Para trooper difficulties

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

wokelly

Para trooper difficulties

Post by wokelly »

I got paras ready to go to invade Mainland italy, but I cannot select enough planes even though I have manually stacked their airfields with transport units. Can someone explain what the issue is, I cannot find an answer in the manual but frankly I am not sure if I am looking in the correct chapters. The air transport units have been there for several turns.

Attachments
WHY.jpg
WHY.jpg (302.31 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Banquet

RE: Para trooper difficulties

Post by Banquet »

Transport planes not in range to drop point? (one of my mistakes!)
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

out of range it looks like if you going to mainland
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
wokelly

Post by wokelly »

I don't think it is range, I'm only going to the Toe of italy, the blue/purple (I'm color blind) circle indicates the plane should have enough range. Or does it show one way distance and not combat radius?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

You only have a single TR air group ready to drop them. Something is wrong with that.

Have you dropped other units already or have you used the transports to drop supply?

How far up the toe of Italy are you going?

But the problem at this time on that screen is you only have 24 transports ready to fly and they do not have the capacity to drop anything.
wokelly

Post by wokelly »

Had not dropped any units. Anyways it does seem to be a matter of range, giving the scenario another try with paras moving to Sicily prior to an invasion of the mainland, will see if I encounter the same problem.
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

I assume as long as the drop zone is within the Operational Range of the Transports there will be no range problems?

Also, looks like 8 hexes is the limit for para drops from the front lines, unless it is supporting in invasion (target hex must be adjacent to the invasion hex then), and then you can't drop until you launch the invasion. Is this all correct?
cmunson

Post by cmunson »

Yes, you are correct. I looked at the hex and it is pretty far up the toe so I suspect range and the 8 hex rule coming into play.
Chris

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”