My First Game

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Dr. Foo

My First Game

Post by Dr. Foo »

Well...I do like this game a lot. I still have a lot to learn but it was fun. I watched the videos and then took over after the landings.

Here are my results...Stalemate!

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
MisterBoats

RE: My First Game

Post by MisterBoats »

Something looks off in the screenshot -- how many divisions did you land in Sicily? By the end of that scenario, I always have quite a few combat and support units on the island, as well as the HQ's. Did you leave units in Africa? I made the mistake (in several scenarios) of not getting everyone moved up to the front (or nearby) ASAP. Nearly three weeks after the release, I am beginning to feel halfway competent in running all of the aspects of WITW. I haven't minded re-starting scenarios one bit.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Hi MisterBoats. The screen shot does not reflect all the units on the island. Maybe FOW? I landed everyone except for the leftover para regiments that didn't have the prep points, they would not airdrop and I didn't bother with transporting them by boat but next time I think I will.

Can they be transported airfield to airfield without dropping?
Nico165b165

Post by Nico165b165 »

That's a small problem in the scenarios ending : if you play WA, your victory screen appears on the axis turn and what you see is what the axis sees.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

Losses are so out of whack. I realize the idea is not completely historical. But here the Allies lost twice as many as historical while the Axis lost almost three times less.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I did have some transports sunk so that might be some of it...the rest is my awful planning! [:D]
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

I forgot that that was a victory screen -- my mistake. In "Husky" I think I had a few draws over the course of several scenarios. If the Germans want to hold it, it can be a very hard nut to crack. I have seen them abandon it entirely, early.

In the grand campaign I invaded Sicily with just the 7th Army and captured all of Sicily by mid-August. The British forces landed on the boot heel of Italy (from the Adriatic) and very quickly held a line from outside taranto, northeast to the coast. Now, in October, the line is from Naples to Foggia. A U.S. amphibious landing north of Bari dislocated the entire German line, and they evacuated the "toe" as well.

Transport losses have been very heavy, though. I try my best to keep the naval interdiction high in my favor, but a few planes and/or U-boats get through every turn. I need to work on that.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I started a new game. Lots of transport losses and British Para Regiment aborted after heavy losses! Talk about bad luck! This is only the end of Turn 1! Good game, a lot less predicable than I imagined.

Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Remember that 25000 of those losses are already there for the Allies at the start. They are reduced by about 2k during the scenario, so figure that there are 18,000 killed/captured/disabled for the Allies. This does not include more lightly wounded casualties. Since historical total casualties were about 25k, I think we're in the ball park. Where we're light is with the light Italian losses (they must have run away faster than you could capture them).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings

Remember that 25000 of those losses are already there for the Allies at the start. They are reduced by about 2k during the scenario, so figure that there are 18,000 killed/captured/disabled for the Allies. This does not include more lightly wounded casualties. Since historical total casualties were about 25k, I think we're in the ball park. Where we're light is with the light Italian losses (they must have run away faster than you could capture them).
rBoats)
Report | Post

I always forget about those replacement 'losses' when the game first starts up.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”