FOST Advanced ASW Exercise

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Meatons

FOST Advanced ASW Exercise

Post by Meatons »

I'm a new player having picked this game up on steam, so far I'm impressed! and I believe it is worthy of its much criticized price (although I did get on sale) it is so open ended and deep in content, although I don't need to tell anyone here I'm sure.

Ive played this game for about 40 hours so far, Ive played through the tutorials and a couple of the simple standalone scenarios with no unexpected problems, my question here regards the standalone scenario Advanced ASW Exercise which I have now played through 3 times to a conclusion, soooo....

In each of the 3 run throughs I have sunk the Whiskey and the Foxtrot, if I ran through a 4th time I would have no trouble locating them and sinking them without loss using the tactics I have shaped, although at first they did give me trouble...however as for the Charlie I have only caught fleeting glimpses of it once in 2 of the 3 run throughs and each time have I been unable to relocate it.

In the last run through I believed I had it encircled within a circle about 12nm in diameter after it sunk one of my ships which had just detected it some 2nm astern. Yet after 4 hours of in game time I still failed to relocate it, the circle was surrounded by active and passive buoys, 2 x Sea Kings dipping, a Nimrod criss crossing and 5 ships grid searching, I alternated between active sonars, passive sonars, micro managing, AI controlled, I tried everything, eventually I gave up and my HV crossed the finish line to end the scenario major victory.......then I noticed the Charlie was recorded as sunk! I went back over the message log and there was no record of the Charlie since it sunk my ship....how can this be? Was it an own goal? did it get sunk by its own torpedo when it attacked my ship?.....on a side note I had an own goal with the BNS Wielingen damaging it and eventually sinking herself with the ASW RL in badly handled micro manage attack.

Another thing on the other occasion I caught a glimpse of it with a Nimrod MAD I didn't find it again despite huge resources being put into a small search area,

so is the Charlie that elusive?

can other players readily locate it?

or is it just technically too difficult with the resources given in the scenario?

or is there something deficient about my tactics?

Your help appreciated.

Return to “After Action Report”