SS Obergruppenfuhrer Walter Kruger

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rjs28023

SS Obergruppenfuhrer Walter Kruger

Post by rjs28023 »

This SS General needs to be added to the WITE and WITW database. Do not confuse him with Walter Kruger who commanded the LVIII Panzer Korps in Normandy and the Ardennes, and was a Wehrmacht officer.

I need this SS-Officer to command VI SS Latvian Korps in WITE and the same unit in the East Front Box in WITW.

Thanks,

Randy

Walter Krüger (SS general)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other people named Walter Krüger, see Walter Krüger (disambiguation).
Walter Krüger
Bundesarchiv Bild 101I-212-0212A-19, Russland, SS-Brigdeführer und Erich Hoepner.jpg
Krüger (left) with Colonel General Erich Hoepner in October 1941
Born 27 February 1890
Strasbourg
Died 22 May 1945 (aged 55)[a]
Lithuania
Allegiance Nazi Germany
Service/branch Waffen-SS
Rank SS-Obergruppenführer Collar Rank.svg Obergruppenführer
Commands held SS-PzGrenDiv "Das Reich"
VI. Waffen Armeekorps der SS
Battles/wars World War I
World War II
Awards Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
Walter Krüger (27 February 1890 – 22 May 1945[a]) was an SS-Obergruppenführer (Lieutenant General). He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords (German: Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern). The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves and Swords was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.

Contents [hide]
1 Career
2 Rank promotion
3 Awards
4 Notes
5 References
6 External links
Career[edit]
Born in Strasbourg, Alsace-Lorraine, German Empire (nowadays in France), Krüger was the son of an army officer and attended cadet school. As a young second lieutenant, he joined the 110th Fusilier Regiment during World War I. After World War I, he joined the Freikorps and fought in the Baltic region during 1919.

In 1933, when Adolf Hitler gained power, Krüger worked in the Reichswehr and Wehrmacht training department. In 1935, he joined the SS-Verfügungstruppe where he formed the SS-Standarte Germania. At the SS Officer's school at Bad Tölz, he served as an instructor. He earned the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross, after taking command of the SS Polizei Division which fought on the Leningrad front, Krüger himself taking place in the siege of the city itself.

Krüger became commander of the SS Division Das Reich in March 1943. After that, he went on to become the inspector general of all infantry troops of the Waffen-SS. He assumed command of the newly formed, voluntary, VI (Latvian) SS Corps.

On 22 May 1945[a], Krüger committed suicide in the Courland Pocket fourteen days after the surrender of Nazi Germany.

Rank promotion[edit]
April 30, 1935 – SS-Obersturmbannführer
January 30, 1939 – SS-Standartenführer
April 20, 1941 – SS-Brigadeführer and Generalmajor of Waffen-SS
January 30, 1942 – SS-Gruppenführer and Generalleutnant of Waffen-SS
June 21, 1944 – SS-Obergruppenführer and General of Waffen-SS
Awards[edit]
Iron Cross (1914), 1st and 2nd class
Knight's Cross Second Class of the Order of the Zähringer Lion with Swords (12 March 1915)
Knight's Cross of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern with Swords (24 June 1918)
Bavarian Military Merit Cross, 3rd Class
Wound Badge in Gold
Iron Cross (1939)
2nd Class (13 June 1940)[1]
1st Class (22 June 1940)[1]
Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
Knight's Cross on 13 December 1941 as SS-Brigadeführer and Generalmajor of the Waffen-SS and commander of the SS-Polizei-Division[2]
286th Oak Leaves on 31 August 1943 as SS-Gruppenführer and Generalleutnant of the Waffen-SS and commander of SS-Panzergrenadier-Division "Das Reich"[2]
120th Swords on 11 January 1945 as SS-Obergruppenführer and General of the Waffen-SS and commanding general of the VI. SS-Freiwilligen Armeekorps[2]
Sword of honour of the Reichsführer-SS
SS Honour Ring, ("Totenkopfring")
Notes[edit]
a Date of death is inconclusive. According to Florian Berger date of death is 20 May 1945, Walther-Per Fellgiebel states 8 May 1945 and Veit Scherzer presents the 22 May 1945.
Attachments
Obergruppe..r Kruger.jpg
Obergruppe..r Kruger.jpg (29.35 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Randy
morvael

RE: SS Obergruppenfuhrer Walter Kruger

Post by morvael »

This guy is in WitE under ID 110.
The other one (Wehrmacht general) is missing. He didn't command any corps on the East Front (only a division) so I don't think he has to be added.
rjs28023

Post by rjs28023 »

He assumed command of the newly formed, voluntary, VI (Latvian) SS Corps.

Yes, I see he is in WITE under Leader 110. This is the SS-Officer who commanded the VI SS (Latvian) Corps in the Vistula to Berlin Scenario.

I need him in WITW as well as he will be the assigned leader in the East Front Box of the VI SS (Latvian) Corps.

I just checked WITW, and it shows the data for the Obergruppenfuhrer, but the picture is for the Wehrmacht officer who is not in WITW, only his picture.

The Heer Officer assumed command of LVIII Panzer Corps on 10 February 1944. In WITW the Walter Kruger is an SS Officer commanding a non-SS LVIII Panzer Corps.

We need two Walter Kruger's in WITW. One a Wehrmacht officer commanding LVIII Panzer Corps, and the SS-Obergruppenfuhrer commanding the VI SS (Latvian) Corps in the East Front Box.
Randy
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

And now we all have seen the TRUE meaning of the word "Grognard".... [:D]

(not to mention Morvael's patience. [;)])
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Thank you, G-rex! Only now I need my dictionary to learn the ordinary meaning of Grognard & its etymology. Something to do with drinking cheap liquers?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I am not there YET...

But the more I play this game, the more this state of mind is coming.

BRB, wiping drool off the table and gotta refill on the $5 bourbon...
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

Just to save the younger unwashed among you the effort of researching the term...

GROGNARD = Originally a Napoleonic reference to the members of the "Old Guard" of Napoleon's La Grande Armee. Napoleon referred to them as his "grumblers" because, being experienced veterans, they had exacting ideas about how things should be done in battle and were vocal about it.

In more recent times it has come to be used to refer to "old school" wargamers, especially those wargamers who prefer games in which the minutest elements of the simulation are correct in all respects... thus the similarity to the "grumblers" when the details are not absolutely precise or sufficiently granular to satisfy Grognard sensibilities.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Rex - are you implying that if you know what Grognard means that you are one?
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Darn, I had a nice write up on both brothers and then the screen froze using this kindle unless I just messed up and touched something on the screen. Check out Mark C Yerger's two volume set on Waffen SS Commanders 1999 and both brothers bio's are on the first pages. Walters picture is on the cover and his section has photos from pages 24-41 most of them in the field and even one with General Hoth. It looks like he killed himself after being captured.

GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

ORIGINAL: carlkay58

Rex - are you implying that if you know what Grognard means that you are one?

Absolutely !
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Always amazed by info available here about issues of great import. Seems "Grognard" should be most senior rank for a player posted in this forum.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”