Arcs random vs setting a start and end arc

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

sufa101loofa

Arcs random vs setting a start and end arc

Post by sufa101loofa »

I am relatively new to the game and I was wondering what are the pros and cons of using arcs random for your Air Searches?
We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...Winston Churchill
Alfred

RE: Arcs random vs setting a start and end arc

Post by Alfred »

Although often asked, there is no particularly good consolidated thread which thoroughly deals with naval search/ASW arcs.  This thread is probably the best single thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3299579&mpage=1&key=search%2Carc&#3299641

One of the problems you will encounter is that there are some very strong advocates for not setting search arcs but they tend to hide the details as to why they can get away with it.  Newbies read these no set arcs assertions and just adopt the principle that it works perfectly and obviates the case for setting arcs.  From that urban myths are created.  As always the devil is in the detail.  Particularly when reading my posts, one has to be alert to exactly what I say and the nuances I point out.

1.  Setting search arcs does increase micromanagement.  Players who are averse to micromanagement or at least want to minimise, tend to be very enthusiastic at the prospect of avoiding this additional work load.

2.  There is an automatic 360 degree search arc for up to 4 hexes on all naval search/ASW missions.  Set the mission out to 4 hexes, you get 360 degree coverage irrespective of what you do.  Set the mission out to 8 hexes, you get 360 coverage up to 4 hexes out.  Coverage for hexes 5-8 inclusive depends on what you do.  Set the mission out to 12 hexes, you get 360 coverage up to 4 hexes out, with coverage of hexes 5-12 inclusive dependent on your selection.

3.  Consider the range of your searching aircraft.  For example, Allied float planes are not really going to stretch the auto 360 degree coverage are they.  So there is no point in setting naval search arcs for them as the code has already taken care of that plus if you did specifically set such search arcs you would need to reset them every time a change of task force travel direction occurs as search arcs are not dynamic.

4.  Usually when the don't bother setting search arcs adherents assert that in their games they do very well without setting them they fail to point out that the DL and MDL of enemy task forces are also determined by other factors besides the efforts of their own planes flying search missions.  They also fail to point out that the sheer weight of embarked planes set to search usually is much greater than what they have on land and thus the malus associated with not setting arcs is mitigated.  As I said details, details which are very easy to overlook by newbies.

5.  Not all sea hexes are created equal.  There are frontal and backdoor approaches to most ports.  How often do you really think an enemy task force is going to, or is even capable, to come in from the back door.  Yet, because it is random, you will get backdoor searching if not set.

Experienced players who know exactly what they are doing and what the enemy capabilities are, can get away without setting search arcs.  They save themselves some micromanagement, but that is somewhat limited as setting of search arcs for land based aircraft is largely a one time set and forget task, only needed to be revisited when a major redrawing of the sea frontlines occurs.  It will superficially appear to be as effective as setting arcs, but it isn't.  So the real question for you is does the additional micromanagement represent an acceptable cost for the improved search footprint obtained when setting arcs.

Alfred
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

Is the ASW range still halved i.e. only a 2 hex range automatic 360 degree search arc for ASW?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Never been mentioned by a dev that the auto 360 degree search is halved to 2 hexes for ASW.

Logically it would make sense that it does not halve.  Different aircraft models have different ranges and the halving concept is based on their organic endurance.  The auto 360 is a different concept which pays no regard to organic model endurance which is greater than 4, and it represents an abstraction. 

Of course it is possible to code it so that it does halve but I doubt that the additional work to do so for classical WITP (not changed for AE) was considered worthwhile.

Alfred 
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Never knew about the 4 hex 360 degree auto search - thanks much Alfred!
DSwain

Post by DSwain »

I never knew about the 4 hex / 360 search situation - thanks for the information, Alfred.

Personally, I rather enjoy manually setting search arcs. I get an odd sense of satisfaction when I've finished and I can then click on {Show arcs] and I see a lovely, thick amount of search in the required direction(s).
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

More great info, as usual, Alfred!
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
leehunt27@bloomberg.net

Post by leehunt27@bloomberg.net »

Thanks also for the 4 hex 360 degree info!

I personally fit into the category of one who doesn't micromanage-- except at obvious situations like Rangoon where your search arcs aren't needed overland.

Two quick reasons: 1) you may forget that you have a patrol squadron set to only search to the east, then transfer them to some place like Rangoon where you only need to search west. Thus you have float planes arcing endlessly over the jungle, oblivious to Allied warships approaching from India... Mistakes like that do happen in this game with so many thousands of orders to give!

2) On naval ships, if you set search arcs, they do not adjust for the movement of the ship. So let's say you think the KB may come from the north and set the search arc that way, if your fleet moves or reacts to a different location, you are searching north still when your position relative to the possible KB location has changed!
John 21:25
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Typically I set arcs from land bases if there is a limited approach. For TF's I don't....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

There is an automatic 360 degree search arc for up to 4 hexes on all naval search/ASW missions.

Thanks Alfred, I'd read this a while ago but couldn't recall if it was 3 or 4 hexes. Wanted to ask, but never did and just looked for it once in a while. Of course never found it 'til now. Should make things a bit easier.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “The War Room”