Transport and cargo losses?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Peltonx

Transport and cargo losses?

Post by Peltonx »

Does anyone have any idea what is considered lt, med or heavy loses for

transport

or

cargo ships

Does anyone have any idea what the replacement rate is of these "units" per turn.

Thanks
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
JocMeister

RE: Transport and cargo losses?

Post by JocMeister »

I would love to know this too. Suffering 2-5 Troop transports and 10-20 Cargo ships each turn. No idea if this is considered "normal" or not.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I'm beginning to wonder the same thing. I'm at Aug 21 '44 turn, and I can only move 25 to 50 points of shipping a turn worth of troops. Granted, every amphib I have is at a beach, but I don't seem to be getting many replacements for my troop ships. Cargo ships seem fine. This is a server game with Notonestepback, using ver .11. This was happening in ver .08, I just updated my files yesterday to test the beta version together on the server.
AWGreif

Post by AWGreif »

Iirc replacement rate is 6 Troops and 30 Cargo ships per turn.
This means finally that it's almost impossible for Axis to spoil the WA carrying capacity, unless the WA player Leaves its fleets at sea without reason.
WITW Beta Tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: AWGreif

Iirc replacement rate is 6 Troops and 30 Cargo ships per turn.
This means finally that it's almost impossible for Axis to spoil the WA carrying capacity, unless the WA player Leaves its fleets at sea without reason.

Ok interesting stuff thanks.

Carlkey is the only one who has taken what seems like heavy loses.

He invaded near Rome turn 22 and had about 14-16 divisions ashore by turn 24, but by turn 32 I had driven him back into the sea with heavy losses.
The LW pounded the sea lanes every turn with every plane they had.

Turn 40

262 destroyed transports.

6 x 40 = 240 transport. That's 22 less transports then he had at the start of the game.

1201 cargo ships destroyed.

40 x 30 = 1200 hmm a wash. He has same # April 44 as May 43.

I am guessing that's a bad thing as the Normandy landing were much larger then the Italian landings?

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
AWGreif

Post by AWGreif »

In my experience there is no chance to reduce WA Landing capability, as after the landings in Italy there is no opportunity to cripple WA fleet for many turns (unless WA wants to invade France early.
WA has therefore ample time to reform its fleets before D-Day, imho.
WITW Beta Tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: AWGreif

In my experience there is no chance to reduce WA Landing capability, as after the landings in Italy there is no opportunity to cripple WA fleet for many turns (unless WA wants to invade France early.
WA has therefore ample time to reform its fleets before D-Day, imho.

Ok thanks.

I guess I have to hold ports after he lands and try and cripple him then or at least do enough damage to slow replasements and supplies to a large army that's landed.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Rules say this, and I have no reason to think they are wrong:

Four troop ships and thirty cargo ships are added
to the Western Allies shipping pool per turn. Starting
in January 1944, cargo ships increase to fifty per turn.
However, when the AI plays the Western Allies, it will
receive six troop ships per turn instead of four.

So Carl has 102 less transports than he started with. This is painful. The Allies start with 256 transports and in D-day they have 308. Carl would be at 154 with the potential for getting another 30 or so before D-day.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Rules say this, and I have no reason to think they are wrong:

Four troop ships and thirty cargo ships are added
to the Western Allies shipping pool per turn. Starting
in January 1944, cargo ships increase to fifty per turn.
However, when the AI plays the Western Allies, it will
receive six troop ships per turn instead of four.

So Carl has 102 less transports than he started with. This is painful. The Allies start with 256 transports and in D-day they have 308. Carl would be at 154 with the potential for getting another 30 or so before D-day.

Wow. That's good info.

I know it seems like I can't read or am lazy at times, but dam that's a bunch of rules [:D]

The Rule Book (hard copy) is amazing.

I guess I will pound whatever beaches he hits with 100% of the LW and hope to destroy as many more as possible so any future landings after that will be smaller.

Thanks
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Iirc, in the server game I mentioned, my troop ships are around 126 troop transports. And I don't let my amphibs just sit around after supplies aren't needed by them anymore. They go home. I can hardly move any troops during a turn and it's stalling out my push. Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong and how did I lose so many troop ships?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Hmm...a liberty ship could carry 9146 tons of cargo. Equal to 4 trains of 75 cars each. They could carry 440 tanks or 230 million rounds of ammunition.

They were being built at an average of 1 per day. Not sure how many went to ETO as opposed to PTO.

As a troop ship they would carry around 500 troops. Up to 900 in a short hop or emergency.

The bigger ships: C4 troop ship for example, could carry 3800 troops.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

How many troop ships to carry the average division in WitW?
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
rlp2

Post by rlp2 »

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but in the manual (16.1) it says:
Troop ships have a capacity of 1000 tons of unit load and cargo ships can carry 250 tons of freight. In the game, the average size division seems to have a transport/shipping load of 8,000 to 10,000 tons.
WitE - Beta Tester
Lost Battles - Beta Tester
WitW - Beta Tester
Operation Torch - Beta Tester
WitE2 - Beta Tester
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Bob Pendleton

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but in the manual (16.1) it says:
Troop ships have a capacity of 1000 tons of unit load and cargo ships can carry 250 tons of freight. In the game, the average size division seems to have a transport/shipping load of 8,000 to 10,000 tons.

Ok thks bro

10 troop ships per division?
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
lukaszgwozdz2

Post by lukaszgwozdz2 »

Roughly (for infantry anyway), but attached support units can make it much bigger. Check the transport load number for the given unit and divide by 1000.
KWG

Post by KWG »

Jan 1 '44. Sicily/Italy(Barletta)

troop 46 46000

cargo 435 108,750

Have 314 troop ships and 2376 cargo ships in command.

troop are ......... hitting the beach landing craft?.
cargo are ........ sea transports carrying soldiers and supplies?.

edit
so both are sea vessels .
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
marion61

Post by marion61 »

This is from my server game with Notonestepback, v.11. This number is very low, and I can't seem to find a reason why. I protect my amphibs like gold, but on two occasions I lost an entire divisions worth of troops at sea, and if I should have in the neighborhood of 300 troop ships at D-Day, then I've taken some massive submarine losses. I can't move very many troops.

Attachments
cargo.jpg
cargo.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 195 times
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

from the WWII Troopship Page on the web.

45th infantry division was carried by:

AP76 Anne Arundel, AP11 Barnett, and APA10, Harry Lee. It seems there was an infantry regiment on each with a bit of other stuff.

The web site is http://www.skylighters.org/troopships/frameset.html
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: meklore61

This is from my server game with Notonestepback, v.11. This number is very low, and I can't seem to find a reason why. I protect my amphibs like gold, but on two occasions I lost an entire divisions worth of troops at sea, and if I should have in the neighborhood of 300 troop ships at D-Day, then I've taken some massive submarine losses. I can't move very many troops.

How many have you lost.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I've lost quite a few, but honestly I'm not sure when it happened, but I know on two turns I lost over 25vps to other casualties with no battles. I'll keep better track next time. And this happened with .08 installed since it seems to have been steadily going down. I now cannot even lift a brigade of armor off of England. 6 points of troop lift. Two turns ago I had 54.

Attachments
cargo1.jpg
cargo1.jpg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 195 times

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”