Pelton(Axis) vs Jajusha Axis Victory (Resigned)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

Peltonx

Pelton(Axis) vs Jajusha Axis Victory (Resigned)

Post by Peltonx »

Turn 10 VP’s this turn: -1 Total: -29
Troop ships lost: 19 Cargo: 130

All the standard ground war stuff + new and improved LW stuff.

Basicly to date I sucked at air game. Carlkay has really schooled me and I have learnt allot about the engine and ruleset.

Fun stuff for me because I love to turn systems and rule sets on their heads aka WitE.

Anyways here we go with Defending The Fatherland version 2.0.

Attachments
south.jpg
south.jpg (306.9 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

RE: Pelton vs Jajusha

Post by Peltonx »

The air system is allot like the ground engine in many respects.

I am slow and require the 2x4 learning system.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Is there any invasion in sicily? Not bringing fighters with naval air is bad for him.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Yes I have 1 air division in Messina
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

He had air support ect last turn, but nothing this turn. I had nothing fling at all last turn.

So I am guessing he changed up missions or moved his planes figuring I would not contest the landings with divisions or the LW.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

That whole invasion is probably isolated until his air comes back then.
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

That whole invasion is probably isolated until his air comes back then.

My past games I have not been contesting the Southern Italy invasions at all, because I whated a solid Gustov Line with a very strong panzer reserve near and north of Rome.

But I have figured a way to leave a good reserve near Rome,
enough troops to dig the Gustov line and a blocking force to delay a Southern Italy landing.

I can not drive them off the beachs, but I am forcing them to attack me while the LW pounds the shipping lanes.

So I can keep them from getting easy VP's during 43. This also delays the bombing of oil fields in Romania.

Once I contain the landings I can move 2 infantry divisions and pull back 2 panzer divsions to beef up my panzer reserves.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Very nice.
I think forcing them to fight their way off the beaches is the best way to go, especially when you can dominate the sea around the landing.
When you decide to break contact, friendly hex interdiction works wonders, I learned the hard way vs AWG.
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Very nice.
I think forcing them to fight their way off the beaches is the best way to go, especially when you can dominate the sea around the landing.
When you decide to break contact, friendly hex interdiction works wonders, I learned the hard way vs AWG.

I learnt the same way fighting carlkey.

Hopefully new people can learn the easy way reading the AAR.

I am a 2x4 guy any ways.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I think landing in the Gulf of Taranto is brave too - the geography cannalises sea movement and allows you to focus naval interdiction as the figures show.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

ORIGINAL: Pelton

Very nice.

I am a 2x4 guy any ways.
You mean like me? Takes a 2x4 to the head to learn something? [:D]
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Very nice.

I am a 2x4 guy any ways.
You mean like me? Takes a 2x4 to the head to learn something? [:D]

Yup
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

I think landing in the Gulf of Taranto is brave too - the geography cannalises sea movement and allows you to focus naval interdiction as the figures show.

yes that's a bad landing area.

1. close to good air bases
2. can really focus the sea area to sink shipping.
3. You can get on the beaches, but there are ridge lines just off the coast units can sit on.

Allies picked the best landing area historically.

Now he has 6 divisions tied up at Messina and he landed more the next turn in Southern Italy (10) total.
So WA's cannot do much more then a very small invasion some place else which I have more then enough units to counter
if its north of Gustov Line or just south of it.

I also am moving more LW units near Rome and have held back 1/2 my good naval bombing LW.

Fun game as this is first 1 I desided to contest every hex of the map and am playing LW allot better.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Turn 12

I SS Corps routes 78th Infantry and 7th Armored capturing 1 tempo port.

9th GD pushes back some green US Armored division from a hex on the Eastern Beachhead.

LW Command starts transferring more planes to Central Italy and another Panzer division and 1 Infantry division is transferred to Rome.

Attachments
turn12.jpg
turn12.jpg (408.33 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Turn 12

I SS Corps routes 78th Infantry and 7th Armored capturing 1 tempo port.

9th GD pushes back some green US Armored division from a hex on the Eastern Beachhead.

LW Command starts transferring more planes to Central Italy and another Panzer division and 1 Infantry division is transferred to Rome.

As can be seen the sea lanes are completely closed

Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Turn 13 VP’s this turn: 3 Total: -32
Troop ships lost: 43 Cargo: 181
The cowardly English retreat from 1 of the landing areas. The LW has complete control of the air over the invasion area and the sea lanes.
Student easily holds vs several attacks at Messina.

Attachments
south.jpg
south.jpg (307.31 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Rommel whips up a master plan for 1st SS PZ Corp. One panzer division loops around behind the English infantry divisions then all of the 1st SS Corp drives the little pig inland and now we have 2 infantry divisions in a pocket ( 2 pigs in a blanket) and 7th Armored with no place to go or what is left of it.
JU-52’s fly in more supplies to my divisions some forces move up and cover the flanks.
Near Rome the Wehrmacht waits for the next invasion, fortifications are build along choke points off the beaches leading inland. The Luftwaffe has 3 JG of fighters and 2 full groups of Stukas in reserve near Rome.
This ss is after the Wehrmacht’s assaults, before other units are railed forward or moved forward.

Attachments
south.jpg
south.jpg (236.86 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

Note to self - avoid Pelton as your opponent unless you really like suffering ;-)
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

A better note is to follow the golden rule of invasion: Air Superiority. There doesn't seem to be any freebees for the allies.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

I think anyone getting their hands on WiTW needs to re-read their WWII history books. We get enamored with the idea that the Allies always had overwhelming superiority & Shermans were just rushing from place to place on the map, routing the Germans before them...

And then you dive into the books & realize that invasion targets were primarily selected because of their location vis a vis airfields...and that there pretty much wasn't an Allied landing (with maybe the exception of Southern France) that wasn't extremely hairy & subject to serious Axis counterattacks.

WiTW appears to do a great job highlighting the difficulties and the absolutely need for planning and preparation for invasions - and more importantly, how to handle the aftermath as well. Preparation, preparation, preparation & more preparation seems to be the order of the day.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

Return to “After Action Reports”