Luftwaffe attrition

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Carterjon

Luftwaffe attrition

Post by Carterjon »

I've been playing Battleground Italy and notice that the Luftwaffe is 90% gone after 30 odd turns, despite being given no missions, withdrawn fom airbases at risk of being bombed or overrun. Experimenting a little further, if I simply give the Allies no ADs and do not invade, so remain passive, Luftwaffe attrition remains around 50 airframes a turn, with one third being KIAs, even if all Gruppen are placed in rest mode. Training triples the losses. What is causing this? Too much Schnapps? BTW, the Allies seem to suffer insignificant operational losses under these conditions. Perhaps they are teetotal.
Helpless

RE: Luftwaffe attrition

Post by Helpless »

What do air losses charts say? Hard to comment w/o details. Training can be very destructive although it was toned down in the last patch.

Axis don't get too many trained pilots each turn (especially in limited map scenarios) and once they all used it pulls rookie crew, which does no good. Switching to "trained pilots" replacement mode may be not so bad idea.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

Op losses were toned down for training but still seem to be too high, especially with destroyed aircraft. Italian piots often start with 40-45 exp but still crashing planes like mad.
With an experience at this level I expect multiple damaged aircraft but not a lot of crashes. I'd expect crashes with pilots below 30.
Maybe one should factor-in crew size, an aircraft with a crew of >=4 should be considered as having two pilots which in turn should reduce training losses (unless you really have two noobs flying).
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Carterjon

Post by Carterjon »

Here is the loss report after 12 turns. No Axis or Allied air directives executed. Almost 1200 operational losses. perhaps it is all down to training?

Attachments
12292014..0059AM.jpg
12292014..0059AM.jpg (213.21 KiB) Viewed 25 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Almost 1200 operational losses. perhaps it is all down to training?

Did you switched off automatic naval patrols? Metric screens provide more detailed view on losses.
Pavel Zagzin
Carterjon

Post by Carterjon »

Yes, Naval Patrols always switched off. Attached is metric screen of training losses. The spike seems to come half way through the game after I set all Gruppen to Rest mode. If I understand the manual they are not supposed to be training in this case.

Attachments
12292014..1842AM.jpg
12292014..1842AM.jpg (208 KiB) Viewed 25 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Yes, code allows resting groups to fly training flights. As I can see it is done intentionally, but obviously it contradicts with manual. We will make it in sync by next patch (probably by fixing the code). For now you may modify doctrines to set lower train exp.
Pavel Zagzin

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”