Radar Jammers in Bombers?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dili

Radar Jammers in Bombers?

Post by Dili »

Would putting a Radar Jammer device - i am thinking of Mandrel and others employed in WW2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._515_Sq ... AF#Mandrel - in bombers would give better odds of not being intercepted?

IRL this were dedicated aircraft(Wellington, B-17) but for game would a bomber with a very small bomb load to accompany the real bombers will work? Or the jamming works by aircraft and not by "attack package"?
wdolson

RE: Radar Jammers in Bombers?

Post by wdolson »

I don't think the code currently supports such a thing.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

The first question is 'does the code have any accommodation for such a device?' I kinda doubt it because I assume that the modders who are/were on the development team would have said something.

Remember that the name you give to a device is just a text string that the game displays for us humans.
Dili

Post by Dili »

I don't know i asked because it appears in device types in AE editor. It is there Radar Jammer option device , also there Radar Detector device - maybe Metox like for submarines?
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Dili

I don't know i asked because it appears in device types in AE editor. It is there Radar Jammer option device , also there Radar Detector device - maybe Metox like for submarines?
News to me - I don't know!
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

It appears that electronic warfare IS present in code - in a very crude form
(just as most things are done on a very simplistic model form). You may
chose from ELINT, Radar Detector and Radar Jammer - at a minimum. These
are modeled using points - nominally on a scale of 100 - where the value
is likely the % chance of being effective. I have been using various
EW devices in RHS - but will need to get the 1945 scenario running to be
able to test most of them. A few, available early, do seem to have
a marginal effect, in testing to date.

Symon

Post by Symon »

Electronic warfare is not present in the code in any form, crude or otherwise. Don't care what that Sidney fellow says.

Certain device types are in the editor as a "holding pattern" flag for things that never got done in the commercially released executable. They are like the text strings that show up in the game - simple text strings than mean absolutely nothing. We should have erased them. Ciao. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Thanks.

Edit:

I saw some aircraft with Elint in stock scenario. I this chrome? I think some Japanese high altitude late bomber.

I think it also good idea to know what it works and what not:

So for now what does not work concerning Device Types are:

Radar Jammer
Radar Detector
GA Rocket(Ground attack) - i remember someone, maybe Alfred saying that aircraft rockets didn't work.

Question mark:
Navigation?
Factory Machine?

Works:
Aircraft Cannon
GP Bomb
AP Bomb
Plane Guided Missile
Drop Tank
Aircraft Radar - also employed for MAD - magnetic anomaly detectors to detect submarines
Ground Radar
Anti-Air Rocket
Balloon
AA Gun
DP gun
Army Gun
Naval Gun
AFV
Torpedo
Mine
Drop Tank
ASW
Squad
Engineer
Vehicle
Resource
A/C Engine
Elint - employed for Cameras. Camera capability changes with effect current value is 4. I suppose several cameras can be created to different levels of performance. I don't know how the game would handle multiple cameras in a F-9 Fortress for example so probably is better to create various models.

mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Symon
Electronic warfare is not present in the code in any form, crude or otherwise. Don't care what that Sidney fellow says.

Certain device types are in the editor as a "holding pattern" flag for things that never got done in the commercially released executable. They are like the text strings that show up in the game - simple text strings than mean absolutely nothing. We should have erased them. Ciao. JWE

Does that mean there's a modded .exe that has them included?
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

What it means is there are "stubs" in the code for features that were never completed. Radar jammers are among them. What you have in the latest beta has the most features of any .exe that has ever existed.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Thanks.

Edit:

I saw some aircraft with Elint in stock scenario. I this chrome? I think some Japanese high altitude late bomber.

I think it also good idea to know what it works and what not:

So for now what does not work concerning Device Types are:

Radar Jammer
Radar Detector
GA Rocket(Ground attack) - i remember someone, maybe Alfred saying that aircraft rockets didn't work.

Question mark:
Elint?
Navigation?
Factory Machine?

Works:
Aircraft Cannon
GP Bomb
AP Bomb
Plane Guided Missile
Drop Tank
Aircraft Radar
Ground Radar
Anti-Air Rocket
Balloon
AA Gun
DP gun
Army Gun
Naval Gun
AFV
Torpedo
Mine
Drop Tank
ASW
Squad
Engineer
Vehicle
Resource
A/C Engine

Dili,

"Elint" might be the term used for the recon cameras. Check in-game when you have a chance and see if the cameras on recon planes show up as Elint anywhere. I sort-of remember seeing that, but I might be mistaken.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Correct, Camera is classified as device type 15-ELINT, so ELINT is a device type that increases Detection Level over the hex the plane flies. I'll update my post above.

btw MAD is classified as device type 9- Aircraft Radar.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

What it means is there are "stubs" in the code for features that were never completed. Radar jammers are among them. What you have in the latest beta has the most features of any .exe that has ever existed.

Bill

What wdolson wrote above is very typical for a Grigsby game design. I well remember the 1990 Western Front, which is the granddaddy of the current WITW, having the 1940 German and Italian aircraft models in the database even though the game only started in May 1944.

Alfred
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Very interesting that there are or could be "stubs" in the code for features/functionality that was thought of but never implemented. Sounds like there could be opportunities for another update with this and possibly other additional features if the stubs were fleshed out....

Having said that as a new player I have enough to learn with everything already implemented.

Plus if some new effort was put in my preference would be to focus on the interface/GUI as the power and resolution of graphic cards/monitors has increased substantially since the game was first released. I run the game at 1980x1200 (which is great that this older game can run at this resolution and higher) but the buttons/icons at the top of the screen are small and do not convey what they do at that size clearly and the units are extremely simple/small on the map. In War in the East there are multiple versions of the map and units icons so you can zoom in to get more detail/larger images. In Close Combat Cross of Iron there is a zoomed in level that doubles the map size (It is automatic as there is no additional map) and then has a 2nd set of larger infantry/vehicle graphics.
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

Thanks for clearing that up. The way Symon worded his post implied that there was a .exe floating around with the cool radar features activated.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”