More updates for all the expansions not just Universe!!

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

aaatoysandmore

More updates for all the expansions not just Universe!!

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I'm tired of seeing updates for Universe and not the previous versions. I get nothing while others get new stuff. I bought the expansions too yah know. I want my support. (without having to spend more money which I already spent enough) I have no problem with new expansions getting updates. But, I want the old expansions updated too.
ASHBERY76

RE: More updates for all the expansions not just Universe!!

Post by ASHBERY76 »

I would prefer the developer spending time on the version that 99.9 will be playing.
Vlad77

Post by Vlad77 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I'm tired of seeing updates for Universe and not the previous versions. I get nothing while others get new stuff. I bought the expansions too yah know. I want my support. (without having to spend more money which I already spent enough) I have no problem with new expansions getting updates. But, I want the old expansions updated too.

Admittedly it's been a long time since I have posted but I had to weigh in on this comment.

Perhaps you missed the memo that for each DW game/expansion you own you would receive a discount toward the price of Universe? All due respect but your statement that you "get nothing while others get new stuff" is rather inaccurate to say the least. Matrix Games was very upfront about how the discount pricing for the upgrade worked and we were given plenty of advanced notice. Not only was the process easy but I also received a Steam key as well and I hasten to add that with the discount for Universe the price was a literal steal.

Universe is really a unifying concept made real with a LOT of new content. The support is here and it IS active. Please remember that DW is developed by ONE person and Eric and crew at Matrix Games have gone above and beyond the duties of a publisher is assisting with support for this magnificent game.

Like you, I bought every expansion and I was one of the earliest purchasers of the original game. Every question I have had was answered promptly and courteously. Patches flowed and the base game was "fixed" and each succeeding expansion broadened an already immense and immersive game experience. DW: Universe is the culmination of the THE definitive space 4X. Name any other title that truly allows you to create the universe and the game YOU want to play. The only real contender is the older Space Empires series and number four in that series still holds up well. That being said, Space Empires, for as much as I love it is nowhere near as complex.

You rail that you want "your support" as if you were forgotten. Again, I mean no disrespect but the support that Matrix Games provides is, pardon the pun, stellar. Try getting "support" from the deep pocket industry monoliths like EA, Activision, UbiSoft, etc., and perhaps after that rather distasteful experience you may appreciate the dedication of this developer and this publisher.

As Universe gets patched the entire series becomes patched now as a result because everything in integrated. Community work here has been superb with modders working diligently to update older mods to Universe.

I remember launch day and the ensuing days and weeks afterward. Eric Rutkins and crew jumped in, rolled up their collective sleeves and pushed out fixes and patches like steely eyed missile men and women. I have not seen a lapse in that dedication. Though I have not posted here in ages, I do lurk. Yes there are still some little nags and even a few larger ones. But all in all, this game through all of its iterations is rock solid in comparison to many broken AAA and "indie" titles.

I've gotten stung in the past but not by Matrix Games. Remember the buzz about Legend of Pegasus? That developer released a game so very broken that today it would never even make Early Access. They took their money, folded up their tents and as for Steam, there are NO refunds. Godus, the new god game from 22cans and Peter Molyneux turned out thus far to be a Steam crowd funded support for what has become a FREE Android/iOS app.

You could politely message Eric and courteously explain your concerns and ask if the upgrade discount is still in place. You may well be surprised to learn that polite human interaction is far more effective than playing at being a martyr. In fact, I err when I use that term because a martyr sacrifices for a noble cause whereas your complaining is nothing more than base whining. You feel victimized and if this was an EA forum I would sympathize but given all that I have written about Matrix Games and its unwavering support of this game plus the fact that Matrix Games is one of the very few publishers to weather the economic storms that saw many independent small publishers go the way of the pay phone. As I write this, I am also thinking of Shrapnel Games. They too have hung in there and here is some food for thought: both publishers cater to a niche cadre of gamers. This isn't Call of Duty, Diablo, WoW, Madden, mainstream publisher that can afford ads during the World Series and the Super Bowl. I highly doubt that the folks at Matrix Games are driving Lamborghinis and have 600 million dollar parachutes waiting for them.

Please try to communicate with Eric? I have found that he and the rest of the staff at Matrix reply promptly, courteously, and will do everything they can to ensure customer satisfaction.

Best,
Vlad
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
I would prefer the developer spending time on the version that 99.9 will be playing.
+1
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

+2
battleground

Post by battleground »

I would be with the OP on this. DWU is promoted and presented as just the basic game (series of 3) with increased modding
and customization ability. It nowhere states its an improved AI or improved Gameplay on its advertising. I buy a game once
to play it and expect updates, not having to buy the basic game all over again and have content that i don't use (to be able
to customize). I'm a long time Matrix player (even longer Grigsby player) not a fanboy that buys anything. I buy substance
and I would expect at least Shadows to get some updates for those many of us who prefer not to have a customizable game but
rather the stock game that is improved. I won't be buying Universe, I don't pay for the same basic game twice.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

As for any further updates to people who own the previous expansion, Matrix said that they plan to release one more update for the Shadows expansion, “ but all future modding/feature/performance improvements will be based on the Universe level”, confirmed Erik Rutins, Matrix Games Product Manager.

