Flashpoint Campaigns - Meta Campaign

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Tazak

RE: Flashpoint Campaigns - Meta Campaign

Post by Tazak »

This is what I'm planning, gives room for manoeuvre and forces coordination between groups lest 1 force gets flanks or cut off

Attachments
Battlemap.jpg
Battlemap.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 99 times
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

This all sounds really interesting. I have some code I can turn on sometime soon that will make all this much easier for you all. We had a concept at one time called "quick battles" that would let you save your force at any time during a game (even at the very beginning) into a special 'depot' file. It would contain just your core forces for just your side. The scenario editor could load these files and bump out the core forces already there for that side so that you could create a new scenario that carried on with your forces plus or minus what you then added in the rest of the scenario edit process. This might really help with what you are doing here.

We are working hard on Southern Storm now but with a little luck I can take a few hours to get this code working again. I need to look it over and compare it to what your requirements seem to be. At first look though I think it would help!

I'm following this project with keen anticipation of good things to come.

Cheers, Rob
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: RobertCrandall

I have some code I can turn on sometime soon that will make all this much easier for you all. We had a concept at one time called "quick battles" that would let you save your force at any time during a game (even at the very beginning) into a special 'depot' file. It would contain just your core forces for just your side. The scenario editor could load these files and bump out the core forces already there for that side so that you could create a new scenario that carried on with your forces plus or minus what you then added in the rest of the scenario edit process. This might really help with what you are doing here.
So basically a dump file of the current core force that could then be imported into a new scenario file?

If so, that would really help at least in my case because right now I have a base template file that I have created for each player with their core force in it for the campaign. After each mission, when its time to build the follow on scenario for each player I copy their template for that new scenario to a new file. Then I manually edit each of their units to match the results from the last completed scenario since they are at full strength and undamaged in the template. Then I manually edit in their requested/allowed repairs and replacements and build out the rest of the new mission. If the force could be ported over, I would only need to do the repair/replace update to the scenario file and not worry as much about tracking the between battle damage and adjusting it between files since its carried over and probably a lot more accurate.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

OK, found the first BIG flaw with the campaign rules I worked up. The repair/replacement points system is way out of whack. Units being almost obliterated can pretty much earn enough points to be able to completely refit in time for the next scenario/mission. Working up the new numbers and I believe I will be tripling repair, replacement point costs for this next mission and we'll see how it works out.
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Yes, the player's units are taken just as they are at the instant the depot file is saved and then brought back into the new scenario via the scenario editor. I'm looking at bringing it directly back into a scenario without going through the scenario editor too but no promises yet.

Thanks, Rob

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

I have some code I can turn on sometime soon that will make all this much easier for you all. We had a concept at one time called "quick battles" that would let you save your force at any time during a game (even at the very beginning) into a special 'depot' file. It would contain just your core forces for just your side. The scenario editor could load these files and bump out the core forces already there for that side so that you could create a new scenario that carried on with your forces plus or minus what you then added in the rest of the scenario edit process. This might really help with what you are doing here.
So basically a dump file of the current core force that could then be imported into a new scenario file?

If so, that would really help at least in my case because right now I have a base template file that I have created for each player with their core force in it for the campaign. After each mission, when its time to build the follow on scenario for each player I copy their template for that new scenario to a new file. Then I manually edit each of their units to match the results from the last completed scenario since they are at full strength and undamaged in the template. Then I manually edit in their requested/allowed repairs and replacements and build out the rest of the new mission. If the force could be ported over, I would only need to do the repair/replace update to the scenario file and not worry as much about tracking the between battle damage and adjusting it between files since its carried over and probably a lot more accurate.
IronManBeta

Post by IronManBeta »

Ah yes, this stuff is tricky. Arguably our existing replacement allowances are too high and we are thinking of paring them back to make the campaigns more challenging. Keep us advised on how you make out!

Cheers, Rob

OK, found the first BIG flaw with the campaign rules I worked up. The repair/replacement points system is way out of whack. Units being almost obliterated can pretty much earn enough points to be able to completely refit in time for the next scenario/mission. Working up the new numbers and I believe I will be tripling repair, replacement point costs for this next mission and we'll see how it works out.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Ah yes, this stuff is tricky. Arguably our existing replacement allowances are too high and we are thinking of paring them back to make the campaigns more challenging. Keep us advised on how you make out!

Hi Rob. Just to clarify, I was referring to the manual point buy system I worked up for the commanders to refit after each scenario. It's separate from the system in the actual FCRS campaigns and something I manually track in spreadsheets where players in the campaign have a general refit point pool that they can use to replace/repair KO and FO units between missions. Those points are further adjusted based on whether their medic, mechanic and supply units survive and are "In Command" at the end of the mission.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Yes, the player's units are taken just as they are at the instant the depot file is saved and then brought back into the new scenario via the scenario editor. I'm looking at bringing it directly back into a scenario without going through the scenario editor too but no promises yet.

This sounds great, and is functionality that I wish could be built into a lot more games.
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

DD, have you thought about using a limited 'pool' of spare troops/kit etc that players draw from to simulate immediate divisional level reserves. If people know there are limited spares it ensures a bit of preservation of force planning, communication between players as to who takes priority of replacements etc
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Hi Tazak. Yeah, thought about it but wanted to playtest some before going that way and it looks like I'm going to have to do that. Will just have to write it out and playtest some more.
JohnOsb

Post by JohnOsb »

Hey DD,

If you need any help, let me know.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Hi John, glad to see you back.

Right now I am working on the last round of playtesting, then I'll be rewriting some of the rules that need obvious tweaking. I'll probably start another short playtest after that, maybe 3 missions/scenario's long again.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

How is this project going?

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”