Invading a port...not great to do...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

ratprince

Invading a port...not great to do...

Post by ratprince »

So, a little quirk that seems odd and annoying both...

If you invade a port and capture it, when offloading troops it does not count as a temp port even if you have a TFHQ outside. So the net effect is that you invade a port and then are restricted to offloading new arriving troops based on the damage value and size of the port whereas a temp port can unload/land any number of arriving units not dependent on the size...

Is this WAD? I would think that as long as the TFHQ is next to the invasion site you should be able to shore land as if you were invading.

Its a quirk I know...as invading an actual port is tough. But it really hurts the WA player to invade a small port because then the benefit of the Temp port is useless and you have this crappy damaged little port instead..

Thoughts?
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
Jajusha

RE: Invading a port...not great to do...

Post by Jajusha »

"Level 1 and 2 ports that are adjacent to an amphibious HQ unit are immediately fully repaired in the Allied logistics phase"

So, you should see no port damage when invading a lvl2 Port. You can check this in Husky. The port in Gela Italy is repaired to 100% in the invasion, serving as a great permanent supply Port.

You get a permanent depot.
You can move the Amphib HQ back to preparing another invasion.
You get a permanent shipping hex to bring in supplies.
You deprive the Axis of a depot. You get free naval interdiction.

And besides, you should never invade for a 1 hex landing zone, that's asking for trouble (so, my advice is offload units in non harbor hexes, while using the harbour ones as permanent depots). You can also deploy your Mul harbors in 44 for free lvl 4 ports...
ratprince

Post by ratprince »

Yeah..i know all that stuff.

Youre not getting what I am saying. With an invasion TFHQ temp port, you can land without restriction ANY size unit. If you capture a port hex, regardless of size, you are then restricted to the load limits of the port...
"Yeah that I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil...because I am."
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

IIRC unloading at a temp port is assumed to be over the beach by landing craft hence no capacity issues for unloading troops.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Jajusha

Post by Jajusha »

ORIGINAL: mike mcmann

Yeah..i know all that stuff.

Youre not getting what I am saying. With an invasion TFHQ temp port, you can land without restriction ANY size unit. If you capture a port hex, regardless of size, you are then restricted to the load limits of the port...

I understand, just pointing out the other advantages of invading the port directly.

Port:
Limited load capacity. Permanent. No Amphib HQ needed.
Beach:
Unlimited load capacity. Temporary. Amphib HQ needed.
ratprince

Post by ratprince »

Exactly Red Lancer. That was why it is actually NOT beneficial to immediately invade a port. You lose the ability to quickly deposit troops on the ground that are waiting at sea.

One would think invading and capturing Le Havre, for example, would be a huge boon. You should be able to pour ground troops into with "landing craft" no different than a beachhead one would think. It makes going for the ports in the first go counter intuitive.

Just a point. Not complaining if that is the intent. Just seems odd.
KWG

Post by KWG »

Good notice of detail

Beaches better for combat/mass landings of units.....

Port damage.... load/unloading structures damaged/blocked
Temp port = "lets go camping" port

The benefit of a port should be in the unloading of supplies/bulk goods, as opposed to the combat unloading of troops. In terms of greater speed and quantity.

Ports seemed to be the pearls the Allies quested after.
"A word was said - a mare is standing by the fence."
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

You are correct, beaches are better (at least for a while) than ports to invade. Ports, however, last forever and tend to be better in the long run.
ratprince

Post by ratprince »

Ive left TFHQs at temp ports for months just to be able rush offload troops. much faster to mass troops than ports.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”