Source: Space Sector May 16th 2014

So it appears reasonable to expect one more update for Shadows and that's it.

As for the materials promoting Universe, I would agree on release there wasn't really much with the AI but there were a lot of changes after release, so they could probably say a little more now.

As for the update discount, I agree that is a problem, this thread is worth reading.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Let's look at it also from this perspective. CKII has a horde of DLC an expansions now and I get an update to CKII everytime they make a new DLC or expansion. I see no reason this can't be done here. I do not have a $40 coupon code in my members area like the upgrade page said would be there if one owned all the expansions before. I have a blank white page. Thus I do not even get a chance to upgrade at practically no cost. This is wrong and patterns itself likened to Battlefront and the way they charge for "patches" now. I should not have to upgrade anyway. I bought a game they promised to support. They did not say as we make new expansions we will stop supporting previous versions. Had they said that I would have never bought the first one. But up until UNIVERSE they did support earlier versions. They just stopped at Universe and didn't tell anyone in any advertisement that this is what they were going to do.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

Refer to my previous post. One more update for Shadows is what was stated.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I'll believe it when I see it. They've said a lot of false promises over the years and haven't come through. Where's Legion II Iain? Where's Combat Leader? Where's the Battles of Napoleon remake? Where's Panzer Command Western front?

I won't hold my breath now for an update to Shadows. Besides what about those people that don't own Shadows? Don't they deserve an update for their expansions?

If you're going to make a "base" game and then add DLC an expansions to it you should support from the "base" game onwards not the last DLC or expansion. Even Paradox doesn't do that to its customers. Even Creative assembly as it improves Rome II doesn't leave it's base game purchasers behind holding a bag of nothing.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
I'll believe it when I see it. They've said a lot of false promises over the years and haven't come through. Where's Legion II Iain? Where's Combat Leader? Where's the Battles of Napoleon remake? Where's Panzer Command Western front?

If you're going to make a "base" game and then add DLC an expansions to it you should support from the "base" game onwards not the last DLC or expansion. Even Paradox doesn't do that to its customers. Even Creative assembly as it improves Rome II doesn't leave it's base game purchasers behind holding a bag of nothing.

I follow one game here Distant Worlds and have less than zero interest in the games you mention. What I see consistently in plenty of patches and support, albeit sometimes slow, and I hope the drop in recent support effort is just due to the Xmas/New Year holidays.

It is reasonable to ask the question where the final update to Shadows is, given that is what they committed to. I'd support that. But nothing more. Matrix have been clear about their plans and that support would focus on the latest release, so no they do not deserve more updates given what has been communicated and since each release got a heap of patches.

Updates cannot go on forever. Each requires an investment of effort to develop. And again Matrix have been clear about their plans.

That said, they still sell Shadows. If you are going to sell a game then I agree it should be supported but again patches are another story. Why they sell the other versions at all now is beyond me. I would simply sell Universe with the pricing discounts available long-term for owners of previous releases.

Let me ask ... if they offered the pricing discounts initially in place for you to upgrade to Universe, would you? Given the improvements and mods available, why not?
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

So you expect a company to release patches for a game until the end of time? All games reach an end-of-life for support. The original DW was released 5 years ago, do you expect them to still release patches for that?
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

So you expect a company to release patches for a game until the end of time? All games reach an end-of-life for support. The original DW was released 5 years ago, do you expect them to still release patches for that?

For as long as the "base" game is part of the whole...then yes. They have supported Steel Panthers W@W a lot longer than that.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Is Shadows a standalone expansion or does it require the "base" game or other expansions to play? If it requires the base game then the whole should be supported not just "Shadows". If I'm going to have to read the 'small' print on every game I buy I'll just stop buying them from here. No other company except Battlefront does this type of sales and support that I know of and I've stopped buying from them. As I said I do get support from the base game onward when I get a Paradox or Creative Assembly product unless the complete title changes and a new era of game is released. I can accept that because it's clear from the purchase that one game is Rome Total War an another is Empire an another is Shogun II. They do not intermingle parts. Universe does.

From the product page of Shadows expansion: Please note: Distant Worlds – Shadows REQUIRES ownership of Distant Worlds, Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi and Distant Worlds: Legends.

Now goto the Universe product page and show me one statement as to what Universe other than a collectors edition of "all" the previous expansions and what reads to be "just a patch" of all the things before. There's nothing that states it's a "standalone" or must have previous. So it's just a patch including all the other expansions and they want another $50 for it. They can do whatever they want with it. But, I want my support for the games an expansions I bought that I abided by what they said. (must have previous base game and expansions which is on "Shadows" product page.

Also, please don't overlook the fact there isn't any coupon for $40 off in my members section where My coupons are suppose to be". Everything is registered too.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”