Semi OT: "Fury" (2014) movie...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,

After 2+ weeks of nasty cold / flu (just right in the middle of Christmas / New Year holidays ) for both my spouse and me - we finally went to movies - we watched:

"Fury" (2014
"The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" (2014)

The "Hobbit" was fine movie (just like previous two "Hobbits" and three "The Lord of The Rings") if you love Tolkien books and fantasy / SF - and we both do.

We knew what to expect from it and we got just what we wanted!

Some of our "purist" Tolkien fans hate the Jackson way for "The Lord of The Rings" and "Hobbits" but I have no problem with his deviation from original Tolkien books - all 6 movies were great fun to watch and nice addition to fantasy genre IMHO.

But "Fury"... I don't know where to start... my wife was simply stunned to see how furious I was after watching "Fury"... [&:] [:(] [:@]

I simply think it was overdone in the most poor Hollywood style just like "Red Tails" (2012)... the combat scenes I don't even want to mention (all of them: small town assault, dash over the field vs. dug in infantry / ATs, Tiger battle and final battle)...

What did you guys think about "Fury" (2014)?

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
I know of Audie Murphy and his CMoH achievement but that was completely different situation not comparable to "Fury" (2014) movie at all.

P.P.S
I apologize if this was discussed earlier - I was not that much on the forums in past weeks.

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Denniss

RE: Semi OT: "Fury" (2014) movie...

Post by Denniss »

As bad as Pearl Harbour or U-507 (although hard to be worse than the two) ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

The unfortuate thing for makers of serious war Films is "All Quiet on the Western Front" nailed the genre and it was one of the first films made. Fury wheeled out a bit too many cliches and choose to display combat analogous to reality in the style of Apocalypse Now. The overt message of the film was simple "The west" or "Americans" in particulair do brutal things because their enemy is *more* brutal which is fair enough, but there was no need to paint the message in crayon with the Girls, the Rookie, the kids throughout the film. It was too formulamatic and some excellent dialogue was spoilt by other lines ripped straight from other movies. At times you just knew the next line. That being said the combat scenes although analogous were intense and "furious", the uniforms, clothes and weapons looked amazing though giving Brad Pitt a Sturmgewehr 44 probably had the audience wondering why Americans were using AK-47s in World War II. In the end the movie decided to be "300" in a tank. Never the less I enjoyed it for what it was a movie
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Denniss

As bad as Pearl Harbour or U-507 (although hard to be worse than the two) ?

Unfortunately yes... for me all those movies are Hoolywood over-the-top unrealistic wanna-be-historic fails...

U-571 (2000)
Pearl Harbor (2001)
Red Tails (2012)
Fury (2014)

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.
At sister Matrix "War in the Pacific" forum the "Pearl Harbor" is called "The Movie That Shall Not Be Named"... [:D]

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I thought Fury was watachable. Not a classic but very watchable. I thought it nailed how claustrophobic the inside of a tank is. And the M4AE8 was pretty damn spot on. And they got the only working Tiger left in the world to operate.

It is hard to know exactly what American wants out of a war movie. And I say that as an American!
I thought the Thin Red Line was one of the top 5 war movies made, but it is reviled among even grognards for even suggesting that some American soldiers were cowards who broke under the pressure of modern combat.

I am not sure exactly what sort of style you have to chase. U-571 and Pearl Harbor were certainly bad.
I liked Black Hawk Down for it's matter of a fact approach. And the scene where the young man dies after being shot in the back is still heart wrenching even though I have watched it a dozen times.

Then again, I found Lone Survivor to be absolute garbage. It was 90 minutes of ra-ra patriotic exploration. I cared not a bit for any of the characters and hated it.
But it seems to be pretty wel enjouyed among war gaming circles.

In the end I think it is still largely a matter of opinion. Like most things in life [:)]
KWG

Post by KWG »

"but it is reviled among even grognards for even suggesting that some American soldiers were cowards who broke under the pressure of modern combat."

I have thought Americans broke the quickest and rallied the easiest.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Well...it was watchable...but few things were just stupid.

Last battle didn't make any sense, why would SS take on immobilized tank and even more why they didn't succeed... Might have been useful to attack the tank from...behind...

