Windows 7 vs Windows 8 performance?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

baboeska

Windows 7 vs Windows 8 performance?

Post by baboeska »

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that CMANO runs better in Windows 8 than Windows 7, I was just wondering why that was, and how much of a performance increase I'd be looking at. :)
Also, if that is likely to stay regardless of future patch releases?
(I really like Windows 7 x64 myself...)
ckfinite

RE: Windows 7 vs Windows 8 performance?

Post by ckfinite »

In my limited experience (Win 7, then Win 8 on a much more powerful machine), the performance is roughly similar, or at least so close you won't notice (when I correct for the difference in compute). The WorldWind viewport isn't (AFAIK) hardware accelerated, and as long as your .NET runtime is up to date (read: has the latest JIT), the performance should be similar. My only advice is to turn off Aero, but as the viewport isn't accelerated, that won't help a whole lot.
boeckelr2

Post by boeckelr2 »

Sorry for reviving an old thread....but I was also just reading through the FAQ and was wondering if there was anyone who had experience going from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on the same machine and could comment on whether they saw a noticable performance increase?

BTW I was one of those people who waited for years while Command was being developed....I was part of the last group of beta testers....I bought it when it first came out but after several months life intervened and I put Clmmand down for a while. But I did regularly follow its continued development on Harpoonhq.

Anyway when I read about 1.06 I thought it was time to dust it off and to be honest I'm overwhelmed lol. This is like a new game for me compared to the way it was a year ago. It is absolutely awesome!

I have never seen a group of developers this dedicated. It's obviously a labor of love and it shows. It is really really impressive.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I upgraded a Win7 AMD A8 to Win 8 and then 8.1. Win8 is significantly faster on Win8/8.1. Memory usage is just so much more efficient. You can make 8.1 look and feel just like Win7 with some very minor adjustments.
Maromak

Post by Maromak »

ORIGINAL: thewood1
Win8 is significantly faster on Win8/8.1.

Assume you meant Command is much faster on Win 8/8.1? If so, might be time for me to upgrade...

Thanks
Certa Cito
Paveiv

Post by Paveiv »

Although I think Win 8 is much better system than 7 (after you get rid of the metro UI), there is one rather important change if you like playing old(er) games. Win 8 handles ddraw very differently, it tries to emulate it and does a rather crappy job, many older games does not work at all, has graphical glitches, run slow etc (with most of them, there are workarounds but it is still rather annoying).
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

We have observed a ~30% performance increase when running Command on Win8 as opposed to Win7.
boeckelr2

Post by boeckelr2 »

Thanks for the replies!

It's not as if Command is slow on Windows 7.....but I like big scenarios and it does slow down somewhat. So time to order Windows 8.
Maromak

Post by Maromak »

A 30% improvement is tempting but with my current machine the only time I could do with more speed is when launching massive TLAM attacks.
Certa Cito
tk208

Post by tk208 »

Hmm might have to load it on the Win8 partition and see how it goes.
StellarRat

Post by StellarRat »

You might consider that Windows 9 (10? or whatever they decide to call it) is scheduled for release in the first or second quarter of 2015, so you might want to hold off and get the latest OS when it comes out.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”