[FIXED v1.11] some more of this "eternally circling too close"-bug

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Rongor

[FIXED v1.11] some more of this "eternally circling too close"-bug

Post by Rongor »

Game version:
v1.06 b624

Situation:
I played UK in the "Stand Up" Scenario, Argentina targeting the Falklands.

Observation:
I sent a EF Typhoon towards a MEKO corvette, tasking to drop some CPU-123 on it. The Typhoon now has entered an eternal 1 NM radius orbit around the target, obviously never gaining a proper attack attitude to drop.

Thoughts:
AI fails to simply go ahead outbound for some miles until turning inbound again for the next attack run. Probably he attempts to get the target dead ahead but can't achieve this due to the missing aircraft's turn on point abilities.

Second oddity:
If you look into this issue using the provided save game, please send away the Typhoon manually and then notice the MEKO (which is also turning eternally, apparently to follow the airborne threat) maintaining the direction of the egressing Typhoon. Would a Corvette do this? "Captain, enemy aircraft is escaping northbound" "Follow him!"[8|][:-]
I am not sure if this is on the scenario editor's side. In case it is not, you might want to review ground AI behavior towards airborne threats.

Attachments
StandUpcircling.zip
(65.76 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
batek688

RE: some more of this "eternally circling too close"-bug

Post by batek688 »

WAD -- they're British. Cue the Benny Hill music.
Midcon113

Post by Midcon113 »

I've seen this issue as well, but so far only with aircraft trying to engage ground targets - it's like they miss the target on their first run, and sometimes just circle the target without repositioning for another attack run.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

If I push the aircraft out and drop the weird plot it drops fine so its definitely an AI vs. human intervention thing. Pass[;)]

[:)]

Mike
Midcon113

Post by Midcon113 »

Well, it makes targeting the bogeys with SAMs a little easier, so I guess it's the AI giving us poor humans a pass? [:D]

You're correct - manual intervention fixes the issue - as long as the aircraft are still alive to intervene upon! LOL

Mark
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

They're are a bunch of reason's this could happen.

The most common reason this happens is the aircraft is not falling within a weapons release parameter and their are a bunch (alt, speed, boresite, target type, cloud cover(LGB/Optical) that could. You can find this out by looking in the manual allocation dialog (boresite, illumination etc), db viewer(legal target, sensors etc) and mouse cursor(weather).

Mike
Midcon113

Post by Midcon113 »

Hi Mike,

I'll check but I believe I've seen this when aircraft are assigned on strike missions using the mission editor and not given any human intervention - i.e. the computer's doing all the work on the strike, so it must be the one that put them in the wrong spot. I'll let you know if I can recreate that behavior. Was driving me nuts on the Alpha Strike tutorial at times.

Mark
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

If you do see that post a save for us and we usually can figure it out.

Mike
wthesing

Post by wthesing »

I bought the game thru Steam a week ago. I am seeing the same thing with Operation Market Garden. I have manually disengaged the attack, plotted a course toward the target after a brief egress, and the dance between a slow moving surface ship, and aircraft continues again. I checked weapon parameters as well. the weapon (Hydra Rocket) is at range limit, or just inside, and the two combatants revolve around this circle forever. Altitude was well within limit (10,000 ft.) and flight level was at 5000 ft.
Midcon113

Post by Midcon113 »

Just tried to set it up and the pilots behaved nicely. :) If/when I can recreate what I've seen similar to the OP's report, I'll post a save game.

Thanks!

Mark

PS: Your team's constant presence on the forums is greatly appreciated! Keep up the great support for a great game!
wthesing

Post by wthesing »

I wish I could help. I had a lockup while this was going on, and the autosave has it. I just don't know how to post the file.

I located the file, but the upload option says it is not supported.

I will restart & save to see if that works.

I saved to desktop, and still get the not supported message when attempting to upload.
Casinn

Post by Casinn »

Wthesing you need to zip it to post on Matrix boards. After 5 posts I think it will let you post zip/jpg/gif.
wthesing

Post by wthesing »

I hope this works.
Attachments
OPERATION..KETTIME.zip
(54.82 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi

Do me a favor and disable sounds in game (options menu). Let me know if this resolves your issue.

We're testing a fix for a known sound related crash but for now disabling it seems to help. Please let me know if it resolves the issue and very sorry for the trouble.

Thanks!

Oh in the future please do start a separate string in tech support. Helps us track and find your issues.

Mike
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: wthesing
I bought the game thru Steam a week ago. I am seeing the same thing with Operation Market Garden. I have manually disengaged the attack, plotted a course toward the target after a brief egress, and the dance between a slow moving surface ship, and aircraft continues again. I checked weapon parameters as well. the weapon (Hydra Rocket) is at range limit, or just inside, and the two combatants revolve around this circle forever. Altitude was well within limit (10,000 ft.) and flight level was at 5000 ft.

Just checked this using Build 640. Aircraft "VP-2 Truculent Turtle #01" correctly manouvers around the junk-boat target and first fires its rockets & guns, then finally drops its bombs. So i'd cosnider this a fixed issue.

In the future, _please_ post a new report on a separate thread, no matter how similar it seems to an existing post. See the guidelines here: tm.asp?m=3585262

Thanks!
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: Rongor

Game version:
v1.06 b624

Situation:
I played UK in the "Stand Up" Scenario, Argentina targeting the Falklands.

Observation:
I sent a EF Typhoon towards a MEKO corvette, tasking to drop some CPU-123 on it. The Typhoon now has entered an eternal 1 NM radius orbit around the target, obviously never gaining a proper attack attitude to drop.

Thoughts:
AI fails to simply go ahead outbound for some miles until turning inbound again for the next attack run. Probably he attempts to get the target dead ahead but can't achieve this due to the missing aircraft's turn on point abilities.

Second oddity:
If you look into this issue using the provided save game, please send away the Typhoon manually and then notice the MEKO (which is also turning eternally, apparently to follow the airborne threat) maintaining the direction of the egressing Typhoon. Would a Corvette do this? "Captain, enemy aircraft is escaping northbound" "Follow him!"[8|][:-]
I am not sure if this is on the scenario editor's side. In case it is not, you might want to review ground AI behavior towards airborne threats.

Save?
batek688

Post by batek688 »

FYI, the infinite circle is the same behavior as if you set a plane with LGBs above the cloud layer (so it can't mark the target), tell it to ignore plotted points, and then allocate weapons. I had 4 hornets circling around infinitely within range of Shilkas because they never hit their weapon release parameters and didn't "think" to fly away/return to avoid terrain, change altitude/etc.

My personal preference is the ability to enable the "auto-planner" in the mission creator in an ad-hoc fashion. Set the target using F1 and add an "auto-plan route" alongside of/in place of the "ignore plotted to attack."
Rongor

Post by Rongor »

ORIGINAL: Sunburn
Save?

... I would claim it is in the attachment right inside post #1
wthesing

Post by wthesing »

Ok, I turned off sound. No apparent changes. I will restart scenareo without sound to see what happens. Sorry about not knowing to start new thread, I'm pretty new here. I thought due to similar problem I was posting in the right place. My Neptune is still circling.

Bill :)
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Checked this in Build 650 and the bombs drop as expected.

We are, however, looking into cases of older bombs (e.g. Paveway I/II) that required ducking under the clouds to drop.

Return to “Tech Support”