manual AD's or auto?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Helpless

RE: manual AD's or auto?

Post by Helpless »

Everyone and no one. Each (non assigned to other AD) group under air HQ can fly this AD.

Edit: each eligible to fly (of particular type, in range, enough ammo/fuel, etc.)
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

So there's no way to tell which aircraft aren't assigned, to give them another mission? Or is it just saying it will use 104 free aircraft - so I can assign the other 28 to a manual AD without interfering with the AI AD?

And, if so, what do these asterisk mean? (In relation to the manual quote above)?

Attachments
witw-s2.jpg
witw-s2.jpg (62 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I'm not sure what you referring to other 28, but numbers you see in parenthesis (104) is current estimate if mission would fly into the center of the target box. It can be very different during execution.

If you assign another AD with the same priority they will be executed consequently and the same air group can take participate in there, providing it is still has enough mileage, ready planes, satisfying doctrine settings, etc.
Pavel Zagzin
Baelfiin

Post by Baelfiin »

asterisk is air group assigned to another air directive
"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

And, if so, what do these asterisk mean? (In relation to the manual quote above)?

These groups are assigned to other ADs.
Pavel Zagzin
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

asterisk is air group assigned to another air directive
Yes, but manual says 2 asterisk mean assigned to this AD - (one = assigned to another AD) and none of the air groups have 2 asterisk?

I'm just trying to work out what free a/c there are from the AI ADs for me to assign my own ADs
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Yes, but manual says 2 askerisk mean assigned to this AD - and none of the air groups have 2 asterisk?

That's right. Since you didn't assign anything to this AD yet.
Pavel Zagzin
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Yes, but the computer has? 104 ac? why aren't they showing up?

edit - just to clarify...

manual says 1 asterisk means asigned to another AD - 2 asterisk assigned to this AD

I haven't assigned any a/c to any AD but some have 1 asterisk - so they are presumably assigned to another AD - that makes sense. Why do none of the a/c have 2 asterisk?

If it only works for manual AD, why do so many have 1 asterisk as I haven't assigned them?

This info is useful to me when browsing AI ADs to see if there are spare ac that I can assign to a manual AD.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

They do show up with asterisks as I can see.

In case with Malta Air Command 104 are not assigned but available.
Pavel Zagzin
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I haven't assigned any a/c to any AD but some have 1 asterisk - so they are presumably assigned to another AD - that makes sense. Why do none of the a/c have 2 asterisk?

If it only works for manual AD, why do so many have 1 asterisk as I haven't assigned them?

One question, did you change air hqs for the air groups recently?
Pavel Zagzin
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

No, but I understand one thing now - the 104 a/c aren't assigned to the AD - they're the free a/c that are available to be assigned. But I still don't get why some airgroups get 1 asterisk (showing they're assigned to an AD) if the ADs don't show which ac are assigned?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

I suggest you to upload a save to the support forum so we could provide better answer without much guessing.
Pavel Zagzin
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

ORIGINAL: Banquet

No, but I understand one thing now - the 104 a/c aren't assigned to the AD - they're the free a/c that are available to be assigned. But I still don't get why some airgroups get 1 asterisk (showing they're assigned to an AD) if the ADs don't show which ac are assigned?

Aren't they for the different commands? 104 are for Malta and * are with TAF groups.
Pavel Zagzin
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Yes, that's a good example of what I don't understand... see screenshot

For TAF, the ac assigned to this mission show **

So why don't those on the air superiority mission with Malta show **?

Attachments
witws3.jpg
witws3.jpg (43.73 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

Because they are not assigned.
Pavel Zagzin
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

For TAF, the ac assigned to this mission show **

TAF / GND SUPPORT. GROUP: 20 (141/113)

MALTA / SUPERIORITY. GROUP: AUTO (104)

The difference is that one (TAF) has some assigned and other (MALTA) don't.
Pavel Zagzin
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Because they are not assigned.

Ok, so what's the difference between the computer AD on Malta that's raised an air superiority mission but not assigned any a/c and this TAF computer AD that's raised a mission and assigned a/c?
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Don't worry, I need to RTFM on what 'AUTO' means - appreciate you trying to help :)
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

if you assign some air group to AD they got locked, and can't participate in any other mission. If you don't assign any it will pick from the pool of available. Assignment does reservation.
Pavel Zagzin
ByTheNumbers

Post by ByTheNumbers »

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Don't worry, I need to RTFM on what 'AUTO' means - appreciate you trying to help :)

Banquet, when you're manually configuring an AD, you can click on the text that's after "GROUPS:". It'll bring up the manual air unit selection window where you can specify what you want. It has filters to let you know why certain squadrons can't fly in that particular AD. Page 29 in the player handbook covers this a bit.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”