Were not the British Infantry divisions motorized?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Smirfy

RE: Were not the British Infantry divisions motorized?

Post by Smirfy »

What does it say, I see a alot of caveats? In my games the Axis infantry divisions outrun mine even my armour no problem
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

For starters:

MOTORIZED / NON-MOTORIZED: Click on the
button that says ‘MOTORIZED’ or ‘NON-MOTORIZED’ to
change between four different levels of motorization:
§§ 0 - NOT MOTORIZED - No additional trucks.
§§ 1 - MOTORIZED - Trucks as standard.
§§ 2 - MOTORIZED (Temp 1 Turn). Unit has additional
trucks but will hand them back to the pool after
1 turn.
§§ 3 - MOTORIZED (Temp Multiple Turns). Unit has
additional trucks and will retain the trucks until
de-motorized by a player.
The precise impact of the motorization state that results
is dependent on the TOE of the unit. This is because
the level of Motorization that a particular OB is able to
attain is set in the OB Tab. For example a German Inf
Div will only receive additional trucks for supply whilst
a British Infantry Div can become Truck mounted. The
level of Motorization will affect the supply numbers.

If you look into the data the precise impact of motorization on a German and British Infantry Divisions is different!

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

Thank you for the information. Forgive me I find the PDF manuals hard to read on screen and waiting for the physical one. So let me get this correct unless I motorise, a German infantry division horses and all moves the same as an Allied one and with the same fatigue penalties and deploys the same and is essentially the same.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

They may appear superficially the same but under the bonnet they are different. Combat is different as the TOE is different. Most importantly the logistical requirements are significantly different as are the rules for getting freight from depots.

Normally vehicles are used for the delivery of supply and replacement to units from depots. For non-isolated units, German and type (0) non-motorized Allied units (a BR Inf Div is not one of these) can receive supply and replacements from a depot without having to use vehicles up to 3 hexes from the depot through the use of animal drawn transport. However, this will cost double the freight being delivered as the animal drawn transport is assumed to be consuming fodder (if the unit is isolated, it receives the delivery but does not pay double freight). As an exception to the above, Western Allies units within one hex of a depot get deliveries from that depot without having to use vehicles from the depot or paying the double freight cost. In this case it is assumed that organic vehicles from the unit are going and getting the freight themselves.

As supply impacts MPs there is a inherent difference in movement capability.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
ogre

Post by ogre »

ORIGINAL: Smirfy

What does it say, I see a alot of caveats? In my games the Axis infantry divisions outrun mine even my armour no problem

LoL: "I think it is because we [Germans] are retreating faster than they [Allies] can advance"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQxk9aCmBc
Montbrun

Post by Montbrun »

For game purposes, It was decided that, if a unit did not possess organic transport, it would be represented as a "leg" unit, with the in-game ability to "motorize" the unit, as explained above.

British / Commonwealth / British Allied Infantry Divisions were not motorized, although they had a higher degree of mechanization than their German or Italian counterparts. These were essentially "leg" units, with all of their artillery and supply assets motorized. It took one RASC Truck Company to lift one Infantry Brigade for transport. These RASC Companies were held by higher headquarters (Corps and above). The exception to this (and there always is one) is the 2nd New Zealand Division, which possessed organic transport. The Divisional organization for this unit was a left-over from the experimental "Mixed" Divisions.

The US Infantry Divisions were also not motorized, but with a higher degree of mechanization that their German or Italian counterparts. The US had experimented with a "Motorized Division" organization during 1941-1942, but had decided against it, because the Division required as much shipping as an Armored Division, without the combat benefits. US Infantry Divisions were also lifted using US Quartermaster Corps Truck Companies, controlled by higher headquarters.

Brad
WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

Brad,
I'm not sure you are correct. A British Commonwealth Infantry Division had 3 RASC Infantry Brigade Companys as part of its WE.
joslen.Orders of Battle 2WW p 130/131

The NZ Div WE came from its lack of confidence in British Armour, coincidentally the British Army tried the Mixed Division format.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
Great_Ajax

Post by Great_Ajax »

The RASC Companies weren't always assigned to each brigade and their primary task was not troop transport. They also had to transport all of the logistical commodities for the division. In this, they are similar to the current US Army Light Infantry Battalions which have an organic FSC (Forward Support Company). Sure, the FSC can haul the infantry battalion but it can't haul the battalion's 3 day supply of ammunition, fuel, parts, rations at the same time it hauls the troops. Short term movements - okay. Long term motorization - need more assets from higher command.

Trey

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Brad,
I'm not sure you are correct. A British Commonwealth Infantry Division had 3 RASC Infantry Brigade Companys as part of its WE.
joslen.Orders of Battle 2WW p 130/131

The NZ Div WE came from its lack of confidence in British Armour, coincidentally the British Army tried the Mixed Division format.
"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”