Tiger battle was just so wrong in one aspect. Why was Tiger firing when moving, they'd not hit much that way, no stabilizers in Tiger. As far as I know, they'd fire from short halt. But it was still nice to see a real Tiger instead of mock-up.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

If you wanna get some claustrophobic feeling then watch "Das Boot". That's far, far above the U-571 Hollywood BS movie (it's so bad I even forgot its title in my first post).
If you wanna view a funny movie with WW2 as background watch Kelly's Heroes.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
barkman44

Post by barkman44 »

http://www.history.army.mil/moh/wwII-a-f.html
Scrowl down to Thomas A.Baker.
His exploits could have been used in a Hollywood movie.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

this thread really should go in general.. but for what its worth this movie did not freak me out like it did you guys.
I grew up seeing guys throw the arms up and spin down after being shot in a ridiculous and funny death fall. At least this movie tried to place us into the lives of guys in an armored unit.
Remember hollywood or movies cannot make all things real, case in point tank battle. Seeing a Tiger on a distance shooting at expossed US tanks is boring, while accurate.
What I liked in no specific order

Actually seeing mud on guys.
Real tanks including a nice tiger
People died adding depth or pathos, ie the girl in the village
Showing the evil of the SS and Nazi and the humanity of the common German

what I did not care for:

Gratuitous carnage.. soldiers leg blown off

Not trying to stir the pot but... Movies are to entertain the masses not appeal to grogs.. get over it or stop seeing war movies

"Tanks forward"
joey

Post by joey »

I wonder if Unbroken should join this infamous list?
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

I haven't seen "Fury," but I do have a serious problem with most Hollywood war productions, in that they use actors who are far too old for their parts. Would a fifty year-old (Pitt) command a tank? It's possible, I know, but unlikely. "Private Ryan" had the same flaw -- pudgy, 40-something Rangers hitting the beaches on D-Day. To be sure, General Roosevelt landed on Utah that day and did a fine job, but he was an extremely rare exception to the rule.
mikeCK

Post by mikeCK »

It's a movie. It's telling a story. It's not a historical documentary nor does it claim to be.
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

ORIGINAL: Smirfy

The unfortuate thing for makers of serious war Films is "All Quiet on the Western Front" nailed the genre and it was one of the first films made. Fury wheeled out a bit too many cliches and choose to display combat analogous to reality in the style of Apocalypse Now. The overt message of the film was simple "The west" or "Americans" in particulair do brutal things because their enemy is *more* brutal which is fair enough, but there was no need to paint the message in crayon with the Girls, the Rookie, the kids throughout the film. It was too formulamatic and some excellent dialogue was spoilt by other lines ripped straight from other movies. At times you just knew the next line. That being said the combat scenes although analogous were intense and "furious", the uniforms, clothes and weapons looked amazing though giving Brad Pitt a Sturmgewehr 44 probably had the audience wondering why Americans were using AK-47s in World War II. In the end the movie decided to be "300" in a tank. Never the less I enjoyed it for what it was a movie

So true. "All Quiet on the Western Front" is very good indeed and I would rate "The boat" of Lothar-Guenther Buchheim as well as one of the very good ones... If possible (I think there is an english translation), read to book. IMHO it is even better than the movie.
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Das Boot is excellent but has all the advantages of beng a mini series to develop characters unlike the 2 hours a movie gets. The best stand alone war movie at sea would be "The cruel sea". The depth charge scene and aftermath is unsurpassed and incredible for a 1953 film.
ivanov

Post by ivanov »

I was most disgusted with the amount of tracers ( it thought it looked more like Star Wars that WW2 movie ) and the inefficiency of the German PAKs. The battle on the crossroad was a typical Hollywood BS. From the other hand the tanks, and uniforms looked amazing. Let's not forget that this is a movie directed to the general public. It's supposed to depict the horrors of war and also to break the myth of a good war, which I think the movie did pretty well. I'd give it 7 out of 10, but from the point of view of a cinema fan. Not from the point of view of history and military geek:)
Lest we forget.
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Hey guys! Lets run right at that immobile tank from the front!
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

I enjoyed it quite alot... for what it was. You have to go in with the expectation that it's an "action" movie....not a historical docu-drama.... so you approach it no differently then watching Aliens or Godzilla, etc. You have to expect the over-the-top crazy Hollywood factor. I did like how it captured the relationship between some of the grunts and the grit and ugliness that can come from war.

In terms of getting things "right".... it always seemed to me that "A Bridge Too Far" did a decent job of that for a movie.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

It depends of the state of mind.

If I want to spend some easy good time passively watching at explosion and a nice tank, I go for Fury. Plus you can play "spot the incoherences".

If I want some precision historical wargaming, well, there is WitW [:D]
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I still think Iron Cross was the best WWII movie to date [:)]

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”