Combat odds question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Numdydar

Combat odds question

Post by Numdydar »

If I have 2 units that display 11-12 and 9-12, then if I attack with both my initial CV value is 20, correct?

If these two attack a unit displaying 3=8, this means that their attack CV is 3 and their defense CV is a modified 8. Is this also correct?

So if my combined CV of 20 attack the 3=8 that will be about a 2.5 to 1 attack. Assuming both units are in clear, no support, etc. Is that about right?

I am trying to figure a way to get a rough approximation of the combat odds before I attack. As I have not found a way to do so. As attacks I thought were risky were easily won while others I thought were a slam dunk were not. As far as I could tell, supplies, leadership, support, etc. were not an issue in the ones I lost.

Or is the game design such that you just have to guess and pray for the best when committing units to combat? This is under 1.8.01
charlie0311

RE: Combat odds question

Post by charlie0311 »

set the combat up, then do "save over", then exit, then reload save, do combat again. Many times with different types of combats ie, air, support units, etc.

lots of variation with exactly the same combat.
easiest way.

ps, correct about approx CV

pps, on combats that fail (but "should not") do again if you have the MPs.
loki100

RE: Combat odds question

Post by loki100 »

thing is a lot more comes into play than printed CV. Release of support units is one (ie dependent on leadership rolls) and also that each element engages, ie mass and numbers as well as quality and also the interplay of disruption and combat efficiency

charlie0311's advice is good, if you can stand it do the test attacks at level 5 for the display, that will help you to see what weapons engage and sometimes at what point it ceases to be much of a battle (ie trading losses) and a bit of a slaughter (ie one side is taking far more losses).

With the Soviets, if I have numberical odds of about 2-1 (so say 3 1941 rifle divisions attacking 1 1941 German infantry division), I reckon that will add one onto the final odds (so a printed 1-1 becomes 2-1), but this is not foolproof.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”