Pop-Up Guards in 1 Turn

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

heliodorus04

Pop-Up Guards in 1 Turn

Post by heliodorus04 »

I was just about to abandon my latest 1.08/.01 Axis vs. AI on Hard because I'd hit January 1943 with 262 VPs, and I didn't think the Soviet was ever going to get to Berlin.

One of the problems I had in this campaign against the Soviet AI is that it did not create any Guards units. Ever. There was some discussion about changing the Guards creation criteria elsewhere, and I noted this there at that time.

So as of 14/Jan/1943, I had never seen a single Guards anything.
On 21 January 1943, 1/5 to 1/3 of the Soviet units in contact with me became Guards.

That's a bug, right?

Unfortunately, as things were going really easy, I had stopped saving and was plowing through turns quickly. So I can't really give you a "last turn/this turn" example, though i have a lot of saves.

No picture is required. It's an insane amount of guards. In one turn.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
morvael

RE: Pop-Up Guards in 1 Turn

Post by morvael »

With each year the percentage of Guards allowed goes up and there are a lot of promotions in January, but in your case it was already middle of January and you said you didn't see any guards before, which is strange. Unfortunately only saves will help to find out what happened.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Yeah. Specifically turn 84, 21 January 43.

The last save I had prior is turn 74. It's not a big deal to me. But if those 10-turns apart saves can be useful, let me know and I'll zip them and send them.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
morvael

Post by morvael »

PM'ed you with my email. Please send the saves.
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

Hm... No Guards,eh ?

(Crunch,munch,munch...)
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”