Ship losses

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

JocMeister

Ship losses

Post by JocMeister »

I know this has been brought up in a another thread but it was never answered.

Playing a full campaign I landed around Salerno a couple of turns back. I keep loosing a crap load of ships each turn. 5-10 troop ships and 20-30 cargo ships.

Looking at interdiction levels there are some Axis interdiction outside Salerno and in the waters between Sicily and Salerno. Numbers are mostly 1s with the odd 2 thrown in here and there. Allied interdiction is 4-6 in the area. There are some gaps though where WA interdiction is down to 1-2. But on those areas there are no Axis interdiction.

How can I tell WHERE the ships are actually being sunk and what can I do to prevent it?

jhdeerslayer

RE: Ship losses

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Do a search on the forum as I think the in game losses are per 250 tons so the losses are in 250 tons increments and not ship quantities. Not sure on your WHERE question though maybe activating the Interdict button will show you the loss/battle location.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

Do a search on the forum as I think the in game losses are per 250 tons so the losses are in 250 tons increments and not ship quantities. Not sure on your WHERE question though maybe activating the Interdict button will show you the loss/battle location.

I thought about including this in my guide and decided not to, but since the question was asked again I think I will.

Here's a quote from Joel from the thread you're referencing:

"Be aware that these are really more like transport points, as each transport only carries 1000 tons and each cargo ship only carries 250 tons. I understand a liberty ship could carry close to 10,000 tons, so that means each liberty ship would be represented by up to 40 cargo ships in the game. When you look at it this way, then it doesn't look so bad. Also, not all the transports lost are transports destroyed. We've abstracted lost ships and lost time from ships that are damaged or in need of refit. "

tm.asp?m=3769336

Hope this helps, Joc!
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Deerslayer, I tried search but couldn´t find anything relevant. Using the interdict button or looking at battles though the commanders report doesn´t seem to show where the losses are occurring. I find it hard to try and prevent more losses when I don´t even know where they are happening.

Bamilus, the link you posted is actually to this thread! I presume you meant to post the URL to the one where Joel posted? [:)]
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Joc,

Haha, my fault. I edited my post but here is the thread:

tm.asp?m=3769336

EDIT: To answer your other question, it appears that there is no way to see where they were lost:

tm.asp?m=3759854

"Yes, there is no icon as it doesn't get any battle site. Something to be added to the new naval module in the works.

As for now, I think if you go immediately to the losses screen, sunk troops (ground elements) should be added to the last battle column. I'm not sure if previous battle is not cleared prior the naval movement though. "
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Thanks for the URLs and help! [:)] I´ll read through them later tonight.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”