game difficulty

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

zoot

game difficulty

Post by zoot »

I am thinking of purchasing War in the West. I have played War in the East several times and enjoyed it. I did however, put the air war part of it on auto and forgot about it. I am wondering about the level of micro management in the West game. Can it be played on the management level that was used in the East game? And how complicated is the air war ?
thomas cook
lukaszgwozdz2

RE: game difficulty

Post by lukaszgwozdz2 »

Overall I'd say the total level of micro is about the same as WitE. You'll want to do more micro in the air but there's much less micro on the ground. You can also put the air war on ai initially, but you will probably want to do more hands on management eventually. The good news is the air element is more fleshed out. The bad news is it can be very opaque and not very well documented, so the things that end up being most effective are not always intuitive. Overall though I'm happy with WitW.
Dante Fierro

RE: game difficulty

Post by Dante Fierro »

I think to get the most out of the game, you really do have to enjoy micro-managing to some degree. You just won't be able to get away from the depth and detail involved in WitW. On the flip side, the level of realism you get is also not ordinary, the computer performs a lot of calculations and factors in a lot of different variables every time something is done in the game, including unit effectiveness, movement, supply, reconnaisance and FOW - the large amount of computer number crunching you get you will not find in an ordinary non-computerized wargame.

One thing that I do find oddly missing "information wise" is perhaps more details on the units. It would have been nice other than just the specs on units, to have some description text one could click on and even historical information etc. For example, when clicking on different aircraft models, some helpful information could have been provided on what the aircraft were often used for, what altitudes they flew at with what loads etc. Of course, you can google this stuff to find it out (though the information still is not easy to find tbh) - in-game detail would have added more texture. But then again, given just how much has been delivered with WitW - it's not too big a deal not having some extra "encyclopedic" info. Not necessary but would have been nice chrome.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”