New player seeks starting advice

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jwolf

New player seeks starting advice

Post by jwolf »

I've played WITE for about 2 years and have a moderate amount of experience with that game. Now I am moving to the other side of the world for the contemporary but much different conflict that is modeled in WITPAE. I haven't actually tried to play the game yet -- I'm still in the middle of the manual -- but I admit to feeling a bit overwhelmed. Is there a good beginner's guide through a small scale scenario? I am hoping for something like the excellent "Operation Boot Camp" in WITE. For that matter, which scenario is best for a new player? All advice would be much appreciated.
Mundy

RE: New player seeks starting advice

Post by Mundy »

The Coral Sea scenario is probably a good raw starter scenario.  It's only a few turns, and doesn't really deal with the logistic side much.  Logistics runs the war otherwise.

It's a straight ship/plane handling scenario.

I'm a bit spoiled, having grown up on the system starting with Uncommon Valor.  The scale of things was all I had to adjust to.
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

Welcome aboard.

I suggest that you play Coral Sea from both sides against the AI. Then find a person willing to show you the ropes by playing the short scenarios from both sides of the fence against this mentor. After that jump into a Grand Campaign PBEM and take your lumps while learning. It kind of worked for me and I have so much more to learn as I get thumped, but loving the game.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Mundy's right-start with a smallish scenario to get a feel for the interface. Play it a few times from either side and move on to another scenario. Coral Sea can give way to the "1000 mile" Aleutian campaign then maybe Guadalcanal. The Marianas campaign scenario is much longer and with many more moving pieces, but still enjoyable.

Good luck! Be sure to follow up here with any questions you may have-this is a very helpful forum.
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

Welcome,

This is a good one to read:
tm.asp?m=2564541

A large scenario but you don't have to go the distance to get the basic ideas.
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Welcome, fool around with the AI but I recommend you find a newish player as a human opponent and jump into a small scenario. Playing vs a human is a whole different experience. Read some of the long running After Action reports as well. You will learn a lot more there than in the manual.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Welcome! Along with these other fine bits of advice I'd add 1) Play every short scenario , from both sides. 2) find an experienced player as a mentor. That can save you a lot of questions on the forum for simple stuff like "how do I find this? or How do I do that?". Then you can do the forum for bigger , more complicated stuff. Have fun! [:D]
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

I am a noob studying the game looking for a starting player for PBEM at some point in the near future. [:)]
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Hyacinth, I sent you a PM. Maybe we can blunder our way into the Admirals' Hall of Shame together. [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”