Soviet AT Brigades--Why?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

PhilThomas

Soviet AT Brigades--Why?

Post by PhilThomas »

WTF is the point of these pieces even existing? I always disband them in 1941 games, but I just started the 44 Campaign scenario and the damn things are everywhere. Is there some way to make them useful on the offensive?
"Everybody knows the war is over. Everybody knows the good guys lost."
--Leonard Cohen
Gabriel B.

RE: Soviet AT Brigades--Why?

Post by Gabriel B. »

In 1941 I use them as front HQ bodyguards.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

But if you play with that house rule, (no HQ bombing unless it's stacked with a unit).......

I disband them in 41 myself.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
amatteucci

Post by amatteucci »

ORIGINAL: willteachforfood
Is there some way to make them useful on the offensive?
Since they were intended as defensive formations it's no wonder that they are not that useful on the offensive.

Probably, in WitE 2.0, they will be represented as dual mode units (i.e. SU/on map) so they might prove marginally more useful.

When not using them to plug holes in a crumbling line (with scarce results), especially in the first 1941 moves, I keep them in the rear with a reserve order. But I do this mainly because I don't like to start right away disbanding just out of 20/20 hindsight, I had never found them very useful. I only hope they can take a toll on advancing Panzers before being routed! But never observed a full combat at level 7 detail just to find out if this is true... [:D]
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

The AT brigade was a staple of the original board game. They would normally be stacked with a fort and infantry unit. In this version because of AP costs they aren't worth building. Not much evidence showing they kill many tanks either.
randallw

Post by randallw »

In one history book it describes them as having an original plan of being fully motorized, with a lot more AT guns ( some number over 100 in each brigade ).
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Those units would be interesting if stacking would allow 3 units + 1 more if it is a brigade or regiment size.

Michel.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
morvael

Post by morvael »

Best would be to have an option to convert smaller on-map units to support units and back... Wait, WitW has that option, so WitE 2.0 will have it as well [:)]
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

You still pay 3 ap to build the component regiments thou [:D]

Return to “The War Room”