Channel Islands?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

marion61

Channel Islands?

Post by marion61 »

A few turns ago, my opponent in a server game had taken one of the channel islands. When this happened my garrison values changed. It's a few turns later, and he still owns the hex, but has pulled his combat units off the island, and it reset all my garrison values back to normal, and causing me to lose 234VP's. From how I read the rule, even with him pulling off his combat units, that zone alone should be fine, but it is not. I hope that you guys will take a look at this rule, as it appears it is not being applied correctly after he's taken the islands off Cherborg.

Once the Allied player has combat units in any two of the
garrison regions, the need for region and city garrisons
(including security unit garrisons) ceases to exist. If any
hexes in a garrison zone are Western Allies controlled
the Axis garrison requirement is set to 0 in that garrison
zone and no cities in that zone require a garrison of any
kind. The partisan activity value is set to 10 and neither
side will gain or lose victory points for garrison levels in
this zone. If subsequently no Allied hexes are controlled
in the zone, the garrison requirements will immediately
return.
Belphegor

RE: Channel Islands?

Post by Belphegor »

that would be me as the opponent. As I mentioned in another thread I took one of the channel islands on a whim. Last turn, after dropping my airborne brigade destined for garrison duty, for now, into the sea rather than on the island (different thread) I pulled back my division on the island and was looking around for a regiment to use as a garrison. I'm currently repairing the airbase and have 3 air formations on the island.

So no, I have no ground combat formations. But I'm hoping at least this screenshot shows that I still have control of the island and it's thriving.

Attachments
wtf.jpg
wtf.jpg (66.87 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

and, apparently the result of removing my forces from the island.

Attachments
react.jpg
react.jpg (33.77 KiB) Viewed 45 times
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

Ummm, but I only had troops in one Garrison region, NW France. Think you may have fallen on a pointy stick. [;)]

ORIGINAL: meklore61

marion61

Post by marion61 »

So actually, it should never have changed to begin with, except for that zone alone.
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

ouch is that 234 points a turn or a one time hit?
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Jajusha

Post by Jajusha »

Baelfiin, its 234 per turn if the garisson requirements aren't met. As i pointed in another thread, its too much of a penalty.
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

Holy crap, because channel islands were taken and abandoned by allied ground troops? So you ended up redeploying your army and then the garrison levels were reinstituted?
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

Seems like the game checks for WA units instead of WA control, which makes no sense in this case.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Seems like the easiest fix to this is to simply make the Channel Islands NOT part of France....just islands.

I'm sure this one is on the next patch list......
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

The correction would be to check if the island/hex is Allied Controlled or Axis controlled, in this case where Allied air units are based there should suffice so the rule should say Allied units, not Allied combat units.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
marion61

Post by marion61 »

So by what your saying, since he only took one hex, still owns it, then why did it occur in the first place? And if I'm not mistaken, he has no air units there (not positive). Weather it reverts back or not, with only one hex taken, in one zone, this should never have occurred.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Any thoughts?
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

I have active air units there. [:'(]

Just still casting around for a new garrison

So by what your saying, since he only took one hex, still owns it, then why did it occur in the first place? And if I'm not mistaken, he has no air units there (not positive). Weather it reverts back or not, with only one hex taken, in one zone, this should never have occurred.
Belphegor

Post by Belphegor »

Are you sure it isn't the 2nd half of that particular rule that's firing?

18.2 states that the garrison requirement is set to 0 only for the zone, not for all garrison zones. As well, although some garrison requriement drop if I have invaded a European hex you still need to use security units to garrison certain cities.
I can't see your side of the map so not sure if you know all that and it's not working as expected.

A few turns ago, my opponent in a server game had taken one of the channel islands. When this happened my garrison values changed. It's a few turns later, and he still owns the hex, but has pulled his combat units off the island, and it reset all my garrison values back to normal, and causing me to lose 234VP's. From how I read the rule, even with him pulling off his combat units, that zone alone should be fine, but it is not. I hope that you guys will take a look at this rule, as it appears it is not being applied correctly after he's taken the islands off Cherborg.

(including security unit garrisons) ceases to exist. If any
hexes in a garrison zone are Western Allies controlled
the Axis garrison requirement is set to 0 in that garrison
zone and no cities in that zone require a garrison of any
kind. The partisan activity value is set to 10 and neither
side will gain or lose victory points for garrison levels in
this zone. If subsequently no Allied hexes are controlled
in the zone, the garrison requirements will immediately
return.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

I do have sec. regiments in the cities. From the way the rule reads, when you invaded that one hex, only that zone, NW France should have set to the new values, and not every zone. When you pulled troops off the island (one hex you own), it reverted back to the old values. Only one zone should have been affected by your raid, and not every garrison zone.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”