How about some "(fill in th blank) for dummies" tutorials.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

JWW

How about some "(fill in th blank) for dummies" tutorials.

Post by JWW »

Now I've had the game for less than 24 hours, so take what I write from that perspective. And I'm not being critical of anyone. Just making a suggestion. I read the player's handbook. Well done. Concise. I did the tutorial videos and played along with them. Well done. There is also a one-hour long video on youtube that is a walkthrough of the first four turns of the tutorial Operation Husky scenario. It is very good. Just go to youtube and search for War in the West and you will find it. This was done just before release. It was very helpful. I'm reading the forum. I've looked through some of the AARs. There is a lot of helpful material here. I think I have a general idea about the game and plan on finishing the tutorial Husky scenario on my own this evening. I stopped my own game at the end of the tutorial videos. I also have played WITE, and that helps a great deal.

But I think it would be nice to have some "X for dummies" tutorials or AARs that take you in even more detail through some of the things in the game. Something like "amphibious invasion for dummies." Etc. We dummies would really appreciate this. Either something written or a series of videos showing some of the same things that are shown in the initial tutorial videos but for situations that are not already pre-planned, since the invasion and airborne drops in Husky are already set when you start.

Again I appreciate all that has been done. I appreciate tha great game. But even more in the way of aids and guides would be helpful to ease players into the game.
marion61

RE: How about some "(fill in th blank) for dummies" tutorials.

Post by marion61 »

tm.asp?m=3724100

This AAR shows alternate landing sites as I don't play conventionally. I'm no expert by any means, but I'll share what I've learned.

First, as the WA's your amphib hq's are your most important tool (besides the air force). You can use your amphibs to maneuver behind or around good defensive positions in Italy which there are plenty of (The less you have to fight, the more you save on victory points from casualties). On turn one I normally don't invade anywhere and retarget all my amphibs. The main concern is making sure you have air cover for your landings. You should check your sea interdiction levels before every air phase because you will want to create several air directives for naval interdiction to make sure you control the seas and get supplies. Invading outside of air cover against a human is way too risky because you can't afford to have an invasion thrown back into the sea in Italy. I set Strategic AF, Tactical, and Coastal AF's to do naval patrols in my landing areas on turn one to get sea control for next turn. Use your tactical af and strategic af in the med to destroy as many planes on Sicily and the toe of Italy. You will also want to have your air do interdiction on the toe of Italy and hit messina and reggio's ports and that ferry. I check the load outs of all my strike craft and make sure they have drop tanks along with bombs if the load out permits. Also you may want to switch some of your fighters in tactical af to bomber even if they aren't trained as bombers. You have a lot of fighters and not that many strike aircraft so you can afford to switch some of these groups. Cancel your regimental air drops for turn one and combine the airborne divisions back. I don't like to split a division in an air drop and that is because only an airborne division can retreat if they have a hex to retreat to. Regiments and brigades surrender and don't retreat. Use your airborne divisions and that one Sep. Airborne regiment to cover your landings. These are just some ideas, and things that have worked for me, I hope this helps.

If you do the historical landings just adjust where your naval interdiction is, because I've destroyed the American beaches before by taking sea control around Gela. You really don't want an invasion to become isolated. Don't hesitate to ask questions.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

I still hope that someone will play a campaign and show it on youtube.com, so I and many others can learn by watching. Sometimes things are much easier to understand while watching a video than reading. I know it demands a lot of time, but it is allowed to have wishes, right [:)]
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Yes you are! I'm just not tech savey enough to do that for you.[:(]
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Neither am I but I wish I was. My youngest son says he can show me how to do it - we have the HD camera and equipment, all I need is the knowledge.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”