Invading India

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Coach Zuck

Invading India

Post by Coach Zuck »

[font="Arial"][font="Arial"]Looking for some feedback JFB or AFB let me know your experiences with the Japanese Player invading India

In my current game I invaded India while British forces still hold Magwe, Mandalay and Northern Burma
I invaded Diamond Harbor and then took Calcuta, Asanol, Jessore, & Howrah; other forces currently fighting for Jemshedpur with another force heading for Cuttack.
My opponent already has seen 4 IJA Infantry Divisions plus several Tank, Engineer and Artillery Regiments as well as some PARAs used to seize Jessore. He also knows that I now have torpedo carrying NELLS there since I put 2 torpedoes in the RESOLUTION last turn.

What has happened in games in which you or your opponents invaded India?
What worked?
What would you do different? etc[/font][/font]
floydg

RE: Invading India

Post by floydg »

Won't work. Give up. Just keep your forces in Japan.

[:D]
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
Coach Zuck

Post by Coach Zuck »

Stop hijacking my thread and finish the turn![:-][:D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I think you've got to ask about motive for choosing that theatre before any tactical considerations. Why would a Japanese player benefit from the considerable force distribution required here as opposed to elsewhere (e.g., Australia, NZ, Hawaii, etc.)? What is it you would hope to accomplish as a Japanese player?

For myself as a Japanese player, I'm trying to forestall the inevitable Allied counteroffensive and buttress my position with 'cheap' victory points. Land that is 'expensive' in effort and blood isn't worth it. I want to quickly and efficiently capture or kill Allied troops for the majority of my victory points. IMO, the best place(s) to do this are where they can be surrounded and killed off. Islands (Ceylon certainly qualifies) make ideal candidates for this-especially early in the war.

Mainland India is problematic as an invader. It's extremely difficult-nay impossible-to encircle a wary Allied player. The road and rail network in India is so good that they will be able to evict most of their army to "somewhere else" rather than allow themselves to be surrounded. Thus, unless you plan on conquering the entirety of India, it will be manifestly difficult for you to capture or kill an opponent's troops when they are in various stages of falling back. Plus there's the pain-in-the-neck garrison requirements that bleed off your offensive strength as you press towards Bombay and Karachi. Oh-did I mention the 'line of death' massive reinforcements when you near Delhi? Yeah, there's those too.

Anyhow, I think there are some excellent and attainable objectives in the Indian theatre. But you've got to clarify with yourself why you want them, what your long-term objectives are by engaging here and if the opportunity cost for your forces is worth the time and effort required by such an endeavor.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

As usual CB, good food for thought. I've always wondered/considered about a foray into NE India. Objective being to further isolate China and to prevent Allied buildup of the area. Protecting Burma somewhat. As a raid type of thing. Go in mess things up as much as possible, leave. Don't know if it'd be worth it though.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

Well, I have invaded India twice, both times reason was the same. I wanted to have some action in '42. Without any invasion making turns after march and till August are usually very boring. 2nd reason is that I prefer to have Allied divisions in India than on Sumatra. In my opinion it does not matter how bloody it can be, still it is better than your opponent bases with B-24 in range of yours oil.
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

A decent reason may be to paralyze your opponent's dreams of conquering Burma & Singapore. Push him back in India, and he will be relieved just to recapture what was held historically. And you can keep him out of range of the oil. However, it seems like the trick from my own games and reading AAR's is to pull out in time-- because if you are overly committed to India the Allies can strike hard and fast in the Central/South Pacific. Land offensives are much slower than amphibious leapfrogs, so making him cover a lot of ground on mainland Asia is a good idea (Remember: "Never start a land war in Asia!") But how far do you need to go India to make your opponent's counteroffensive tediously slow and ineffective?

I also agree with Chickenboy- you are better off killing Allied units as efficiently as possible rather than taking ground.
John 21:25
btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: floydg

Won't work. Give up. Just keep your forces in Japan.

I agree...[:D] However if you wish to lose some LCU's in india, I think thats fine.[:D][:D][:D]....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

But is the cutting of supplies from India to China not worth it? That's a life line to Chinese resistance for the Chinese army.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

But is the cutting of supplies to India not worth it? That's a life line to Chinese resistance for the Chinese army.

Zackly.[:'(]

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Coach Zuck

Post by Coach Zuck »

"But is the cutting of supplies to India not worth it? That's a life line to Chinese resistance for the Chinese army. "

Dr Hal & rustyi

I hope so![;)]

Plus I hope to garner a bunch of HI at the same time.
Have yet to go far into the Campaign Game, but every thing I hear tells me that the JAPANESE need as many HI points as they can get!
As well as to slow any possible advance from India in to DEI from the "British" side, which seems to me to be extremely vulnerable.

