OT: GNB Vol II

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

1EyedJacks

OT: GNB Vol II

Post by 1EyedJacks »

Anyone remember Great Naval Battles from SSI? This plays well for me using Chrome. It's kinda fun to go back and visit a blast from the past. I used to really enjoy spending time in the lookout - watching the gun fights. I also really enjoyed setting damage control to manual and working to try and keep a ship afloat when she'd been spanked hard by enemy fire or torps.

The Internet Archive has quite a few of the old DOS games that I gew up with back in the day.

https://archive.org/stream/msdos_Great_Naval_Battles_Vol_II_-_Guadalcanal_1942-43_1994/Great_Naval_Battles_Vol_II_-_Guadalcanal_1942-43_1994.zip?module=dosbox&scale=2
TTFN,

Mike
John 3rd

RE: OT: GNB Vol II

Post by John 3rd »

I have all of these on disk but cannot get them to play. What do you mean 'using chrome?'

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

The Chrome Browser will let you play the game with DOS box...

Attachments
tempt.jpg
tempt.jpg (233.8 KiB) Viewed 123 times
TTFN,

Mike
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I've played them with Virtual PC, but I haven't dug into any of the old DOS games in a long time. GNB was cool, though I only got one of them to ever work right. They were very buggy.

I have quite a few of the Avalon Hill computer games and even though they are DOS based, they stand up well to time. It's been a long time since I played any of them though. They also had the advantage of being a lot less buggy than most of their contemporaries.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

I played GNB 1---2---3 A BUNCH! Still have the disks...

Thanks for the chrome info.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Still enjoy the Talonsoft ASL style games. I think they originated from the "Hill".
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

GNB 2 was a landmark game. I played it for hours. Some of the most fun was trying to save a crippled ship. GNB 3 and 4 looked great but were turkeys that never worked right. The company was no help either.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Have you tried these games on D-Fend?

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Love playing my old GNB III, who invented the Chrome anyway? Been trying to stay away from Yahoo and Chrome software.

Also forgot to mention google too, google toolbars, etcs. Gotta stay away from them.
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Love playing my old GNB III, who invented the Chrome anyway? Been trying to stay away from Yahoo and Chrome software.

Also forgot to mention google too, google toolbars, etcs. Gotta stay away from them.

Chrome is a Google product.
-- Mark Sieving
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: msieving1

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Chrome is a Google product.

Been hearing a lot of bad things about those Chrome, Google as well Yahoo. Some experts told me that they usually have hidden software in them that spy on user's pc. Such as mal/spywares can trigger depending on the actions.

Since China and other places have made some weird software that was embedded in microchips and I wouldn't be surprised they are behind these software too.
1EyedJacks

Post by 1EyedJacks »

There's a reason Microsoft is going to Spartan in 2015...
TTFN,

Mike

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”