The Graf Spee's eagle.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orm

RE: The Graf Spee's eagle.

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Greyshaft

I view scuttling a warship as equivalent to resigning a wargame. You are acknowledging that the other side has the power/ability to win the battle regardless of your own skill and/or luck, and you just want to save time or lives. In some case (Honors of War granted during a seige) there is the caveat that the defenders would have made the attackers pay dearly, so you trade control of the battlefield in exchange for retreating with your army, but the final outcome is never in doubt.
Hear, hear.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

I don't understand why the guys who recovered the thing should only be paid enough to hardly cover their cost. They wouldn't have even bothered w/ it. They expect half at auction. If that ain't cool go get it urself then and give it away. Gesh.
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

I have no respect for that piece of crap and agree it'd be shameful for it to fall into some nazi enthusiast's hands unless the dope is willing to pay 25 millions for it.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: t001001001

I don't understand why the guys who recovered the thing should only be paid enough to hardly cover their cost. They wouldn't have even bothered w/ it. They expect half at auction. If that ain't cool go get it urself then and give it away. Gesh.
I am not sure that the guys who recovered it has the legal right to it.

As I understand it the British government has the legal rights to the wreck. So why should the British pay for something they already own? For something that might actually be considered plunder from the wreck? I suppose that Uruguay might have some claim as well but I see no reason that the ones recovering it should be considered the owners.

Cut from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cru ... #Scuttling
The salvage rights were purchased from the German Government by the British, for £14,000, using a Montevideo engineering company as a front.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Oh yes the great British navy. I'm thankful to this day that they defeated (single handed mind you) the worlds most irrelevant surface fleet who was less than 1/10th in size of just their very own Atlantic fleet. They used the same tactics to sweep away the Japanese in the pacific also.....errr wait[8|]
ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
ORIGINAL: warspite1
Hey kids - this is what happens when an 11-inch armed pocket battleship takes on one 8-inch and two 6-inch armed cruisers of the Royal Navy.

Noo....

This is what happens when a damaged pocket battleship gets scuttled. Those 6-inch popguns can't wreak this sort of havoc by themselves.

ETA: The Bismarck was scuttled. [:'(][;)]
warspite1

Hee hee - I was waiting for someone to comment [:D]

[Turns to face audience] For those, like CB, who don't know about war and grown up stuff an' s^&*, let me confirm:

- The Royal Navy force was out-ranged and out-gunned.
- However, Commodore Henry Harwood knew all he had to do was inflict enough damage on the Graf Spee to ensure that - one way or the other - she wasn't getting home.
- Sadly, because the German ship had a better reach, he knew any action was going to be painful for his force of British and Kiwis.
- But, in the finest traditions of the RN, he put himself and his ships in harms way to get the desired outcome.
- Having done that, there was no way home for Graf Spee.
- Langsdorff chose to scuttle his ship.
- Job Done.
[Sits back and takes a sip of the cup of tea that has just been served by his faithful manservant Geeves] [:)]

Re the Bismarck. [Assumes serious tone once more]
- Scuttled schmuttled. I actually had an online conversation with someone once that went something like this
- Because Bismarck scuttled herself, all the glory and honour of the battle went to the Germans and none to the British.
- After I managed to pick myself up from laughing so hard I almost cracked a rib, I politely pointed out that he was of course correct, after all:
- After Bismarck had scuttled herself, Hitler declared a national holiday and a two-day period of celebration to honour the fact that the
Kriegsmarine had won such a great and glorious victory. Bismarck of course was sunk, Operation Rheinubung (to get at the North Atlantic convoys) was
a total failure, 2,000 German sailors were dead and the battleship was lost to the German OOB forever..... but hey, no matter. The important thing was that the Bismarck's crew had scuttled her. [Visions of Hitler dancing through the corridors of the Reichkanzelei singing "Happy Days are here again la la la la la"]
- The fact that prior to this act, the RN had turned her into a totally useless burning hulk, totally beyond repair, seems to have been completely lost on the OP.... hey ho...

- Interesting that on that basis, the Battle of Midway was actually a glorious Japanese victory [;)][:D]

[/quote]
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Oh yes the great British navy. I'm thankful to this day that they defeated (single handed mind you) the worlds most irrelevant surface fleet who was less than 1/10th in size of just their very own Atlantic fleet. They used the same tactics to sweep away the Japanese in the pacific also.....errr wait[8|]
Hey kids - this is what happens when an 11-inch armed pocket battleship takes on one 8-inch and two 6-inch armed cruisers of the Royal Navy.

Noo....

This is what happens when a damaged pocket battleship gets scuttled. Those 6-inch popguns can't wreak this sort of havoc by themselves.

