Refit - how does it work best?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

vinnie71

Refit - how does it work best?

Post by vinnie71 »

Still playing as the Axis and am in May 1944.

The Axis get a lot of depleted units which need to be reinforced. However, I can't seem to make them reinforce themselves automatically. I've tried putting them on refit on depot hex and whatnot, but to no avail. Must be doing something wrong because until there were a few units to reinforce, there seemed to be no problem, but once a bunch of depleted divisions and SUs came in game, they are just sitting there (even SUs in OKW) without attracting any sort of reinforcement.

So what is the best way to reinforce such units?
ByTheNumbers

RE: Refit - how does it work best?

Post by ByTheNumbers »

I had this happen on a small scale in my current game. Had a stack of 3 divisions needing refitting and sent them to a port town to refit. I thought the port was close enough to the front lines, but after a few turns, no replacements were getting to any of them. I moved them directly behind where tons of freight were going to the front lines to a nearby depot. Then they started getting their replacements. That said, you might need to look at the path all your freight's going and pick another depot to use.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

On a Depot (ideally Type 4 NSS), set to a high supply priority and attached to a HQ also set to high priority with REFIT toggled on.

The big problem may be no equipment in the pools to provide the reinforcements. Too many units refitting will suck in all reinforcements and prevent anything getting to other units.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Thanks for the quick replies. However, the force pools are pretty well stocked (allies haven't landed in France as yet)but there seems to be no movement of stuff. I've also noticed that even placing them in hexes like Berlin, Frankfurt or Essen is useless. What it even weirder is that even SUs in OKW have not received anything in months. Its kind of strange really...
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Upload a save in Tech Support and I'll look.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Do you have eastern front enabled?
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

Do you have eastern front enabled?

Yes. Some of the most problematic units seem to be the ones coming from the Eastern Front actually.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Upload a save in Tech Support and I'll look.

How is it done? (Sorry I'm not fully conversant with IT

Thanks
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

On a Depot (ideally Type 4 NSS), set to a high supply priority and attached to a HQ also set to high priority with REFIT toggled on.

The big problem may be no equipment in the pools to provide the reinforcements. Too many units refitting will suck in all reinforcements and prevent anything getting to other units.

As detailed in case No. 2 with the attached saves:

tm.asp?m=3767850

the EF seems to get first call on all replacements, ahead of any SU or units on refit in the West, even if on a NSS.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

ORIGINAL: MechFO

tm.asp?m=3767850

the EF seems to get first call on all replacements, ahead of any SU or units on refit in the West, even if on a NSS.

Thanks for this. But how can one explain the fact that the pools are still full of stuff? Its really strange - and actually if I remember well, in the earlier part of the game when the Germans only had 2 divisions plus a brigade engaged, understrength units filled up rather slowly.
MechFO

Post by MechFO »

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

ORIGINAL: MechFO

tm.asp?m=3767850

Thanks for this. But how can one explain the fact that the pools are still full of stuff? Its really strange - and actually if I remember well, in the earlier part of the game when the Germans only had 2 divisions plus a brigade engaged, understrength units filled up rather slowly.

As Germans, manpower is the main limiting factor. All the equipment in the pools need manpower for them to be distributed to units.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”