 elite German Panzer Army and a 2nd ok one.

This means it can not hold the hole front, but it can easly stop the best allied Army or drive back the best allies army.

You can contain any one beachhead as long as the frontage is max 10 hexes or several that are 6-8 hexs. The other down side is replacements you can keep up a medium tempo of combat, but not a heavy tempo. Its critical to contain the landing after the turn they hit the beach with your Elite PA. If you can then you can push them back while infantry dig. If you can contain the landing for 4 or 5 turns and get reserve mode defences set up WA’s will be hard pressed to take a single hex without the loss of allot of troops which = VP’s

As Germany you can last longer doing different things. I really like the new system as its much more flexable then WitE at least on the Western Front.

Defending The Fatherland after the breakout.

Now when defending as Germany once the WA’s are off the beach I find the best thing is 1 Elite Panzer army to rush to the one area in need the most.

The Infantry armys are set up like this:

Army HQ: Good leaders 7 and 7 as before. You can add 1 GD/PD if you have one.
3 Corp: 4 infantry divisions and 1 GD/PD and 1 armor regiment once they come into play.
Frontage is 2 – 4 hexes per Corp so 1-2 divisions per hex in front with the panzer units broken down into regiments. 1 of the regiments should be in refit and 3 in reserve in the 2nd row.

Now your going to get reactions 100% of the time because you have 9 regiments in the army-they all get a shot.

Now in a 3rd row or 4th row you can post weaker divisions on refit every other hex. Even if they are not on refit but simply shells they cost any possible break throough units MP’s for ZOC ect. + they be digging.

The front in France is really not very wide so your panzer reserves will be able to get to any hot spots very quickly so any foolish break thoughs that are only 1 or 2 hexs wide can easly be slammed shut + be digging!!!!!!

I don’t have all the answers yet because I am not late war in any game to field test WitE tactics, but judging by results so far they will work.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Baelfiin

RE: Defending The Fatherland

Post by Baelfiin »

One of the best posts I have ever read, nice job breaking things down.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Lictuel

Post by Lictuel »

How do you manage to put such leaders into the hqs? The Germans pay so much more for changing leaders and get less AP per turn than the allies. That is the part I'm struggling with the most. Do you just save all your AP from the start of the game?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

There are several Corp that arrive with 7/7 and one 8/7 leader.

Group B arrives with Rommel.

Turn 2 I strip 1st army and move to Italy. At some pt forget the turn an Army arrive with a good leader.
Also you can remove all the good SU's from units in France.

It takes a few turns to build the army.

Not sure how this works with EFB checked, I play without it checked.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Lictuel

Post by Lictuel »

Are there units in the EFB that would move to the west as reinforcements that don't do that with the EFB active?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Lictuel

Are there units in the EFB that would move to the west as reinforcements that don't do that with the EFB active?

No idea who things work with the box checked.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

IIRC, the following units are sent East-West if EF Box is not active:

1ss Panzer
2ss Panzer
2nd, 9th, 11th, Panzer

The following though will withdraw if EF Box is not active:

Feldhernalle PzG
14th and 24th Panzer
Also, the SS units will rotate to EF, other than 12ss and the SS PzG divs

I'm not counting the infantry

Playing with the East Front box ACTIVE helps the Germans alot
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

IIRC, the following units are sent East-West if EF Box is not active:

1ss Panzer
2ss Panzer
2nd, 9th, 11th, Panzer

The following though will withdraw if EF Box is not active:

Feldhernalle PzG
14th and 24th Panzer
Also, the SS units will rotate to EF, other than 12ss and the SS PzG divs

I'm not counting the infantry

Playing with the East Front box ACTIVE helps the Germans alot

All depends on how you look at it.

I have a rotation all set-up and working like a clock, just takes a little extra planning.

-13 turns helps allot more + other little nuggets of gold

That's your opinion and I have my own [;)]
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

I have a rotation all set-up and working like a clock, just takes a little extra planning.

Pelton, help a brother out....do you play with EF box OFF? I.e., you cannot pull units from the East?

What is the "-13 turns helps alot" about? Is that VPs?
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Pelton, help a brother out....do you play with EF box OFF? I.e., you cannot pull units from the East?

What is the "-13 turns helps alot" about? Is that VPs?
Hi bro you free to email or pm.

The EFB is NOT checked so the war ends first week of May instead of 1 August. The Russians advance auto with box unchecked. I don't have to mess with it.

-13 turns.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Good to know, I had not considered that EFB off saves you 13 turns of beating right at the end.

What do you do with the FJ? You start with 3 Elite Divisions of them. They are the toughest infantry in the whole game, but not mobile is the problem.....
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Good to know, I had not considered that EFB off saves you 13 turns of beating right at the end.

What do you do with the FJ? You start with 3 Elite Divisions of them. They are the toughest infantry in the whole game, but not mobile is the problem.....

PM me for the finer points or email
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
basilstaghare

Post by basilstaghare »

Does the AI do a decent job playing as allies vs. human only (solo) German Player? Thanks.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Whatever became of Pelton. I miss his posts.
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
jacktimes2

Post by jacktimes2 »

He was banned, AFAIK. Not going to speculate.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Does anyone know where Pelton went? Does he have a Youtube channel?
comte

Post by comte »

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Does anyone know where Pelton went? Does he have a Youtube channel?

He is still here under various alt accounts
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

Pelton..can you pm me? Your posts rock!

Return to “The War Room”