How Do I Manually Deploy Dipping Sonar

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

tinjaw

How Do I Manually Deploy Dipping Sonar

Post by tinjaw »

In the attached scenario No. 820 NAS #04 is in a hover at minimum altitude with dipping sonar active. Yet I see no indication on the map that it is active. I have underwater sensors range circles turned on, and I am seeing the sonar of my ships.

As a side note. Despite choosing the minimum altitude radio button, and it putting 20 ft into the dialog box, the helo will only lower to 33 ft.

I felt hovering at the lowest altitude would allow the dipping sonar to be deployed. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
ManuallyD..ngSonar.zip
(62.34 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
MR_BURNS2

RE: How Do I Manually Deploy Dipping Sonar

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

The Hotkey is shift+D, working fine here. They need to be either on a ASW/Sea Control mission or manually deployed.
Windows 7 64; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz; 6144MB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;

tinjaw

Post by tinjaw »

ORIGINAL: MR_BURNS2

The Hotkey is shift+D, working fine here. They need to be either on a ASW/Sea Control mission or manually deployed.

Ah! There is a command for that. Thank you.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

You'll also see a timer in your unit status showing status of deployment.

Mike
RobotCriminal

Post by RobotCriminal »

You can also just right click the unit if you are like me and can never remember hotkeys, there is a "deploy dipping sonar" option.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

How do I know that the sonar has been succesfully deployed ? I can't see any difference before/after ...
Thanks
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn »

AFAIK active sonar doesn't have a range circle
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

How do I know that the sonar has been succesfully deployed ? I can't see any difference before/after ...
Thanks

It should show up in the unit status as active (can't remember the exact notation).
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Just had a second look but definitely can't see anything ...
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
Eggstor

Post by Eggstor »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

Thanks
In the Unit Status window of the deploying helicopter, the "Status" will include "Deploying Dipping Sonar" and the time remaining for the current dip. Also, if you bring up the Sensors box, the sonar will be listed as "Operational".
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

It's only for helicopters ? Mu unit is a sub, and I was thinking that the dipping sonar is the towed array ? But now you said it it seems I was wrong.
But this leads me to a general remark about the UI: there should be a beep (and ideally a message too, or that the option is greyed) when performing any illegal action, otherwise it's really difficult to understand what's going on ...
But thanks, I will check with a helicopter.
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Towed arrays operate automatically, either from subs or surface ships. Dipping sonar is deployed on a winch from a helicopter.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

ORIGINAL: ultradave

Towed arrays operate automatically, either from subs or surface ships. Dipping sonar is deployed on a winch from a helicopter.
Got it now, thanks !

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”