pilot leader ratings

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Alfred

RE: pilot leader ratings

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: alimentary

I value your the information that you contribute to this forum, Alfred, and am impressed by its accuracy. Nor do I know of any factual error that you have made in this thread. However, I cannot see that the points you make above support the position that I thought you were arguing for: That a prospective leader's flying skills are never relevant when selecting a new leader for a squadron. Possibly I have misunderstood and the point you are trying to make is narrower -- that only an individual's leader skills are relevant for determining the effects of that individual on the squadron in his leadership role.

Their pilot skills are not relevant for their performance as the unit leader. I have been consistent in stating this. Furthermore see my next answer.

1. Given a choice of two leaders, both of whom are also pilots and whose leader stats are identical, it seems clear that, at least as a tie-breaker, one would wish to select the one with the better flying skills. Accordingly, flying skills would appear to be relevant to leader selection in such a situation.

How do you even know their pilot stats to use as a tie breaker. Go to the unit screen. Click on the leader. the leader database is brought up. There are no, repeat no pilot stats displayed on the screen. In the extremely rare situation where you find two or more potential leaders on the leader database with exactly the same leader ratings, you simply cannot use as a tie breaker their pilot stats as they are not disclosed. You can choose as your tie breaker alphabetical surname order, or name with most Christian name initials, or surname with fewest/most letters, or ethnic origin of surname or rank held, or whether they will be part of the minority in the leader database who also happen to be flying pilots, because that information is provided. But their pilot stats are not disclosed on that screen.

2. If the Pilot Management Addendum is to be believed, there is one situation in which the leader's pilot skills apply in what one might term their "leadership" role.

e.g. "2. if the pilot’s experience is less 50 (plus pilot’s missions and kills) and less than the leader's skill"

My reading of the above passage is that the relevant skill is the one in which the leader's group is currently training.

However, it is perhaps more plausible that this passage refers to the leader's Leadership skill since that skill would be guaranteed to exist and be directly associated with the leader as opposed to being associated with leader's pilot alter-ego.

[I have difficulty deciding whether a pilot's missions and kills are supposed to make him more trainable or less. My assumption has been that they make the pilot less trainable, but the most natural reading of the above passage indicates the opposite. If you have any insight, it would be welcome]

Three points.

Firstly, the pilot addendum was generated at a time when dedicated training groups were in existence. Whilst the addendum remains indispensable to understanding properly the issue, it has to read bearing in mind that dedicated training groups are no longer in existence.

Secondly, the part you referenced deals with units which are not training. It is a unit with a combat mission and the referenced skill is that relevant for carrying out that particular mission.

Thirdly, it is somewhat imprecise language. It is not really the leaders "skill" but his leader ratings which are used. Take a bomber unit which is tasked with airfield attack. There is no such precisely worded pilot skill. However when the mission is undertaken, the pilot skills which may be improved are "ground attack" (if the mission was flown above 6k) or "low ground attack" plus "strafing" if flown at 1k. Referencing it back to the leader, you will find that the leader's "land rating" [please see edit at bottom of this post] is what was meant. Remember that the commander has ratings in "fewer" areas than do pilots.

3. This thread is (I thought) about what attributes contribute to determine which leader is the best chosen to replace the current leader. As indicated in (1) above, the leader's flying skills can factor into that decision. Albeit rarely and not strongly.

As answered in point 1 above, which I repeat, they are not disclosed when the selection screen is opened. Which is why my first post in this thread, and consistently repeated subsequently, I stated that the OP concern was irrelevant. The OP was trying to determine the criteria to apply to selecting his air unit leaders.

4. If the leader is also a squadron member, his flying skills determine how his plane performs when he flies it. This averages into the group performance, of course.

And what if he isn't flying that particular day when the unit undertakes its mission. If his leader ratings are poor that will impact on the units performance irrespective of whether he did or did not fly that day.

