Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Smirfy

RE: Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Post by Smirfy »

The save has been sent btw
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Another example I manage to surround two Motorized Brigades in Ancona, the two brigades teleport out another PG brigade teleports in and has a huge defence CV.
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

Smirfy - Ancona is a port, so it's possible that the Axis moved troops out and in via naval transport.

Cary
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

In the face of complete air supremacy in summer they move two motorizied Brigades out transport and guns etc and then move a Panzer Grenadier Brigade in all by sea. That is not even the biggest handicap the staff work to achieve such a an operation and assembling craft would be exceptional even before your factor in survivabilty
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

Smirfy - I'm not disagreeing with what you wrote, I'm just pointing out that the game allows it. And if you don't have naval patrols operating over the Adriatic, I think the AI will take advantage of it.
Cary
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

I would suggest they Axis naval transport capacity is slightly too high then
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Turn 46 the isolated pocket is destroyed btw
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

The transfer in the port hex would not work against another human, the AI however can do it. If you have the port negated by 100% damage AND control of the sea around it (i.e. your naval interdiction > enemy naval interdiction +2) then that should not work either. If it did, post the save in the tech support section so that they can look at it.
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Surrounded a regiment it took about 8 units to finnally corner it thankfully it moved out in to opend ground or it would have taken about 6 turns to destroy
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

How can it take you more than 6 units? There are only 6 hexes around a single unit.

I have been checking surrounded units. They survive if they get access to supply. I had a PG regt surrounded on 14 defence. It went 14 to 4 to 3 to surrendered (I hit it with 2 divs, and a regt to block retreat). I have another PG regt in Bari, was at about 11. It is now 28, since it has access to supplies. 2 reinforced divs will cause its demise next turn... My pockets haven't been moving. The first, I assume due to lack of supplies and the second since it didnt want to leave its base. Ihave been interdicting by land and sea of course...

I really do not think there is a generic issue. So the only possibility is something happens on specific machines, or your surrounded units are not as isolated as you think. Have you looked to see if the hex is actually isolated?
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

It takes 6 units because in bad terrain because you dont move to quick. Ill think you will find the screen shots a posted and the save I emailed as requested dont lie. I have seen this behavour several times in each game. The units were isolated they did not decrease in strength appreciably and moved. If they stop in anything other than clear forget about attacking until you get a set piece battle going as I have demonstrated. So now we have Regiments that can cause riots behind the lines. Its simple the isolation rules arnt working.
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Turn 52 and the AI has just pulled off the largest and most blatant cheat I have seen in the history of computer gaming. Multiple Units teleport out of line over ten at least deliver an attack then teleport back into line, If they just teleported to attack you would let it slide but it would seriously take 5-6 player turns to pull off what the AI did. Yeah I know play humans. I really love the strategy in this game air is on a real winner once problem gets ironed out but honestly the biggest killer is the AI it kills all immersion.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

It would be great to have a save of AI units doing too much in the attack. They shouldn't cheat move into an attack, although I can see there might be some stretching in the after attack shuffle to rebuild the line.

I have your save for the units isolated on turn 43 and have sent it to Gary to look into altering the routine that is supposed to weaken them when they get very low on supplies. We do not expect isolated units without depots or air resupply to be able to hold out as long as they seem to be able to now. A big attack will kill them once they get weak, but at some point it shouldn't require a big attack to get them to surrender.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Further to my 2 pockets. Bari obviously started running out of supply. 2 PG regts (missed one last post), CV = 26 after 3 turns. 2 reinforced Div got 9:1 on a deliberate attack, and the Germans rout.

The other pocket was hit by 2 divs plus 3 regts, and was at very low CV. Again, total surrender (actually surrender... isolated).

Total losses for turn, GE = 12003 men, 159 Guns, 27 AFV. Me (WA) = 1038 men, 17 Guns, 2 AFV

Really not seeing any funniness here. AI made a bit of a mistake getting 3+ PG divisions pocketed in the 'foot' of Italy. Mind you, I had 5th Army ashore at Salerno, and 8th Army split, 1 Corps landed on the toe, and the others came ashore at Taranto. That seemed to confuse it, it didn't pull back until too late (5th Army had 2 Armd Divs, and they broke out onto the plain of Foggia, and cut the ankle!)

Anyone else having jumping AI, roaming pockets etc?
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

Anyone else having jumping AI, roaming pockets etc?

No, to be honest.

Like you I've locked the AI up in a port, done enough sea interdiction to limit resupply and waited a few turns. Their CV comes down turn after turn, till I'm ready to do the final step. Usual result is a surrender, sometimes a rout (seems to be dependent on morale and the level of naval interdiction). Like in WiTE, a tough German unit has more capacity to absorb a hammering than a unit of a nationality who would rather the war went elsewhere.

The one hex guarenteed move does cause some problems closing a pocket and most veterans of WiTE (esp from the German side) have learnt the hard way that a retreat can sometimes lead to chaos in your HQ chain as they retreat in the 'wrong' direction. So in the Italian mountains its very hard to directly cut off retreating units but if you get a good breakthrough you can seriously dislocate a defensive line.
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Like I keep saying it is possible to contain and destroy units in clear terrain as isolating them ain't much of a problem especially with the plethora of armoured brigades. I have no complaint about City defence apart from 1/ units can rout from ports (no matter what level of naval interdiction) 2/ Support units seem to be able to teleport in and out 3/ Support units may be supporting from outside the pocket. When you get to the mountains and your units cannot move very far the story changes. I ran an isolation test on a City with naval interdiction in play and it seems to be working reasonably enough bar the idiotic routing. The bottom line is however as a paying customer I should be playing rather than "testing" .
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

But so far, we appear to be testing your experience of the game. No one has reported problems like yours.
Wild

Post by Wild »

So far I've had no problems either. I'm not really sure what all the complaining is about. They seem to have really nailed it with this game. I'm seeing very few issues, and i'm one who complained vocally when WITE was first released. Good job 2by3.

GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite

But so far, we appear to be testing your experience of the game. No one has reported problems like yours.

Just FYI, my frustrations aren't so different then Smirfy's. Though, in my case, I checked the MP's listed in the manual and I think a motorized unit with high enough speed ( I assume the HG Panzer Div qualifies) could theoretically have pulled off that move under player control as well... so not blatant cheating.

Just having a tough time accepting that the HG Panzer Division can pull out of enemy ZOC on the West coast of Italy drive 5 hex's over rough terrain and 2 in the clear in the mud over Italian roads and pull into a position in enemy ZOC on the opposite side of the line on the East coast of Italy and enjoy full defensive benefit of the Fortifications it just arrived at... and suffer no combat readiness loss despite every plane in the 15th Air Force set to interdict it (and those fortifications impervious to every plane in the Tactical Air Force trying to pound them with Ground Support). It's just counter-intuitive from a game-play perspective that such a thing SHOULD work....but according to the MP's listed in the manual... it is probably possible that a player could do it as well.

Not trying to hi-jack the thread.... I just wanted to point out that Smirfy is not entirely alone in his frustrations.... as you seem to be implying.

Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Thanks Mel, I agree with what your saying on your thread. Like I said I would have let the AI jump slide even though it stretched credibility but the jump back into line afterwards was just too much.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”