High casualities among CW Carrier sections?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Kronolog

High casualities among CW Carrier sections?

Post by Kronolog »

It seems to me as if the commonwealth carrier sections are taking disproportionally high losses in battles. I've embedded an example from a 1944 (D-Day) campaign against the AI on challenging. It's turn 9 and I've lost 960 carrier sections and 892 rifle sections, even though the carrier sections only make up a relativity small part of the infantry strength in commonwealth divisions. Is this WAD?

Attachments
carrier.jpg
carrier.jpg (586.82 KiB) Viewed 34 times
Jajusha

RE: High casualities among CW Carrier sections?

Post by Jajusha »

As Axis, i can report doing these type of casualties to carrier sections. My interpretation, is that this was a sort of ambush (AT rifles firing at close range):

HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

This could be a function of what units have been fighting. Whilst overall, Carrier sections might be a low % of troops, if you use mobile divisions to do your fighting you will expose them a lot more. If Carrier sections are the only infantry present, they will be the only infantry casualties. Also this is one example...Anyone else seen this?
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Kronolog

Post by Kronolog »

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

This could be a function of what units have been fighting. Whilst overall, Carrier sections might be a low % of troops, if you use mobile divisions to do your fighting you will expose them a lot more. If Carrier sections are the only infantry present, they will be the only infantry casualties. Also this is one example...Anyone else seen this?

In my experience this happens more or less every time; regardless if you attack with CW infantry divisions or armour divisions, the ratio of lost carrier sections to rifle sections is roughly 1:1, which means that more often than not you loose half or more of the carrier sections in a division per each deliberate attack it conducts.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Could be an issue then... if the sections are being engaged by AT weapons it could imply they don't morph into infantry at close range, effectively dooming then to fight mounted. If they did that in RL you would get high losses. Carrier Platoons should be vehicles at range 2000+ and infantry by 500, transitioning somewhere between
I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”