Help with aircraft type

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

dereck

Help with aircraft type

Post by dereck »

Would the British Mosquito and Stirling be considered medium or light bombers?

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Steelers708

RE: Help with aircraft type

Post by Steelers708 »

The Stirling was a heavy bomber, I would say the Mosquito was a light bomber.
VilleYrjola

Post by VilleYrjola »

I'd say that putting mosquito simply into one gategory undermines the plane's versatility. Wikipedia (best source I can conjure at the moment) lists the plane as a light bomber, fighter-bomber, night fighter, maritime strike aircraft and photo-reconnaissance platform. The role is of course dependant on the configuration and version of the aircraft, but you get the point. I might even add heavy fighter into the mix.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: dereck

Would the British Mosquito and Stirling be considered medium or light bombers?

Thanks
warspite1

The Stirling was the first of the British four-engine heavies

Attachments
Short_Stir..er_N6101.jpg
Short_Stir..er_N6101.jpg (209.66 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

As Romarus says, calling the Mosquito anything in particular does not do justice to the wooden wonder. In technical terms, this aircraft was simply "sex-on-a-stick".

Attachments
Mosquito.jpg
Mosquito.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Smirfy

Post by Smirfy »

The B17 could take 4000lbs of bombs to Berlin the Mosquito took 4000lbs of Bombs to Berlin.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Smirfy

The B17 could take 4000lbs of bombs to Berlin the Mosquito took 4000lbs of Bombs to Berlin.
warspite1

....and be a fighter, night fighter, pathfinder, photo reconnaissance, maritime strike aircraft.

Quite simply one of the World War II's greatest aircraft [&o]

jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

Talking about planes. Is it always advisable to upgrade to a newer plane? If it is, why not choose auto upgrade in stead of manual upgrade?
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

It is an interesting case of how stats can not be the whole story:
Stirling: first RAF 4 engine heavy bomber, nominally not too dissimilar to Halifax and Lancaster. However, classic illustration of how mistaken/poor requirements can condemn a plane to mediocrity at best. The wingspan was limited to 100ft to enable the plane to fit into prewar RAF hangers. This limited altitude and performance. The bomb bay was big, but divided so the aircraft could not carry anything larger than a 2000lb bomb (no cookies, 8000lb HC and not even a dream of 12000HC or Tallboy). Overall, a first attempt, and it showed.

Mosquito, as has been pointed out, had a 4000lb bomb load, and in later versions could be fitted with a set of bulged bomb bay doors which meant the load could be a single cookie if required. Was fast, and versatile. The B versions were largely immune to interception until late war, and being wooden had a reasonably low radar signature. The same basic airframe became the definitive RAF NF (being much better than the Beaufighter). But also made a very good FB (probably better thought of as a fast light bomber in the 'souped up B25" but better school, rather than a P47 or Typhoon equivalent). FBV1 had 4 x 20 mm cannon & 4 .303MG, 2000lb bomb load, and was capable of giving poorly handled single seater fighters a battle. Truly one of the best a/c of WW2.

After the war, was developed as a torpedo bomber as well. Basically the Mosquito was the Neaufighter's worst nightmare (anything you can so I can do better!).

Back to the original question, in game Stirlings need changing out for Halifax or (better) Lanc. I keep the Mosquitoes and upgrade as I can (BIV to BIX to BXVI) as available. then use the Mosquitoes for the silly raids that would cost a lot of the heavies. Oh, and formally the Mosquito was a light bomber. In the same way that a Lion is just a big domestic cat![;)]
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

ORIGINAL: jnpoint

Talking about planes. Is it always advisable to upgrade to a newer plane? If it is, why not choose auto upgrade in stead of manual upgrade?
Depends. some upgrades swap (say) speed or range for increased bombload. Some are all round better. Many light bomber upgrades are in the former, but many fighters are in the latter. Spit IX/XVI is in a different league to Spit V. Baltmore, Boston, or B24 upgrades are more a matter of taste and pools. I dont know what the full balance is between auto and manual is yet - I have policies like: change all Stirlings and Spit Vs out ASAP, leave others.
I have a cunning plan, My Lord

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”