5. Agreed. For non-flying leaders, their (non-existent) flying skills are irrelevant.

Which are the majority of the available leaders on the leader database.

6. Agreed.

7a. No argument

7b. Agreed.

8. This is a cherry-picked example. One cannot prove a universal statement with an example. One can only disprove a universal statement with an example.

Of course it is a cherry picked example; chosen to drive home the point. A single example can however provide the context of a universal statement of how game mechanics operate. Which is what the point was.

Again, I'm not trying to be an idiot or a jerk. Just trying to figure out what the argument is about.

Alfred

Edit. In drafting this reply I had initially written "air rating" in answer to point 2 above but changed it to "land rating". prior to posting In going through a foresenic exercise today in answering another leader thread in the War Room, it is clear that the better view is the original "air rating" is the more likely to be affected. This all goes to show how difficult it is to quantify the exact relationship between the seven leader ratings. It does not alter one iota the points I have made consistently in this thread. For those interested, todays relevant other thread is:

tm.asp?m=3765307
alimentary

Post by alimentary »

Thank you, Alfred. I'll be quiet now.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Some friendly, practical advice. If you have an excellent operational leader with good pilot skills, set them to reserve. You can always find more fodder but good leaders are very valuable...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
Malagant

Post by Malagant »

As a new-comer to the game and forum, it sure would be nice if there were less pedantic know-it-all-ism to wade through to find the valuable information contained here.

I'm frankly afraid to ask questions because I don't want someone to tell me that my question is not relevant and pointles.

I've run in to this problem in my first PBEM game...somehow having a great fighter pilot assigned in the active roster of the bomber squadron he's leading. This is still the first week of the war, so I'm not exactly awash in trained pilots, and have to make the decision on whether to keep him or replace him in the roster with someone that is lower experience than the commander, but who won't result in the commander getting killed.

Thanks for all the great info, everyone! Sure would be nice if it weren't wrapped in such snarky packages!

"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Just replace the leader of the squadron by another (just select a non flying leader, no * behind the name in the leader selection section). Your pilot will go back into the leader pool but I'm not 100% sure you will be able to select him as a regular fighter pilot.

For clarity sake, here is my advice: If its a good leader, let him lead (set to reserve). If he's a terrible leader replace or let him die...

Attachments
Check.jpg
Check.jpg (138.77 KiB) Viewed 160 times
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

For clarity sake, here is my advice: If its a good leader, let him lead (set to reserve). If he's a terrible leader replace or let him die...

A suggestion I both like and can live with.[;)]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: alimentary

Thank you, Alfred. I'll be quiet now.

It isn't a question of being quiet. Thoughtful articulated positions on any aspect of AE, which are based on what the game is, rather than what an individual fantasises it should be or operates, deserve reciprocity.

You should read the edit I made today and the linked thread I gave. Leadership is arguably the most opaque element of AE. Those with access to the code have always been vague on the few occasions they have participated in discussing the issue. Far too often players sweat on minutiae which is just not useful in a practical sense. All that those individuals are doing is unnecessarily over complicating AE, as if the game isn't complicated enough already.

One of the best answers ever given by a dev regarding the choice of leaders, came from Symon who IIRC once just boiled it down to

if it is a LCU, employ a leader with a high land rating
if an air combat TF, a high air rating, otherwise for any other combat TF, a high naval rating
if an air unit, a high air rating

Obviously there is more to it than just that, but this will probably suffice in 95% of cases.

Alfred
Symon

Post by Symon »

Alfred has it right. The game has devolved into twinky/winky/wonky attempts at gaming the system, so as to maximize one’s side’s advantage without regard to reality. One must ignore the “must” posts in the forum, in this particular regard.

It works like this. You have leaders (Leaders file in the database) and you have pilots (Pilots file in the database). In the Leaders file there is a field for “Type” and “06-Air Unit” is a type. Leaders of one “Type” cannot be Leaders of another “Type”.