ETA: The Bismarck was scuttled. [:'(][;)]
warspite1

Hee hee - I was waiting for someone to comment [:D]

[Turns to face audience] For those, like CB, who don't know about war and grown up stuff an' s^&*, let me confirm:

- The Royal Navy force was out-ranged and out-gunned.
- However, Commodore Henry Harwood knew all he had to do was inflict enough damage on the Graf Spee to ensure that - one way or the other - she wasn't getting home.
- Sadly, because the German ship had a better reach, he knew any action was going to be painful for his force of British and Kiwis.
- But, in the finest traditions of the RN, he put himself and his ships in harms way to get the desired outcome.
- Having done that, there was no way home for Graf Spee.
- Langsdorff chose to scuttle his ship.
- Job Done.
[Sits back and takes a sip of the cup of tea that has just been served by his faithful manservant Geeves] [:)]

Re the Bismarck. [Assumes serious tone once more]
- Scuttled schmuttled. I actually had an online conversation with someone once that went something like this
- Because Bismarck scuttled herself, all the glory and honour of the battle went to the Germans and none to the British.
- After I managed to pick myself up from laughing so hard I almost cracked a rib, I politely pointed out that he was of course correct, after all:
- After Bismarck had scuttled herself, Hitler declared a national holiday and a two-day period of celebration to honour the fact that the
Kriegsmarine had won such a great and glorious victory. Bismarck of course was sunk, Operation Rheinubung (to get at the North Atlantic convoys) was
a total failure, 2,000 German sailors were dead and the battleship was lost to the German OOB forever..... but hey, no matter. The important thing was that the Bismarck's crew had scuttled her. [Visions of Hitler dancing through the corridors of the Reichkanzelei singing "Happy Days are here again la la la la la"]
- The fact that prior to this act, the RN had turned her into a totally useless burning hulk, totally beyond repair, seems to have been completely lost on the OP.... hey ho...

- Interesting that on that basis, the Battle of Midway was actually a glorious Japanese victory [;)][:D]

[/quote]warspite1

For the love of ..............[8|]

So you have been away from the forum for a while, only to return with the same old brand of anti-British rubbish as ever. No idea what that little childish outburst was all about... No wait, of course I do.

Listen we all know about your hang up - you have admitted it on more than one occasion - "you can never forgive the country that burned your capital" [>:]

That was over 200 years ago for goodness sake. Newsflash. Since that time we have become Allies, our peoples have fought and died together fighting for freedom and democracy. What happened in 1812 is over, understand?

The World's most irrelevant surface fleet? On what basis do you say that? Sure the surface vessels of the Kriegsmarine did little or nothing to effect the outcome of the war, but irrelevant? Maybe you would think differently if, instead of opining from your comfy 21st century home, you were aboard, and likely died, on HMS Hood (vs Bismarck) or the Rawalpindi (vs the Ugly Sisters) or the Jervis Bay (vs Admiral Hipper) etc etc facing those irrelevant ships. To take the last case alone, I'm sure had the captain of HMS Jervis Bay (Captain Fegen V.C) not sacrificed himself and his ship there would have been a whole lot more merchant sailors from convoy HX-84 that would have died at the hands of that irrelevant German cruiser.

Oh and by the way, what's with the Atlantic Fleet crap? Get your facts right - we didn't have an Atlantic Fleet [8|]

The thread is entitled Graf Spee's eagle. Who said or claimed anything to suggest other than the USN won the Pacific War at sea? If my comment re Midway was the reason for your ridiculous outburst perhaps you may care to read the post again, understand what was actually written and meant by the comment, and then eat a large slab of humble pie.

If your misguided idea on what I said re Midway wasn't the reason for your outburst (and I cannot see any other reference to the Pacific War) then you were simply trolling by claiming faux indignation at something that no one has claimed.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I love the British, if for nothing else, Sean Connery. I love mimicking his voice.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I love the British, if for nothing else, Sean Connery. I love mimicking his voice.
Warspite1

Glad to know we have our uses [;)]

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Finally a quote of yours I can get behind. +1. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Good point. I think that is one of my better opinions. More factually correct than most of the cobblers I come out with.... [:D]

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Good point. I think that is one of my better opinions. More factually correct than most of the cobblers I come out with.... [:D]
I beg to disagree. I've stated before that it is a joy to read the informed, well thought out posts that Warspite1 make. They are often fun to read as well. I thought the dot post was a bit dry and short but it did make a point. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

I beg to disagree. I've stated before that it is a joy to read the informed, well thought out posts that Warspite1 make. They are often fun to read as well. I thought the dot post was a bit dry and short but it did make a point. [:)]
warspite1

Upon reflection I think you may be right. There was little in the way of character development or plot outline. I shall post again below, but this time with a more considered post.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Orm

Post by Orm »

How droll. [:)]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Ok, at first I got the point. Now I am just confused [&:]

[:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

warspite1

I don't blame you Lecivius old chap. I am completely at a loss too [&:] So to get the thread back on track here is a nice picture of a most beautiful ship [:)]

Attachments
Achilles%2..n%201945.jpg
Achilles%2..n%201945.jpg (108.69 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

I don't blame you Lecivius old chap. I am completely at a loss too [&:] So to get the thread back on track here is a nice picture of a most beautiful ship [:)]

HMS Achilles?

(or is it HMNZS Achilles?)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

HMS Achilles?

(or is it HMNZS Achilles?)
warspite1

Indeed [:)]

HMS until 1st October 1941 (the Kiwis were a "division" of the RN until then)
HMNZS thereafter.

Return to “General Discussion”