Streamline retrofit please.

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

aaatoysandmore

Streamline retrofit please.

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Can't we have a more streamlined retrofitting feature? How about some type of ship that brings ALL the necessary equipment TO the ships in space or in wars? It could be some kind of freight class even the the ai could play as and make a profit from delivering the goods in space? This having to go back to a base or starport for every retrofit is silly ridiculous. I tech up so fast I spend too much of the game in starports retrofitting. Just make it more streamlined if you can please. Thank you. I'll be expecting it by Christmas. [:D]
MatBailie

RE: Streamline retrofit please.

Post by MatBailie »

And the concept of needing a Construction Yard in order to refit a space ship with new gear?

Adding armour out in the field, maybe. Replacing the engines, certainly not.

In my personal (but not as humble as it should be) opinion; one of the Good things about 4X games is the constraints around which we need to work; it gives rise to the need and benefits of planning and compromise, rather than being a strange shoot 'em up.
Desktop: Intel i5 12400F 4.0GHz, 32GB RAM, AMD RX 6700 XT 12GB
Laptop: Intel i7 10750H 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1660 Ti MaxQ 6GB

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left." Bertrand Russell
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You may have given me a great idea. Gonna go see if it works. Looks like I might can take a carrier or resupply ship an add a construction yard to it or replace some items in them to add a construction yard and be able to refit my ships in space... thanks man. [:)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Construction Yards allow construction of new ships and bases. They also provide facilities for repair and retrofit of existing ships and bases. Just have to increase the sizes of contruction yards and cargo bays for fighter ships on a construction ship in space. Woohoo I think this is gonna work. [:)]
feygan

Post by feygan »

Of course you are assuming that each and every ship part is the exact same size/shape/mass as the previous one being replaced, in addition you are assuming that these new ship parts happily work with the old ships power systems, and all the crew are exactly the same. Obviously this list can easily go on and on, but it gives you a rough idea of why you need to drag a ship back to a large well equipped shipyard to do something like a refit. Be grateful that DW imposes very little restrictions on refits, as it stands now you could do the equivalent of dumping an old Nimitz class carrier into dry dock, and a couple of months later out comes a shiny Ford class. Most 4x games will slam you with a percentage limit on your refit costs.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Yeah it didn't work but it does say I can send a carrier class type ship out with Plants and repair ships in space. I wonder why I can't build them too. I mean just a show like Independence Day shows that it's possible. I just want it more streamlined as I'm going back to docks more than waging war or exploring space. Seems like every few minutes I'm getting an upgrade. I guess I'll change teching up higher in the next game. I notice in the setup screen there's a feature that starts at 500 and looks like it can go up in the tech portion of the setup. I already am using long tech times but I'm still teching up too fast and that's with "humans" imagine if I were playing the Securans or those other guys.

When I checked the properties of a dock or port it basically showed me nothing that preforms as a ship yard can move in space. It told me to remove my engines I tried to put on it to get it to move. lol I even went into the editor hoping I could change some things but nogo that thing is useless all it allows you to do is make more ships and place them somewhere anywhere.

Also in the cyclopedia it says one needs 3 plants (one of each type) vs 1 construction yard, yet when I check the properties of a LARGE space port or dock they only had 4 plants of each type and 12 construction yards. I think they misprinted the calculation in one of those equations. as with 12 yards the port or dock should have 36 total plants not 4 or each. It would seem like you need 1 plant set per 3 yards. Or maybe it just means you need 1 plant type for each yard you build. That would make more sense. Or maybe I just read it wrong in the first place but anywho what I wanted to work didn't work.

But, I did discover something interesting. When I setup a carrier like a dock or port I could build like a colony but it defalted to the nearest colony anyways but I wonder if I could have it building something and the colony too. I didn't try that. That'd be kewl. Build a defense base while building a port at the same time. I wonder if anyone ever tried that before. The carrier restricts me with having to have 40% fighter bays, gonna try it with a refueling ship next.

What's really been kewl is I built a few carriers with that Death Ray and between that and the fighters it already has it's a laugh watching ships go down from it. I'm thinking about making a glass cannon ship. Nothing but as many death rays as I can put on it and a few shields and targeting and oh maybe....well, we'll see what I can build. I'm almost up to max size ships so this should be fun.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”