Getting Free Intel in Log Window

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tinjaw

Getting Free Intel in Log Window

Post by tinjaw »

What do I need to change so that I don't get the kind of free intel that I am getting in the log. Stuff like this...
9:26:15 PM - Contact GOBLIN #16 has been lost.
9:26:15 PM - Weapon: Mk46 LWT Mod 2 #304 is attacking Biologic Tuna Fishes with a base PH of 70%. Final PH: 70%. Die Roll: 58 - HIT

IOW I don't want to know that GOBLIN #16 was a school to tuna. Since I never got an ID from anything, I should not be given the information that it wasn't a sub.

Another one...
9:24:10 PM - Contact GOBLIN #15 has been lost.
9:24:10 PM - Event: 'Soviet Submarine Sunk' has been fired.
9:24:10 PM - Weapon: Mk46 LWT Mod 2 #302 is attacking PL- 613 Whiskey V Class with a base PH of 70%. Final PH: 70%. Die Roll: 25 - HIT
9:24:10 PM - Decoy (Generic Acoustic Decoy; Tech: Early 1970s) from PL- 613 Whiskey V Class is attempting to seduce sensor: Torpedo Seeker (Tech: Early 1970s)(Guiding weapon: Mk46 LWT Mod 2 #302). Final probability: 15%. Die Roll: 17 - FAILURE
9:23:56 PM - Weapon: Mk46 LWT Mod 2 #300 is attacking PL- 613 Whiskey V Class with a base PH of 70%. Final PH: 70%. Die Roll: 92 - MISS
9:23:56 PM - Decoy (Generic Acoustic Decoy; Tech: Early 1970s) from PL- 613 Whiskey V Class is attempting to seduce sensor: Torpedo Seeker (Tech: Early 1970s)(Guiding weapon: Mk46 LWT Mod 2 #300). Final probability: 15%. Die Roll: 99 - FAILURE

I don't want to know there is a decoy involved and I don't want to know I sunk PF-613, because I never identified it. The only reason I know it is is because of the die roll information being provided.

[update]Just to clarify, I do want to see the other stuff in the log window like contacts spotted and such. So I don't want to just close the log window.
Marder

RE: Getting Free Intel in Log Window

Post by Marder »

nice find
+1

should be easy to fix!
[&o]
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Can't you simply turn that off in the message window through game options?
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Game Options -> Message Log. You can filter (by type) messages to appear only on the log, or appear and raise a pop-up (useful for stopping the sim clock), or not appear at all.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Page 35 in the manual
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

I understand that message types can be turned on and off, but I can't seem to find what I need to turn off to not get the types of messages with the free intel in them. What is the setting that I need?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I am not at a computer I can look at now, but you can actually try to do the work yourself. You seem to know the feature is there, there is absolutely nothing stopping you taking 10 minutes and trying them.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

weapon logic and weapon end game calc...that should do them all except the sub sunk event. Turn off events.

I didn't test that, but used basic common sense.
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

Common sense works just fine. Remove all logic and calculation messages and you will jus revive a "contact lost" message if you sink something. The problem that still persist though is that the unit definitions or example Goblin #1, will stay with that logical contact do ever. If you have a contact with a sub in the Atlantic, then lose it and it grows old. The next time you detect the same sub it instantly will be given the same contact identifier. Hence you are served intel of that it's the same contact and not a separate one. Yes of course passiv sensors might be able to come to this conclusion, but this is regardless of detection method.

It's not a big problem and everything else is just brilliant with this game, so it's really hard to notice ;)
dusky

Post by dusky »

Arre you sure about this? I just tried a simple scenario -- a FFG Perry & a Charlie SSGN. I let the FFG to detect the SSGN (it got designated Goblin #1). The SSGN then left the area, waited until the Goblin #1 contact gets lost and returned. When the FFG detected it again it got designated Gobllin #2.
tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

weapon logic and weapon end game calc...that should do them all except the sub sunk event. Turn off events.

It looks like, to get no free intel, that the following have to be turned off:

Weapon Damage
Weapon Endgame Calculations
Weapon Logic
Scenario Events

While testing this I also noticed a few times when having a pop-up raised didn't stop the game clock. But this wasn't often.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

We probably should document this on our FAQ. Thanks all for helped Tinjaw out.

Thanks!

Mike
Pergite!

Post by Pergite! »

ORIGINAL: dusky

Arre you sure about this? I just tried a simple scenario -- a FFG Perry & a Charlie SSGN. I let the FFG to detect the SSGN (it got designated Goblin #1). The SSGN then left the area, waited until the Goblin #1 contact gets lost and returned. When the FFG detected it again it got designated Gobllin #2.

That is true, but it takes quite a long time for the game to drop a contact for you right? While it till is a contact it will instantly be moved from the last known location to the new one. If the contact however is dropped automatically or manually it will receive a new number when detected again.
nocacounsel

Post by nocacounsel »

ORIGINAL: tinjaw

ORIGINAL: thewood1

It looks like, to get no free intel, that the following have to be turned off:

Weapon Damage
Weapon Endgame Calculations
Weapon Logic
Scenario Events

While testing this I also noticed a few times when having a pop-up raised didn't stop the game clock. But this wasn't often.

Along these lines, the "Contact Change" seems to also offer free intel when a unit "was observed attacking a friendly unit and is now considered hostile!". From what I have experienced, this message indicates an enemy unit has fired a missile though I often cannot yet see the missile with my sensors.

I believe this is the only 'free intel' Contact Change gives as otherwise the messages appear fair and limited to what my sensors can detect. And, of course, I'd certainly normally want the notice; it just seems to be more clairvoyant than it should be....?

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”