If a person is listed (Air only) in both the Leader file and Pilot file, there is a field in the Pilot file that lets one designate the pilot as also a leader; it asks for the Leader file slot number of the individual, so that the individual may have two sets of stats – leader stats, and pilot stats.

Most Air unit leaders are not ‘also’ pilots. Many famous ones are, but by and large, not.

The air combat model is divided into two parts – the coordination, mission briefing, administrative availability, i.e., mission functionality and effectivity – and the tactical aspects of airplane v airplane, ship, ground, whatever. Unit leader’s stats affect the first. Pilot, and pilot only, stats affect the second.

If one finds a poop-hot pilot who is also a poop-hot leader (and there ain’t that many), by all means go for it. IRL, squadron/sentai/kokutai commanders flew. The ‘leader’ thing is just a game abstraction. One must live with it.

This is a game. It’s not a simulation, although it can be used as such, if one is intellectually inclined to do so.

Hope this helps. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

An excellent discussion on an important topic.

Alfred - Crystal Clear.

JWE - an outstanding summation of the whole concept - delivered graciously in terms that even I can understand.

My understanding and comprehension of the basics and factors pertaining to air unit leadership and pilot air combat values have increased 100 percent because of this (and the attached) threads.

My thanks to all of you -

Merry Christmas.

Mac

LAV-25 2147
Symon

Post by Symon »

Hi Mac, and thanks.

Wonder why it is that whenever a developer responds to a question all the little cockroaches run for cover and the thread is curiously silent thereafter. And then come out in a few weeks/months and repeat their silly pronunciamento, as though nothing ever happened.

Apparently, the forum is not interested in 'what is', just in how they might want it to be, and that differs for every individual.

It's obviously a useless exercise, because they are fat, smelly, 12 year olds, that can't learn unless someone gets their attention. So apart from just shooting them (a general improvement to the gene pool) it might be best to ignore them.
Yippy Ki Yay.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Symon

Hi Mac, and thanks.

Wonder why it is that whenever a developer responds to a question all the little cockroaches run for cover and the thread is curiously silent thereafter. And then come out in a few weeks/months and repeat their silly pronunciamento, as though nothing ever happened.

Apparently, the forum is not interested in 'what is', just in how they might want it to be, and that differs for every individual.

It's obviously a useless exercise, because they are fat, smelly, 12 year olds, that can't learn unless someone gets their attention. So apart from just shooting them (a general improvement to the gene pool) it might be best to ignore them.
warspite1

Thanks for the usual ridiculous diatribe [>:]

Cockroaches? fat smelly 12-year olds? (How old are you?). Oh and by the way, you forgot to call them Euro Nazis [8|]

Shooting them? You are a very strange individual.

By the way, still waiting for you to apologise to me for misquoting me the other day.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Hi Mac, and thanks.

John, there is no need to go insulting people. What I see most are people trying to help others climb the learning cliff. Sometimes they get details wrong.

In the last week it turned out I had something wrong. When my memory was challenged, I had the opportunity to go and look at the code, which most people don't have (of course) and correct myself. Nobody is infallible.

Attacking people who might have something wrong from time to time only discourages people from trying to help which ultimately is a bad thing IMO. One of the reasons this forum has the heaviest traffic on Matrix's site is the level of help people offer here. If someone does get something wrong, they are often corrected in subsequent posts, so no real harm done.

Anyway, we're talking about a game here. If an air traffic controller or a surgeon get something wrong, there are serious real world consequences. It might be a bummer if you go off with the wrong information in the game and get a bunch of electronic people killed, but in the long run, they don't really care and nobody has suffered anything more than a bit of frustration (and maybe a slight acceleration in their oncoming baldness).

Peace.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

(and maybe a slight acceleration in their oncoming baldness).

Bill

Like that?

