[FIXED B629] 1.06...same crash as before -- Question?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

batek688

[FIXED B629] 1.06...same crash as before -- Question?

Post by batek688 »

I've posted numerous crash-dumps in the past from the beta build so I decided to "recreate" under the new 1.06. One example, in The Big Stick I open up with the SSGN launching 154 Tomahawks as a giant SEAD first strike on the Syrian coastline while my patrol and support boxes are being populated. Just as in the beta version (573 iirc), in the middle of the tomahawk strike I get the out of memory exception thrown. (Middle = the strikes on the southern coast have gone in and the middle/northern coast are beginning to detect and be engaged by Syrian SAMs. The patrol/support mission includes ELINT/Surv aircraft which are detecting all sorts of stuff as well.)

Now, my question (and the reason I didn't post it yet): Do I need to go and perform a database update for all scenarios first? I assume yes, but didn't know if part of the installation process included scenario upgrades to the new DB -- and if not, perhaps this is something to put into the "hey, for 1.07/2.0's installer...".

Thanks!

Bill
JPFisher55

RE: 1.06...same crash as before -- Question?

Post by JPFisher55 »

When I play Command, I first set my computer performance to best program performance rather than windows choices. This is done under advanced system settings for the properties for the whole computer in windows explorer.

I have not had one crash since I started doing this step.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I just ran it under version 403 DB, which I had as the original release on that scenario and under DB 420, the current release DB version in 1.06. Played to conclusion on both under acceleration of 1:15. No crashes. I launched all 154 missiles at once and played until the were all off the board. The game slowed a little when the missles were all in the air and went to pulses of about 150ms to 300ms for few minutes.

Note that this scenario has almost 1100 active units and then you throw 150 missiles plus a few dozen SAMs into it. That sized scenario is typical of what can cause Command to crash on some PCs. Not only that, I suspect you have not rebuilt the scenario under a current DB. That is the responsibility of the player or scenario author on community scenarios.

I think you have something going on on your PC that makes so it can't handle a scenario this large...drivers, other programs, etc.

I am running a midrange laptop with AMD A10 at 2.7Mhz, 8Mb RAM, and windows 8.1.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I just ran it again and launched all Tomahawks...almost 400. There were a ton on SAMs launch at them and active units went up to almost 1500. Scans slowed down to almost 4000 - 6000ms. Once the missiles were done, it went back to 50ms scans.
batek688

Post by batek688 »

Well, I went from "mostly solid/rare crashes" to crashes all the time back when I put build 573 on. The crashes are almost always "out of memory." My rig is an FX-8 series CPU w/ 16GB on an SSD -- hardly short of memory, but not relevant since this is an x86 prog. Win7, 64 bit. I'll try the performance settings suggested by JPFisher55 and let you know.

Thanks for the suggestions.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Do you get those crashes in smaller scenarios. Do the scans start to spike with a lot of missiles in the air?
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

I have to concur, I'm afraid. I am experiencing frequent out of memory crashes to desktop. Of course these are very large, and combat intensive scenarios with hundreds of airborne missiles and OECM blaring... but my 1.50 build plays them with hardly a hiccup. I am playing a large WW3 nuclear scenario right now with the new DB3000 and it's chugging right along. 1.60 is crashing somewhere between every 5 to 10 mins during the same battles. I'll patiently wait for a fix, don't worry. [8D]
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

What is 1.5 and 1.6?
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Sorry. I'm playing Build 570, currently.
And so fight on!
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I am going to go back to my old tried and true...every system has a limited amount of resources. If you are consistently getting out of memory errors on large scenarios that other people can play, you are most likely at the intersection of your system configuration and the games upper footprint. If you can run smaller scenarios without crashes, then until the devs can continue optimizing, you will probably be stuck with scenarios of less 1000 AU and no huge nuclear exchanges.

I have found those boundaries on my system and steer clear of them.

People keep asking for stuff and the devs keep putting it in. In large scenarios, you might be right at the cusp of operability. Add a couple Lua scripts or the new algorithms for unit proficiency, and you might just tip over the top. There are no free lunches in memory management...just better error-trapping.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

ORIGINAL: NakedWeasel

Sorry. I'm playing Build 570, currently.

so you mean 1.05.0 and 1.06.0?

Do you have the same issue in 1.05.02 (573)
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

I never downloaded 573, I don't think. Was that the Beta that was released several months ago? In any case, 570 is stable, and the newest release is simply not so much.
And so fight on!
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Guys can you post your files and could you let us know your general computer stats? Wondering if there is a connection.

Thanks!

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: batek688

I've posted numerous crash-dumps in the past from the beta build so I decided to "recreate" under the new 1.06. One example, in The Big Stick I open up with the SSGN launching 154 Tomahawks as a giant SEAD first strike on the Syrian coastline while my patrol and support boxes are being populated. Just as in the beta version (573 iirc), in the middle of the tomahawk strike I get the out of memory exception thrown. (Middle = the strikes on the southern coast have gone in and the middle/northern coast are beginning to detect and be engaged by Syrian SAMs. The patrol/support mission includes ELINT/Surv aircraft which are detecting all sorts of stuff as well.)

Now, my question (and the reason I didn't post it yet): Do I need to go and perform a database update for all scenarios first? I assume yes, but didn't know if part of the installation process included scenario upgrades to the new DB -- and if not, perhaps this is something to put into the "hey, for 1.07/2.0's installer...".

Thanks!

Bill
e

Thanks for reporting and sorry we didn't get it.

Updating can only help as Command has changed significantly since that scenario was built.

Thanks!

Mike
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: NakedWeasel
I have to concur, I'm afraid. I am experiencing frequent out of memory crashes to desktop. Of course these are very large, and combat intensive scenarios with hundreds of airborne missiles and OECM blaring... but my 1.50 build plays them with hardly a hiccup. I am playing a large WW3 nuclear scenario right now with the new DB3000 and it's chugging right along. 1.60 is crashing somewhere between every 5 to 10 mins during the same battles. I'll patiently wait for a fix, don't worry. [8D]

...and to diagnose/troubleshoot the reason for the slowdown in this specific scenario, we'll telepathically read it from your mind [:D]

Alternatively, you can upload it and let us have a look at it [:)]
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Here's an example of the crashes I'm getting.

Happens regularly after a few minutes of play---- game runs fine then slows down and crashes. System specs or duel core 2.4, Windows 7 64 bit, ATI Radeon 5770, and 2 GB ram. Let me know if you need the autosave as well.

Attachments
Commanderror.jpg
Commanderror.jpg (35.86 KiB) Viewed 377 times
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

And well looks like the jpg I tried to upload is blank. Is there an e-mail address where I can just send the png file and autosave to? The forum requirements for zip and file type are a pain...
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Here's one more try at uploading the error.

Attachments
commanderror.jpg
commanderror.jpg (624.27 KiB) Viewed 377 times
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

And the autosave.

Sorry for that taking multiple posts. Let me know if you need more info.
Attachments
Autosave.zip
(65.36 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

I loaded your autosave and started running it in build 624 at 15 min speed in the background while I did other stuff and sure enough after like twenty minutes real life time it crashed on me:

Running at again now to see if it will crash again and if at exact same time or not.
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

Return to “Tech Support”