Allied manpoer repair.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

MisterBoats

Allied manpoer repair.

Post by MisterBoats »

Does anyone use APs for the manpower repairs at captured towns? I'm not sure about the effect of those repairs on the logistics system. I assume manpower levels represent the local laborers who can assist with repairs and cargo handling. I don't want to waste APs on them if I don't need to.
Joel Billings

RE: Allied manpoer repair.

Post by Joel Billings »

Probably not worth it. You may get a little extra help digging forts (can't remember if the Allies get any help), and as Allies, you'll get French manpower for your units from French manpower centers, but generally it's not that important for the Allies to spend APs on manpower centers. The Germans might want to for some larger centers as this will gain them some replacements and cost the Allies some VPs they might otherwise have gotten for strategic bombing.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
MisterBoats

Post by MisterBoats »

Joel,

As always, thanks for the reply. I checked in just before hitting the rack -- my eyes and brain are getting a real workout with WITW. This is a magnificent game. Well worth every penny. I finished Rick Atkinson's trilogy about the ETO last year, and this simulation really nails the problems that faced both sides. As I'm playing, I can envision the mountains of crates of supplies sitting at depots, and the efforts of the COM Z men in moving freight forward.

70 years ago, my uncle was pulled out of the line in the Ardennes due to trench foot. He had been a machine gunner with a tank destroyer unit attached to the 28th Division. He left the line the day before the offensive began. His regiment, and I think most of the division, was wiped out in the following days. He was transferred to the Red Ball Express as a mechanic (his original assignment, before being given a .30 cal. machine gun in Normandy). I had one good discussion with him about the war before Alzheimer's wiped out his memory, but even after 40 years he had a hard time reliving the combat. I salute all of the servicemen and women who endured that harshest of winters.
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

So repairing rail network is not worth it? I was just wondering how to repair railroads manually outside towns?
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

Repairing the rail network is not only worth it, it is required for the supplies. Use the RR Construction units (they show a RRC value on the counter). If you need more help, let me know.
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

Also make sure you also repair the railyards - the WitW needs them to provide the rolling stock to move stuff on your rails.  Railyards with a depot repair quicker.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”