:-)

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (259.78 KiB) Viewed 165 times
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Bill , I'd just like to say that I've been absolutely grateful since you became our moderator. We can always count on you to help, mediate, moderate , elucidate , educate and in general ALWAYS restore a sense of goodwill to the forum. Thank you very much for being here.

Alfred and JWE , please understand. We think that you are two of the most knowledgeable, gifted , and wonderful assets this forum has. Please understand, some of us are NOT as talented , gifted , brilliant or insightful as you both are. Quite often it's not that we didn't bother looking it up, but frequently don't understand or "see it". I'm sure for you both it must be like a couple of PHD's teaching 3rd graders. It can't be easy for you. But we're not acting out of disrespect , laziness or meanness. Frequently we just don't see , or get the post or entry in the manual.

I'm not completely stupid , and I used to earn my living doing various kinds of research. But I'm older, not as computer savy as many , have recently found my self to have extremely rapidly deteriorating eyesight. I'm pretty sure that other , like myself , have on occasion not seen or understood the manual , and asked a question. I know I probably will again.

I know you both get frustrated. If you feel the question poser hasn't done enough research , then please DON'T answer the question. Either they'll find it , or someone with a great deal less ability or talent than you will. Just answer the questions you DEEM worthy of yourselves. Don't get upset or waste your time. Save yourselves for "BIG' stuff. Let the lessor talent answer a few.

Bill, Alfred , and JWE again please accept our gratitude. You guys are the best! [&o] [&o][&o][&o][&o]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

There is the saying, "don't sweat the small stuff. And most of it is small stuff."

My SO counsels domestic violence perpetrators as a side gig. (She actually enjoys it.) One of the points she makes: "is this the molehill you want to die on?" Many times if you step back from something that initially seems so life and death, it really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things. Kicking around ideas can be entertaining, but if you don't identify with them, when they are challenged or even invalidated, it's more of an "eh" reaction than something to get all worked up about.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

The forum is the heart beat of the game.[&o]

Behold!! the book.

source of more mystery than the Nile. [:D]
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (94.59 KiB) Viewed 165 times
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

Please treat the translators of the book with respect and proper doses of awe.

Attachments
art3.jpg
art3.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 166 times
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

The forum is the heart beat of the game.[&o]

Behold!! the book.

source of more mystery than the Nile. [:D]

That manual looks to be in even worse condition than mine.

Alfred
Symon

Post by Symon »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
Bill , I'd just like to say that I've been absolutely grateful since you became our moderator. We can always count on you to help, mediate, moderate , elucidate , educate and in general ALWAYS restore a sense of goodwill to the forum. Thank you very much for being here.
<snip>
Alfred and JWE , please understand.
Steve, I do understand. This is simply a computer wargame. It is not the world. The world should be addressed elsewhere. I was remis and deserve your slap. To those offended by my comments, I sincerely appologize. They were motivated more by contemporary events, and had nothing to do with the AE game.

Ciao. JWE
Yippy Ki Yay.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve
<snip>
Alfred and JWE , please understand.
Steve, I do understand. This is simply a computer wargame. It is not the world. The world should be addressed elsewhere. I was remis and deserve your slap. To those offended by my comments, I sincerely appologize. They were motivated more by contemporary events, and had nothing to do with the AE game.

Ciao. JWE

That was most definitely not a slap. If you saw that as such , please , please accept my apologies! We owe all of you folks so much, I couldn't ever justify a slap. I'm sorry about current annoyances/difficulties and I hope they quickly resolve themselves. No I mean that we really don't show our appreciation to you "forum guru's" enough. And I understand if you guys feel like your "dumbing yourselves down" in dealing with some of our questions. I know for my self , on many occasions I've read the answer in the manual again and again without the meaning , or answer setting in. It's not that I don't RTFM , it's that I don't necessarily absorb or comprehend what it's saying. TECH writing is something you guys can read like most of us read a newspaper. But for many of us , it's sandskirt. In fact ancient Sandskrit. [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”