manual AD's or auto?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

bairdlander2

manual AD's or auto?

Post by bairdlander2 »

Do you find it better to use manual AD's or auto?Air Directives.
LiquidSky

RE: manual AD's or auto?

Post by LiquidSky »

I see the air war and the ground war as two separate games. I spend a fair bit of time on the air war, probably more then I spend on the ground war. I try to max out my AD's per HQ in an effort to wear down the Luftwaffe...by trying to draw them into my boxes of Air Superiority.

Having said that, I think the computer is smarter then me, and does a better job at interdiction and recon.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great
Devonport

Post by Devonport »

The auto directives work pretty well against the AI in my experience, and are great to use whilst you learn other aspects of the game. Now I always use manual, it's still easy to use, but it enables me to target particular troop concentrations or vary the intensity (e.g. in Normandy to facilitate a breakout regardless of air cost).
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

I'm in the middle of a new scenario 'breakout and pursuit' and right now the auto AD is attacking the ground units the wrong places, so I have to do it manually. Otherwise I have experienced from the few hours I have played that the auto AD is quite good.
ByTheNumbers

Post by ByTheNumbers »

If I choose to have the AI choose, I'll always check what it does before committing to it if it needs tweaked. I don't always like the targets the AI chooses and sometimes the AI makes some odd decisions. For example, in my current game, when Italian units defect in Sardinia and Corsica, my Mediterranean air forces decided to set up all its AD's in the middle of the Tyrrhenian Sea. That sure as heck made me scratch my head as that would have been a waste of air power for that turn.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

I tend to manually setting up my ADs. Once you get the hang of it, you find that it is quite easy to do and maintain.
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

I don't know if there's a way to start from nothing when creating ADs? What I tend to do is let the AI create ADs and then look at all of them and adjust if necessary. At this stage I'm not interfering with the Strat bombing but often amend the ground attack ADs to target one particular hex that I'm trying to break through on. Often the auto ADs will target an area and I just amend the hex and set the area to 0 to get concentration of fire.

Another nice option to have (unless I'm missing it) would be to let the AI do auto on the strategic bombing ADs and leave tactical on manual (or vica versa)

Also, a suggested UI improvement would be to allow each screen button (i.e ground attack, ground support, etc) to toggle open AND close the window, rather than having to hit the X top right. That way we could easily tab through all the screens with much less mouse movement.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Yes there is a way to create ADs. I think the one page aid does a good job of explaining it and the manual does too. If you need help doing it, let me know and I will put something together about it. It really is quite easy to do (at least after you have done it a few hundred times).
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

Thanks, I'll check the one page guide again. When I close the Auto AD Screen without clicking 'set air directive' they still seem to be created anyway but I need to RTFM

edit: think I've found the answer - just need to set all ADs to none and then run them - that removes them all for manual set-up from scratch
Massattack

Post by Massattack »

Playing Italy 43-45, as WA against AXI computer. Used the auto AD's with no complaints until I set up the follow up invasions, one at Salerno, the other near Taranto. After Italian surrender, I found I did not need the Taranto invasion, as I could just ship my troops directly to the ports (albeit unloading a bit slow due lack of port capacity). However when I commenced the Salerno invasion, and turned the support amhib invasion to on in the AD, I found it centred all the planned aerial action around the Taranto site, even though the amphib HQ's for there had insufficient prep points and no ground forces at all in prep with them. At that point I just manually adjusted all the zones to the Salerno site. Could be something I am still ignorant about in connection with amphib HQ setups?
Regards.
marion61

Post by marion61 »

Using the AI for the air war and making adjustments is a good way to learn. To become proficient and to actually win the campaign against a human, manual is important to learn. I've been playing WitW for 7 months now and I'm still finding new things out about the air war, and you can pursue different strategies and still get VP's enough to win so it's flexible. My advice is to learn manual creation, because the AI will never make a Naval Interdiction AD, and if you want to really control the seas around an invasion, Naval Interdiction AD's are the way to go. Your auto naval patrol's do okay, but if the axis want to take your beaches away, they can. Also you can use several of your Air HQ's to do superiority and ground attack AD's that you normally may not use and the AI sure won't use them that way. My two and a half cents [8D] .
cfulbright

Post by cfulbright »

I absolutely use Manual AD's only. Once you set them up in turn 1, they're easy to maintain. The only thing is shifting targets for Strategic recon and heavy bombers every turn, and possibly implementing a "creeping barrage" on ground attacks.

Cary
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

Manual is the way to go once you have the game down in terms of interface
Jajusha

Post by Jajusha »

Using auto as Axis in the 43-45 campaign is a sure way to have no airframes by early 44. Manual only is what i recomend for Axis.
For allies, the Auto is good to pick strat bombing targets, but i then micro manage air sup, recons, patrols and ground attacks.
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

On the air directives screen are the asterisks to show what air groups are assigned working properly?

Manual says:
the number of total and ready
aircraft by type and model that can be further broken
down by air group unit, which can be selected to show
location and the air group unit detail screen. Air group
units attached to the current air directive will be shown
with the ** symbol in front of their name. Air group
units already assigned to some other air directive have
the * symbol in the front

But on first turn of Italy 43-45 I go into ADs for Malta Air Command and see it is flying an Air Superiority AD with 96ac (out of 128 available) but when I go into the air groups to see which one's aren't assigned, there are no asterisks by any of the air groups. Similar issues with other ADs.
joey

Post by joey »

After much review, I have decided on manual. The results tend to be better and the losses a bit less.
Second, manual is not a difficult process. It allows for a air campaign that supports one's ground campaign.
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

There is a check box on the bottom "ASSIGNED AIR GROUPS" which is toggling display for the assigned air groups.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

There is a check box on the bottom "ASSIGNED AIR GROUPS" which is toggling display for the assigned air groups.

I can't see any check boxes on the screen that the part of the manual I quoted is referring to?

For instance, which groups are taking part in the air superiority mission on the screenshot? From the manual there should be a ** by each group taking part.

Attachments
witws1.jpg
witws1.jpg (34.93 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

In this case no groups are assigned as it says AUTO. I was referring to the air groups selection filter.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Banquet

Post by Banquet »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

In this case no groups are assigned as it says AUTO. I was referring to the air groups selection filter.

How do I find out who is assigned under AUTO(the 104 ac)?

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”