Shock and Awe In Sicily

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderator: MOD_WarintheWest

wadortch

Shock and Awe In Sicily

Post by wadortch »

One shot AAR. Axis (me) surrendered immediately.

Attachments
SicilyInvasion.jpg
SicilyInvasion.jpg (222.86 KiB) Viewed 201 times
Walt
marion61

RE: Shock and Awe In Sicily

Post by marion61 »

You can get your axis units off Sicily by getting to a port and using transport, but you will lose a lot of troops if they have sea interdiction. On turn 2 you can severely cripple those landings near Messina with naval interdiction missions and you may be able to get away or slow him down. You get all those units back, but of course they will be green troops when they come back. You can make the WA player pay for invading that side of Sicily, just use your air power, but it will be expensive. It's not over till the "Fat Lady Sings"!
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Agreed, I would not surrender that one, make him pay! [8D]
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

I have gamed that situation out playing both sides many times. The Axis can make the Allies pay a lot for going out of their air cover. It will take six or eight turns to do it, but you could potentially demolish the landings. Siracusa is still a functioning port for you that is easy to maintain naval control of the supply line.

I will also note that in order to do that, the Allies had to not invade at all during turn one. When the Allies do not have all of the historical landings take place on turn 1, the Axis player has to realize this and plan to adjust their defenses to cover everywhere that you think the Allies may change to. The first order of business is to protect Messina - Reggio Colaberra (?). Considering this is probably your first time encountering this, you have just been given a valuable lesson for the future!
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Thanks for the great stay in and fight feedback.

As surmised, I am just getting into this magnificent game (been playing WITE since its release) and am just beginning to appreciate the importance of air-power among other things.

I have two other newbie questions at this point regarding this particular contest.

1) All axis units in Sicily began the turn in an isolated state even tho I still control a couple of ports (damaged heavily however). Is the isolated condition caused by the degree of damage to the ports?

2) The Herman Goring Division began the turn with 0 movement points. Why is that?

Thanks to all.
Walt
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

1) The units on Sicily can be isolated if all ports are at 100% damage or if the Allies have complete (i.e. Allied Naval Interdiction - Axis Naval Interdiction > 2) control of the seas around each port. This is possible if the Allied player knows how to do it properly.

2) Any division should have a minimum of 1 MP at the start of the turn. For motorized units the fuel supplies are very important. Check the fuel level in the unit. This may be a bug also.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Thanks Carlkay.

Have attached another screen shot which shows the interdiction levels and the state of supplies for the HG Div. Port damage for Palermo is 62% for Sciacca 75% and Siracusa 70%.

Attachments
Sicily_w_i..rdection.jpg
Sicily_w_i..rdection.jpg (285.43 KiB) Viewed 191 times
Walt
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Just from those interdiction numbers I would say that you could easily isolate his amphibs or the AI's amphibs. You can move some airgroups from other places in western europe and gain sea interdiction since they are very close to your air coverage now.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hello
Am wondering if there is a supply bug here (previous screenshot of HG XX with MP=0?
Here's another shot and another unit in the same area starting the Axis move with 0 MP.

Attachments
Sicilian_Bug.jpg
Sicilian_Bug.jpg (154.22 KiB) Viewed 195 times
Walt

Return to “After Action Reports”