Artillery Bde

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Chris21wen

Artillery Bde

Post by Chris21wen »

I'm assuming that on-map artillery units need to be selected to be take part in any deliberate attack, which unlike artillery support will be added depending upon die roll.

Do Art Bde need to be attached to the same Army without any penalty or can they be attached to the Front or even STAVKA without penalty?
loki100

RE: Artillery Bde

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

I'm assuming that on-map artillery units need to be selected to be take part in any deliberate attack, which unlike artillery support will be added depending upon die roll.

Do Art Bde need to be attached to the same Army without any penalty or can they be attached to the Front or even STAVKA without penalty?

they do get a penalty if attached to the 'wrong' army or front but its not critical. Their value is the guarenteed involvement in a combat and that they don't take up a support unit slot in action.

personally, I'd only build a few. They can be useful at adding some more heavy guns to a key battle (not least for reducing fort levels) but won't easily provide the massed artillery you can obtain from divisions. Having said that, there are some (older) AARs where people seem to have managed quite a lot of value out of them but equally built a lot - so I guess it depends on your admin pt and arm pt position in the period late winter-early autumn 1942?
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: loki100

they do get a penalty if attached to the 'wrong' army or front but its not critical. Their value is the guarenteed involvement in a combat and that they don't take up a support unit slot in action.

personally, I'd only build a few. They can be useful at adding some more heavy guns to a key battle (not least for reducing fort levels) but won't easily provide the massed artillery you can obtain from divisions. Having said that, there are some (older) AARs where people seem to have managed quite a lot of value out of them but equally built a lot - so I guess it depends on your admin pt and arm pt position in the period late winter-early autumn 1942?

Thanks
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: loki100

Thanks

forgot to add, when artillery divisions unlock you cannot combine your brigades so you either keep them as brigades or scrap them and recycle the guns ... so that may well determine how much you want to invest in the brigades as they are relatively short term in their value
morvael

Post by morvael »

I think they will suffer in effectiveness when attached to Stavka and far away from it, due to modifiers introduced in 1.07.12. With bad leader rolls they will not fire as good as when attached to a "normal" HQ. CV penalty can be ignored, but leader roll penalties not so much.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”