Seriously?? Damage to own ships??

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

twinkypillow

Seriously?? Damage to own ships??

Post by twinkypillow »

Ok I don't know if this has been around but when My SpacePort has PointBlank attack settings with tractor beams and weapons whenever a ship gets "pulled in" and "destroyed" in the center of my base while i'm building 70 ships they either become completely damaged or DESTROYED!!

WHO in their right mind would set this?? i like how when ships blow up they damage things around them.. but then why would i ever put tractor beams on my spaceport!! ???

well lets see, 1 reason might be because i wanted to have 35 lasers attacking an enemy ship but the range is too far so i NEED the tractor beams to pull it in closer so the lasers can attack.. but NOOOO... instead it pulls it in the center only to be destroyed while destroying my own ships building..

ok.. got that out of my system..

so apparently i have absolutely no choice but to put no tractor beams on space ports, or have every port set to "evade"...

great job guys.. great job..

Attachments
damage.jpg
damage.jpg (154.46 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Shark7

RE: Seriously?? Damage to own ships??

Post by Shark7 »

Splash damage. It happens. The explosion from the enemy ship damages whatever is in the blast radius. It sucks, but its realistic.

So you can either put the base on evade, or use longer ranged weapons (I use missiles on my stations).

Or you can put assault pods on the bases like I do and capture enemy ships when you pull them in.

Or just accept that when you are attacked, things are going to get destroyed. [:(]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Yeah you can take friendly fires, so becareful on some blast radius weapons.
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

guys.. i'm saying i have "lasers", like shatter-force or whatever on my base.. like 35 ok..

now when my tractor beam pulls enemy ships in it destroys them in the middle of my spaceport while building.. there is no blast radius weapons?? (you mean area weapons?? i dont use those>) this is just straight up when anything is destroyed it damages things around it.. maybe that is what you mean as "blast area weapons?"

anyway, yes the ONLY solution is to take off my tractor beams.. which then renders the space port defenses (lasers) useless because of the range.. so yes i apparently have to use only missiles and fighters for defense of my spaceport or any base of that matter..
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: pumkinfacer22

Ok I don't know if this has been around but when My SpacePort has PointBlank attack settings with tractor beams and weapons whenever a ship gets "pulled in" and "destroyed" in the center of my base while i'm building 70 ships they either become completely damaged or DESTROYED!!

WHO in their right mind would set this?? i like how when ships blow up they damage things around them.. but then why would i ever put tractor beams on my spaceport!! ???

well lets see, 1 reason might be because i wanted to have 35 lasers attacking an enemy ship but the range is too far so i NEED the tractor beams to pull it in closer so the lasers can attack.. but NOOOO... instead it pulls it in the center only to be destroyed while destroying my own ships building..

ok.. got that out of my system..

so apparently i have absolutely no choice but to put no tractor beams on space ports, or have every port set to "evade"...

great job guys.. great job..

This is why you build "defensive" bases so nothing get near your port and just edit your port to not have tractor beams but your defensive bases do. Solves that problem quite well. [:D]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

That's another good point, my main spaceport is surrounded by up to 8 defense bases, all of which have multiple tractor beams to pull enemy ships towards them (and away from the spaceport in the process).
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

This one is an easy fix, just set your station to Evade/Stand Off instead of Point Blank. The tractor beams then push the attacking ships away.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: Extreme Boyheat

This one is an easy fix, just set your station to Evade/Stand Off instead of Point Blank. The tractor beams then push the attacking ships away.

This is correct but I also use defensive bases(build more than 4)to keep a large starport safe.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Did you put any AoE weapons on the base?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Indiscriminate damage is why I never use AoE weapons. Sufficient Fighters and Torpedo barrages keeps the fight at range so i can disregard the attackers AoE.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Indiscriminate damage is why I never use AoE weapons. Sufficient Fighters and Torpedo barrages keeps the fight at range so i can disregard the attackers AoE.
That's why I asked the question. Maybe I've been blind, but I have only seen explosion damage from bases exploding, not from ships.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”