Soviet Doctrine readings.

Share your best strategies and tactics with other players by posting them here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

governato

Soviet Doctrine readings.

Post by governato »

The Communist Party and the Soviet government are consistent and persistent in conducting a Leninist peace-loving foreign policy, directed toward relaxing international tension, universal and complete disarmament, and ensuring peace and the security of all nations.
However, reactionary imperialist circles are striving to wreck detente, to prevent disarmament and to provoke a world war...

I really wanted to learn more on Soviet doctrine to play the WP side of FPC scenarios in a more realistic way. So I have found two good readings that you can get from the links below.

The above opening (the `However' bit is quite masterful) comes from 'Tactics. A Soviet View', a great original document (if a bit flourished :)) on Soviet doctrine. You can get it HERE

An even better one, (but written in 1976 so maybe a bit outdated) is from the US point of view and more specific on FPC level tactics rather than the operational doctrine is SOVIET TANK BATTALION TACTICS

Enjoy!
PaladinZeroSix

RE: Soviet Doctrine readings.

Post by PaladinZeroSix »

"Tactics" is useful. Also very useful are the three "Heavy OPFOR" manuals written by the US Training and Doctrine Command. They're more complete and recent than the DIA publications. Wherever you read "OPFOR," substitute "USSR."

Y'all will have to google them yourselves, since I'm not allowed to post links yet.[:-]

Heavy Opposing Force (OPFOR) Operational Art Handbook
Heavy Opposing Force (OPFOR) Tactical Handbook
Heavy Opposing Force (OPFOR) Organization Guide
JohnOsb

Post by JohnOsb »

Here these two documents can help as well:

Soviet Motorized Rifle Battalion

Soviet Tank Company Tactics
funkatron3000

Post by funkatron3000 »

I've found that the Cold War Gamer blog (http://coldwargamer.blogspot.com) is a great resource for Soviet doctrine and tactics in general. The blog's emphasis is on 20mm miniatures but a lot applies to FPC:RS too. The blog's author has also done several reviews of books that focus on the Soviet perspective. I got two for Xmas: Soviet AirLand Battle Tactics and Weapons and Tactics of the Soviet Army. The reviews, including book reviews, are at http://coldwargamer.blogspot.co.uk/p/reviews.html

Return to “The War Room”