Tactical Reserve, Synchronicity and Battle Resolution

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

mmarquo

Tactical Reserve, Synchronicity and Battle Resolution

Post by mmarquo »

Battle Resolution: "On each Tactical Round, combat is resolved in the order of Local Bombardment, then Anti-Armor combat, and then Anti-Personnel combat. During Local Bombardment, all supporting units fire their Bombardment Strengths at the enemy. Air units are subject to Interception and Anti-Aircraft fire. Then, enemy armored equipment is fired on by the combined friendly Anti-Armor strength and all enemy equipment is fired on by the combined friendly Anti-Personnel strength. Generally, only actively defending equipment is subject to losses during Anti-Armor and Anti-Personnel fire."

The question: when units in reserve status react to combat, at what point in the Battle Resolution cycle do they enter the fray? For example, is it possible that armored units are better off one hex back in Tactical Reserve so they enter the defending hex after anti-armor resolution?? Or is resolution more synchronous and simply factors in all of the units in a hex after reserve movement??

Thanks
Curtis Lemay

RE: Tactical Reserve, Synchronicity and Battle Resolution

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Marquo

Battle Resolution: "On each Tactical Round, combat is resolved in the order of Local Bombardment, then Anti-Armor combat, and then Anti-Personnel combat. During Local Bombardment, all supporting units fire their Bombardment Strengths at the enemy. Air units are subject to Interception and Anti-Aircraft fire. Then, enemy armored equipment is fired on by the combined friendly Anti-Armor strength and all enemy equipment is fired on by the combined friendly Anti-Personnel strength. Generally, only actively defending equipment is subject to losses during Anti-Armor and Anti-Personnel fire."

The question: when units in reserve status react to combat, at what point in the Battle Resolution cycle do they enter the fray? For example, is it possible that armored units are better off one hex back in Tactical Reserve so they enter the defending hex after anti-armor resolution?? Or is resolution more synchronous and simply factors in all of the units in a hex after reserve movement??

Thanks

Reserve movement is made between combat rounds, not in the middle of them.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

What does this mean? Since each of the 10 rounds follow the same paradigm, as ingle battle which lasts perhaps 4 rounds can be reinforced perhaps between the 2nd and 3rd round? If so, then antecedent antitank losses before tactical armor enters the fray could make the armor more effective on the 4th rather than 1st round?

Thanks
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Marquo

What does this mean? Since each of the 10 rounds follow the same paradigm, as ingle battle which lasts perhaps 4 rounds can be reinforced perhaps between the 2nd and 3rd round? If so, then antecedent antitank losses before tactical armor enters the fray could make the armor more effective on the 4th rather than 1st round?

Perhaps that's theoretically possible, but there are more practical reasons why most players forgo the reserve deployments. First, they will enter the battle in mobile deployment rather than dug-in. Second, the enemy can influence just which way they go by how he sequences the battles. This is less a problem with tactical reserve than local reserve, but still an issue.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

I always use "tactical reserve" as deployment for artillery to get them to support units in range, since they will not support in mobile deployment. Never have I seen one of my artillery units move as a result of this.
secadegas

Post by secadegas »

That's because Artillery and HQ's units in TR deployment are exempt from moving in response to enemy attacks.
All other types of units will move.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

I always use "tactical reserve" as deployment for artillery to get them to support units in range, since they will not support in mobile deployment. Never have I seen one of my artillery units move as a result of this.

That is the one exception. There was a revision in 3.2 that made that exception for Headquarters and Artillery so that they won't advance if in Tactical Reserve (Local Reserve was unchanged in that regard, though).
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”