New mines appearing in a base for a modded scenario

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JClass

New mines appearing in a base for a modded scenario

Post by JClass »

Hi,

I modded S2 to create a custom scenario for a PBEM, and my opponent (he is playing the Allies) has accused me of cheating after he spotted that 250 mines exist in Sapporo, when non appear in that base in OOB S2.

I did not add these mines through any intended action, and neither I nor my PBEM opponent knows how they can me added. However, my PBEM opponent has demanded that I prove that I did not cheat before he will continue.

So, does anyone know how mines can be added to a base before a game starts in this situation?

Sorry for the question, but it may save the PBEM. Although at this point I wonder why I care.

Thanks,
JC
rustysi

RE: New mines appearing in a base for a modded scenario

Post by rustysi »

Sapporo!!???!? Who gives a rats... Is this the beginning of the game? If it is I'd ask him how the he** he knows how many mines I have there. Did he have a bad opening move? I don't know JC, you're not giving too much info here, but if its at the start and he's already whinning I'd move on. Just MHO.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
JClass

Post by JClass »

Thanks for the quick response Rustysi.

I think he loaded the scenario as a head2head and the mines also appeared there, as it does for me if I start a new game off the scenario.

Its about 55 turns in, no HRs. Palembang, Singers, Rangoon, Clark Field, Manila, Rabaul, Suva, Brisbane and the NE Aus bases taken. I have just landed in the base next to Port Augusta to seal off southern Aus from reinforcement from the west. The scen adds lots of unhistorical forces for both sides, IJ at the start with most of the extras for allies in 43. I have to get 4-1 VPs by 1/1/43, but even if I do we still continue and to even the game up he has to take 3 out of 5 designated bases in the Japanese Home Islands at the end of the game in 46. Historical/realistic? Hell no!

I do indeed think he is looking for a way to quit, but is trying to save his face by accusing me of cheating. I know him in RL, and I was hoping that we would actually continue a game until 46.

JC

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Yeah, I haven't played Scen2 but I'm aware of the extra stuff. How much experience does he have? Scen2 just makes the Allied start more painful and maybe they can lose. From what I understand the Allies just have to hang on until all their stuff starts to arrive. All that extra suff can also cause the Japanese player grief too if he's not careful. It can eventually break his economy if not balanced properly. Just looking at the map though who cares how many mines are at Sapporo. Even if I gotta take it at some point they're not a show stopper. He needs to soldier on.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

JClass

Post by JClass »

He has the same amount of PBEM exp as me, as we have only played each other in AE. I played the old WitP as the allies against the AI until 44, but that is the main difference.

As part of the agreed mods we reduced the Japanese pilot rep rate, and added +1000 daily supply to Chungking for the allies, so that helps both sides main weakness in S2. We added 1 new IJA Div, a couple of hundred LB AC, with the main mods being massive carrier based increases for the IJN at the start, and most of the allies response in 43. The plus side for the Japanese is that they can start very strong, but the long term resource drain is obvious.

He signed up for this scen, knowing the forces added to the Japanese at the start, with the allies response in 43. He has chosen a Sir Robin approach, saying he cannot stop me getting a 4-1 so wasting forces to try to stop me is pointless. That is his choice, and I do not blame him for that, but he is constantly saying I am bad for taking the Japanese with these extra forces, and is now saying I am cheating.

This is not the first game we have attempted, in fact I should have learnt my lesson. He quit the last game on turn 45ish when he was the Japanese when 2 of his CVs died when their TF went into the Singers hex and got rather spanked by the CDs and mines.

I guess that he will aways find a way to quit, but I was hoping the forum could explain the problem we are having, and make is clear I was not cheating. I assume he will respond on this thread at some point, but I have no wish to argue, I was only hoping for an expaination of the ingame situation. I guess I will soon be on the opponents wanted section!

JC
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Some of the scenarios are intended for Allied play against the AI only. They give the Japanese advantages that a skilled Japanese player can exploit to extremes that are very unrealistic.

As for the mines, the game engine mines friendly ports at random at game start. If I remember how it works, the engine is given X number of mines and it scatters them around the ports, with weight going to larger ports. It's been a while since I saw that in the code, but I believe you should see the number of mines in a given port vary from one game to the next.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Sorry JC don't know why the mines would appear there, but again to me, no big deal. As long as you're not getting 'free mines' all around. There's probably a logical explaination for it though, there usually is, and if he took Japanese CV's into an Allied controlled Singers it shows a lack of knowledge of the game.
I guess I will soon be on the opponents wanted section!

This may be a good option for you.

JClass

Post by JClass »

wdolson. That puts my questions on the mines to bed. Thanks for the repsonse.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”