Achieving a Breakthrough

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

dereck

Achieving a Breakthrough

Post by dereck »

How does one have to set up their units in order to achieve a breakthrough through enemy lines?

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
carlkay58

RE: Achieving a Breakthrough

Post by carlkay58 »

That really depends upon the situation: what is the terrain? what kind of troops do you have? kind of troops your enemy has? Can you flank him - either on land, air, or sea? What is your air situation? Your naval situation? etc.
dereck

Post by dereck »

Not trying to be a pain, but I just want to know (generically) HOW to punch a hole through an enemy line.

I can push them back but I want to do more than that and break the 3rd Army through their lines.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

Look back to "Cobra." Air strikes, infantry assaults and armored assaults. Pound him with a stack of infantry (or 3), then rotate the divisions back and send in the armor. Get in as many attacks as possible. I've been able to punch a hole in a pretty well-defended line that way. Also, it may help to attack elsewhere along the line first, to draw off reserves. Maximize your efforts.
Mickrocks201

Post by Mickrocks201 »

I have found against the AI a great use for the armor cav is to use them as to push thru holes created first by Inf then pried further open by armor. The inf is good for initial attacks and use the available armor to attack the retreated units to enlarge the hole. Against a line of regiments defending usually after init inf attack the retreated units are CV 1, 2 or 3 and can be hit by exploiting armor with hasty attacks. I like to push as far as I can with a single armor and when that one runs out of steam, follow up with another armor and another until the attacked units are routed (if lucky) or a the hole is widened. Then run a bunch of cav thru - if they have 30-40 movement points you can get pretty far even if going thru one or two ZOC hexes. The AI seldom attacks the cav units and usually forms a weak line around the new salient.

Calls for some pre-planning. Stacks of infantry to initially pound 2 or three adjacent defenders, well supplied armor right behind and the cav right behind.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

Don't forget support units at the divisional level. Engineers to break forts. Artillery to soften forts and enemy units. Anti-armor, anti-aircraft, whatever anti-something your recon tells you the enemy has. More artillery at the corp level.

Attacking units : adapt to the terrain. Armored useless in mountain but very good in open, etc.

Air support : ground attacks targeting units and interdiction where you want to attack. More interdiction on the enemy's rear to avoid reserve units coming to the rescue.

Order of battle : if possible, 1 attack = 1 corps. At least, every attacking unit = the same army.

Commanders : the best corps commander possible for the type of units you'll use in the attack. Don't forget admin capacity, this will raise the chances that more support units will be used. Also check its army superior.

Strategy : think about the attack, but also think about the exploitation. You need units with MP's available once the front is breached to go and threaten the enemy's rear. Otherwise, you'll only have won 1 hex and you'll have to do it all over again next turn.
Jajusha

Post by Jajusha »

I think you won't find anything better then this:
Screenshots included
tm.asp?m=2658948
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: Jajusha

I think you won't find anything better then this:
Screenshots included
tm.asp?m=2658948

Great classic thread. 3 hex wide breakthrough is key point so you avoid the ZOC on the edges.
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”