HQ to HQ support unit movement

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

MisterBoats

HQ to HQ support unit movement

Post by MisterBoats »

Is it possible to reassign support units between HQs that are separated by sea hexes? For example, say that V Army HQ is in Oran, and I want to move it by sea to Palermo, after Palermo has been captured and fully repaired. I need to lessen the transport cost of the HQ so that it can disembark in the smaller port. Is there any way that I can transfer some of the SUs to 15th Army in Siracusa? Or, if AFHQ is the only HQ remaining in North Africa, how can I transfer SUs to Army Group/Army HQs nearer to the front? I could not find the answer in the manual. I just need to know if all of the reassignments need to be done before the HQs ship out.

Thanks!
Grotius

RE: HQ to HQ support unit movement

Post by Grotius »

I've been wondering the same thing. My AFHQ is still sitting in North Africa, too.
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

I found a (sort of) solution in restarting the grand campaign. I simply farmed out the SUs from 15th AG and AFHQ to lower hq's, while keeping the lower ones "lean" enough to disembark in Sicily. I had not paid enough attention to the number of SUs in the higher commands, previously. But 8th Army, in Malta, was unable to attach any SUs from 15th or AFHQ. I'll try again when Monty is safely in Sicily.

ratprince

Post by ratprince »

You have to be on the same land mass and connected via supply network and in command range to be sent an SU
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

I have been able to move 15th AG into the temporary port at Gela and -- without disembarking it -- have 7th Army attach several construction battalions from the 15th. Therefore, I guess that it would be possible -- if very gamey --to use HQs as a sort of shuttle service for transporting SUs from Africa-Sicily-Italy. There may be something I'm missing in all of this.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Your not missing anything. Attaching support units to HQ's over sea hexes should be something that we could do. If they travel over sea hexes, they should be charged SMP's. It's a major pain shipping HQ's around to get SU's attached to HQ's on different islands.
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

ORIGINAL: mike mcmann

You have to be on the same land mass and connected via supply network and in command range to be sent an SU
That is not my experience.

On one hand, after an invasion of Northern Europe you have to manually ship over the higher-level HQ with the support units to get them there. The same is true with the Anzio beachhead - the units there can't get support units from HQ's that are behind the main line, only from the HQ in the beachhead.

On the other hand, I can click on a unit in the Anzio beachhead and manually change its HHQ from VI US Corps to SHAEF back in England, for example, which seems inconsistent with the above cases. See this screenshot, where I can reassign the 756th US Tank Bn, currently assigned to 36th US Inf Div in Anzio, to SHAEF. I also can reassign AA SU's from units and also HQ's in Italy and North Africa to SHAEF.

Cary

Attachments
ShippingS..overseas.jpg
ShippingS..overseas.jpg (341.55 KiB) Viewed 39 times
Radagy

Post by Radagy »

In this thread I came up with a similar issue:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3780530

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”