Plus in all my base WitP games (including one versus my esteemed opponent) I had invaded Australia, so I hoped to surprise him!
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Plus in all my base WitP games (including one versus my esteemed opponent) I had invaded Australia, so I hoped to surprise him!

Tricksy Japanese players.[:D]

P.S. Hopefully he's not reading this.

Coach Zuck

Post by Coach Zuck »

P.S. Hopefully he's not reading this.

100% He is[:'(]

He's the TRACKER boy!
Coach Zuck

Post by Coach Zuck »

rustysi

Where on Long Island where you from?

I stil live on LI. My opponent Floyd & I both grew up in Bellmore (Nassau County)
Marshall

Post by Marshall »

If I invade India as Japanese, I would go for the capture of resources, supply and fuel.
conquer the region of Calcutta, setup defenses along the river, get the HI for 4 to 5 months max, then bug out.
it will get your opponent to ship in reinforcements to India, keeping them out of the central theatre as well

but in my view, you have to prepare to bug out, get Calcutta early on, first months of 42, then in the summer bug out, redeploy.

use raiders between Australia and India, to try to intercept the troop convoys inbound for India[8D].

But bug out late summer 42, have your defenses prepared in northern Burma, fall back, and redeploy some divisions back to the central and SE theatre.

Greyjoy invades India, you can read his AAR, to see what the damage is.

But India in a gamble for Japan, it can pay off, but you can also be sucked in way over your head if you not bug out in time[:-].
the prize in resources and supply is also determined of the allied player way of handling the resources in India.

I like China more, as main objective, just for the VP, and the troops that come available after its wiped out.
these troops can help in Burma or in some measure in other theatres as well
And China has OIL! yes it will be a constant steady flow of the black gold, heading towards japan for the entire war! (unless you awake the Russians early [:D])

Hawaii I actually never invaded as Japan, I always thought of it as impossible to capture and keep.
No experience there.

Northern Australia is always nice to bag in, as it will keep the bombers out of reach of the oil...

anyway, this is my humble opinion on the matter.

DR
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Check out the Greyjoy AAR. He is playing a high skill opponent and seems to be doing rather well in India proper. Personally I think it potentially provides high risk of never getting out, with limited long-term benefit. I believe if you can grab ceylon on the cheap and keep it well into '43 you obviate by outflanking bigger troubles in India/Burma.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Concur.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Marshall

If I invade India as Japanese, I would go for the capture of resources, supply and fuel.
conquer the region of Calcutta, setup defenses along the river, get the HI for 4 to 5 months max, then bug out.
it will get your opponent to ship in reinforcements to India, keeping them out of the central theatre as well

but in my view, you have to prepare to bug out, get Calcutta early on, first months of 42, then in the summer bug out, redeploy.

use raiders between Australia and India, to try to intercept the troop convoys inbound for India[8D].

But bug out late summer 42, have your defenses prepared in northern Burma, fall back, and redeploy some divisions back to the central and SE theatre.

Greyjoy invades India, you can read his AAR, to see what the damage is.

But India in a gamble for Japan, it can pay off, but you can also be sucked in way over your head if you not bug out in time[:-].
the prize in resources and supply is also determined of the allied player way of handling the resources in India.

I like China more, as main objective, just for the VP, and the troops that come available after its wiped out.
these troops can help in Burma or in some measure in other theatres as well
And China has OIL! yes it will be a constant steady flow of the black gold, heading towards japan for the entire war! (unless you awake the Russians early [:D])

Hawaii I actually never invaded as Japan, I always thought of it as impossible to capture and keep.
No experience there.

Northern Australia is always nice to bag in, as it will keep the bombers out of reach of the oil...

anyway, this is my humble opinion on the matter.

+1

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Check out the Greyjoy AAR. He is playing a high skill opponent and seems to be doing rather well in India proper. Personally I think it potentially provides high risk of never getting out, with limited long-term benefit. I believe if you can grab ceylon on the cheap and keep it well into '43 you obviate by outflanking bigger troubles in India/Burma.

Must say this sounds good too, and easier. Decisions, decisions.[:D]

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Coach Zuck

rustysi

Where on Long Island where you from?

I stil live on LI. My opponent Floyd & I both grew up in Bellmore (Nassau County)

Hehe, yeah Zuck I know Bellmore is Nassau County. As a matter of fact my daughter and son-in-law just brought a house there. Had Thanksgiving day there with a bunch of family. Great day. Me, I live in East Islip. If you'd like PM me and we can talk further.

Return to “The War Room”